15 Gallon Saltwater Build

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Only time will tell but getting along together is a great sign of a pair. Keep in mind that pairs don't always last either. If things go awry, I'm sure you'll notice through your observations. Just remember that damsels (clowns are damsels too) have some fight in them, so be prepared for any intervention that may become necessary.

Just an FYI... individuals may not always live up to their reputations. I got a clown, ohhhh, idk, maybe a little less than a year ago. At the fish store, he was living in a tiny tank with a yellow watchman goby, and I wanted and bought both. They quarantined together in a rather bare tank and seemed to be buddies there too. Buddies they remained in the reef tank, though I was at first reluctant to talk about how nice my clown is. It is true though.

Sometimes, the clown sleeps just in front of the entrance to the goby's lair and they eat together just fine. More recently, a royal gramma (a basslet, who are said to have attitude as well) joined them. If I'm not mistaken, I saw the clown on goby guard duty at first (even though the gramma hid for his first day or two in the reef tank.) The clown will usually use the whole tank and spend a decent chunk of his day being hosted by a torch coral... but when the gramma appeared, the clown spent more time near the goby than had been his usual. Now, the clown is even friends with the gramma. They'll chill together front and center quite a bit, and sometimes when the clown is with the torch, the gramma hangs nearby. So, lol, the clown is the friendliest in the tank. He'll hang with the goby or the gramma, but the goby and the gramma do not appear to be friendly... though they don't fight either. If I'm honest, the goby has shown more aggression than either of the others, but it's almost comical. He doesn't hurt the others, but if the gramma comes too near to the lair (which houses the goby's pistol shrimp), or the clown tries to enter, (as he sometimes appears to do), or either of the other fish goes after a piece of food the goby had his eye on, then it's the goby opening his big mouth and going after them as if to bite. That's the biggest aggression in the tank.

Why am I telling you all this? To say that fish shouldn't be fully judged without observation of the individual, and in my personal experience, fish may often surprise us. I worried more about the clown's possible aggression than any other sw fish I've had... but he is everyone's buddy.

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That’s hilarious. The damsel seemed to only get feisty when a clown got too close to it’s rock. Now I stacked the rocks with two caves. Damsel seems better behaved. Clowns only look black on camera LOL.
Edit: So this is bizarre. I saw my damsel come out of it’s cave with a chunk of algae from the glass and deposit it outside. Do other fish do house keeping?

Attachments

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is gonna sound mean but I honestly think most salty fish are smarter than most freshies... at least, if we're talking nano species. I've never kept big fish. Anyway, yes, I'd say the Damsel is capable of housekeeping. Yesterday, for the first time since I got him, I saw my clown moving sand by picking pieces up with his mouth and spitting them elsewhere. It was the strangest thing... he was just moving a little sand from right in front of a coral and depositing it an inch or two away. I cannot imagine what was in his head because this is not where he spends a lot of time and he only moved 6-8 grains of sand, but I know he had something in his mind to accomplish.:hilarious: It was pretty funny because most of the time, the clown seems like a silly kind of fish, just going with the flow, ya know? While all my other salty fish have had some type of burrow that they did at least a little work on, and you wouldn't believe the amount of sand the goby can move in a short period (I sometimes have to dig polyps of my Duncan coral out from under his bulldozing.) In my experience, lots of fish show a little work ethic, but the clown always just seems to do what he wants.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Saltwater fish in general have way more personality and cool beahvior quirks than freshwater. Larger fish can have interesting personalities as well. My One Spot Foxface is a complete spaz and will periodically dart up to the surface and splash water as it does a quick about turn. It also acts like a chipper shredder for seaweed and if I wanted to it would let me hand feed it. My Wrasses are constantly entertaining with the "dance for it's dinner" from my melanurus and the bold and curious leopard wrasse that is the ultimate sneak theif when it comes to food. They also periodically grab food and lead all my fish on a chase around the tank.

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Woah. A mega thread revive? So one clown was murdered the more aggressive clown which sucks because they were friends in the store. My dad from out of state has offered me a Maxi Mini Carpet Anemone. From what I have researched so far, they rarely host clowns, but what are you’re experiences? Also, would it be practical to ship this critter? And how would my dad go about doing it?

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Woah. A mega thread revive? So one clown was murdered the more aggressive clown which sucks because they were friends in the store. My dad from out of state has offered me a Maxi Mini Carpet Anemone. From what I have researched so far, they rarely host clowns, but what are you’re experiences? Also, would it be practical to ship this critter? And how would my dad go about doing it?
If a maxi mini nem hosted a clown the clown would probably be eaten lol. Maxi minis are fish eaters, extremely extremely sticky. You can definitely put it in, but imo for me they're not worth the risk. If you shipped it you would want to ship it overnight and even then shipping nems is always risky

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ok. I’m going to take a risk, worse case, I turn it in for store credit. Or make the whole tank reef only.

Zentuckyfriedchicken

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So I got sent a nem and frogspawn a week ago. They are both doing great. The carpet is kinda small and really flat so both fish have ignored it. I love how the frogspawn glows under my blue light.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom