15 Gallon High - Stocking Options

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by wu718tang, Jul 12, 2015.

1. wu718tang

wu718tangValued MemberMember

Hi,
    I'm helping a friend set up his first tank and I want to get some input on what I have in mind for stocking it with fish.

It's a 15g column with an ok filter (came in a kit, basic Aqueon for max of 20g I believe). Currently going through the cycle process. I explained that he'll have to keep up with cleaning, regular water changes, etc.

To make the most out of the space in the high tank, I was thinking to have 3 separate "levels" of fish, based on where they'd swim in the tank.

Top of the tank: centerpiece fish. Was thinking a smaller sized angel or probably a guorami.

Mid: school of small tetras or something similar. Was thinking 6-8 neons, cardinal tetras, glowlight tetras, black neons, danios, white cloud, etc. (I would add 3 or 4 from this group to start the live-fish bio load cycle)

Bottom: 3-4 smaller cory (panda, etc.) or maybe 3 otocinclus (after the tank is cycled, more established - I know they can be sensitive to conditions.

My main questions:
    What does everyone think of my plan above (in terms of not wasting any space in the high tank, bio load, compatibility, etc.) ?

I think 2 guoramis would be too much, right? (He said he wants 2, but I don't think it's a good idea)

Is an angelfish possible? I know some get bigger than others. I was at Petland today and they had "assorted angelfish" that were small, but they were young and all different types...

Thanks in advance for the input!

2. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

What are the dimensions?
    Angelfish are definitely a no.

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

You'd only be able to put one set of middle swimmers. Not much room to work with in a tank that is 20" long.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    wu718tang

Dimensions: 13.6" x 13.8" x 24.8"

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Ouch that's gonna be very hard to work with...

6. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Wow, yeah..... a maybe one of the smallest types of Akysis?
    None of the fish you mentioned in the first post will work.
    And cories and otos need groups of 6+ of their own species.

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

For bottom feeders, I'd just go with a group of snails. Fish will take up what limited space you have.

8. OP
    OP
    wu718tang

Ok, thanks.

What about the guorami?

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Only gourami I would do in your tank is a sparkling gourami.

10. bettamars

bettamarsValued MemberMember

I saw a thread on here about a 15g column before and people suggested 2 dwarf puffers (male and female or 2 females). I wouldn't do this if you're not willing to feed live/frozen food everyday though because they won't eat flake or pellet food.

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Right, with dwarf puffers, you would have to have a constant supply of snails for them to feed on.

12. bettamars

bettamarsValued MemberMember

I've read that they don't have to have snail - although they do love them. Just some frozen bloodworms, but some puffers are picky, but almost all love live black worms and they're very cheap I've heard. So snails, live black worms, frozen bloodworms, etc. can be fed to them. But make sure not to feed Malaysian trumpet snails or too large of snails as they're only 1 inch big. I've read that baby ramshorn snails are good for them.

Man do I want to get a dwarf puffers in the future :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice