15 Gallon aquarium - how many Corydoras pygmaeus?

Riwaz

Hello,

I always liked Corydoras pygmaeus. Wanted to add them to other tank (old question) but decided to make a special tank just for them. It is a 54 liter (60x30x30 cm) aquarium which is almost 15 gallon. Filter you can see in the photos it is Aquael pat mini with 2 sponges. Also added 2 layers of crushed lava rock into the substrate. I tried to create for the corys a lot of shady areas and the light is also not so bright. Want to also order aquatic botanic decorations like leafs and pinecones, ... and add them as another places for them to hide in open areas.

front-view.jpg

tunnel_and_filter.jpg

side.jpg

I want to have in the tank 3-4 amano shrimp, some snails (1x fanus ater capucino, ramshorn snails, 1x nerite snail) and the pygmy cories. How many of the cories do you think I can have in this tank? Or do you think that I should get some dither fish for them to make them more active and exploring the tank? I was researching the subject of: if to get more cories or add dither fish. Found out that more cories could be a better option. But if you think otherwise please let me know.

Thank you very much.
Have a nice day!

carsonsgjs

Nice looking tank. 6-8 pygmys would work in there, maybe a couple more but see how you get on first. As for dither fish, ive always found pgymys to be quite active so you shouldnt need other fish to bring them out.

airedwin

You can have a lot. I'd say 15+

Riwaz

carsonsgjs said:
Nice looking tank. 6-8 pygmys would work in there, maybe a couple more but see how you get on first. As for dither fish, ive always found pgymys to be quite active so you shouldnt need other fish to bring them out.
Thank you. I have 8 right now in quarantine. So will add these and see afterwards. But I was hoping to get atleast 14 in the end. I have never kept pygmies but found on this forum that for some people they are hiding and are being skittish. I find my also a little bit skittish. But that could be because they are not used to me yet and also the quarantine tank is smaller.
airedwin said:
You can have a lot. I'd say 15+
Thank you for your answer. I was hoping for these kind of numbers. Will see if other people respond and also how the 8 will act after I move them from quarantine.

SnookusFish

I agree with the 15+ too. Pygmy corys prefer groups over 10 so do at least that, 15+ better. They could breed in there too.

Riwaz

SnookusFish said:
I agree with the 15+ too. Pygmy corys prefer groups over 10 so do at least that, 15+ better. They could breed in there too.
Thank you for your reply. I was hoping I could have so many cories in this tank

JettsPapa

I like that you're building a tank around them. One of the nice things about that is that they spend more time higher in the water column than other cory species.

Mlou

With 15 or even a bit more and if you provide a nice java moss bunch, you can start a natural colony and soon a bunch more cories than your original will appear. These guys are really cute little fish. Have fun!

Riwaz

JettsPapa said:
I like that you're building a tank around them. One of the nice things about that is that they spend more time higher in the water column than other cory species.
Thank you for the reply. I tried to make it for them as much comfortable as I could. I think that all tanks should have some places for the fish to hide.
Mlou said:
With 15 or even a bit more and if you provide a nice java moss bunch, you can start a natural colony and soon a bunch more cories than your original will appear. These guys are really cute little fish. Have fun!
Thank you for the reply. Will try to add some java moss. There was little bit on the wood but the amanos were eating of it and now there is no more. And can't find it in the tank

Mlou

Riwaz said:
Thank you for the reply. I tried to make it for them as much comfortable as I could. I think that all tanks should have some places for the fish to hide.

Thank you for the reply. Will try to add some java moss. There was little bit on the wood but the amanos were eating of it and now there is no more. And can't find it in the tank
Get a big bunch as the cories love going onto it, and graze along the stems and even lay eggs in it....my big sterbais and adolphis and even the very shy green lasers all love their java pile.

airedwin

JettsPapa said:
That is interesting. The ones I have for the longest time have just been hiding on the ground, but lately they've just been swimming in the middle with the tetras for some reason. I thought maybe there is something wrong?
airedwin said:
That is interesting. The ones I have for the longest time have just been hiding on the ground, but lately they've just been swimming in the middle with the tetras for some reason. I thought maybe there is something wrong?

1618346366243.png

JettsPapa

airedwin said:
No, nothing wrong. Mine swim all over the tank.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom