15 Gallon / 55l Stocking 15 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by rae650, Jun 13, 2018.

1. rae650

rae650Valued MemberMember

This is my first post, so hi :)

I'm currently cycling my 15 gallon tank and it's almost done!

Ideally I would like to stock some sort of centrepiece fish, a small group of dashboard or tetra and some shrimp and snails.

I love shrimp, but most of the fish that peaked my interest were savage (sparkling gourami, female betta ext.) Has anyone has succes with these fish and shrimp? How would you stock this tank?

Thanks. 1528909904516.jpg

Dashboard is meant to be *rasbora

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018
  2. Mazeus

MazeusWell Known MemberMember

Hi and Welcome!

Sparkling gourami are well known shrimp hunters. Any of the small shrimp like neocaridina will be easy targets. My sparklers are fine with snails, they leave the mystery snail and spixi snails alone.

Whether or not a betta will go for shrimp really depends on the temperament of the betta.

In a 15g, why not leave out the centrepiece fish and go for a larger school of a small nano fish. A school of chili rasbora, a mystery snail and red cherry shrimp would be a really nice tank.

3. SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuyValued MemberMember

I agree with the chilli rasbora they were the first fish to peak my interest in the hobby (still never kept them) but as of next year I will be starting my 57 litre tank over and restock with chilli rasbora and RCS or maybe blue and yellow shrimp, because they look really nice together

4. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogTooWell Known MemberMember

As far as shrimp and bettas go - larger shrimp tend to work better with bettas. Bettas will eat smaller shrimp, like cherry shrimp. But something a bit bigger, like ghost shrimp, you might have more luck with. I've never had problems with a betta eating a ghost shrimp. But i have had problems with bettas not letting ghost shrimp eat. In my 3.5 gallon tank, my male crowntail starved out his 2 ghost shrimp roommates until they died. In my 29 gallon female betta sorority, I have had some long-surviving ghost shrimp. They even bred a few times.

5. OP
    OP
    rae650

Would a pair or small group of honey gourami be okay? How vicious are they when it comes to shrimp?
    I know they're predatory too, but perhaps if the shrimp population gets big enough I wouldn't miss the odd few.
    I love the look of scarlet badis too but I'm put off because of their regulation for being difficult and picky eaters.

6. RainBetta

RainBettaWell Known MemberMember

A guppy tank would be so nice!!!
    I've never had issues with shrimp and honey gouramis. Not sure about the badis. My LFS doesn't sell them :(

7. Mazeus

The problem with any of the centre piece fish is that they will likely eat your shrimplets so it would be very hard to grow a colony. Shrimp are hard to keep with fish, that's why I have a dedicated RCS tank:)

8. OP
    OP
    rae650

I would love to have a shrimp tank at some point, but im limited by space :( I'm just to stubborn to decided between the two (a new fish and shrimp) so am determined to find some sort of compromise. Thanks for all the help :)

Endlers would be awesome I just wish we had female endlers more readily available in the UK.

9. Mazeus

Sorry, I should have been more specific, neocaridina are hard to keep with fish. Shrimp like ammanos are much tougher, but they won't breed in your tank.

What you could do is have a huge piece of moss or subwassertang. The shrimp would hide a lot, but it would keep babies safe(r).

10. WTFish?

WTFish?Well Known MemberMember

Ember tetras are great with rcs and very pretty.

11. Small TanksValued MemberMember

Small rasboras do wonderfully with Bettas.

I've kept shrimp with bettas too you want to stick with ammanos or ghost shrimp (though I've done and seen people do okay with cherry too).

You want to put the shrimp in the tank FIRST and then provide lots of hidy places (java moss is win).

Oh and something I just thought of, you could in this tank do 4 or more sparkling gourami, or a male/female pair of wild caught bettas

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice