15 gal tank of 2 green sailfin mollies and 2 wild swordtails ?

Kevinthebreeder

What do you think of a 15 gallon tank consisting of 2 green sailfin mollies and 2 wild swordtails ? Would it be okay if I also add 2 more non-sailfin mollies ?

Freshfishguy

Kevinthebreeder said:
What do you think of a 15 gallon tank consisting of 2 green sailfin mollies and 2 wild swordtails ? Would it be okay if I also add 2 more non-sailfin mollies ?
From what I know about swordtails and mollies, the males can be decently aggressive towards each other without any females to distract them. Not sure if this would work, but I’m not an expert for these fish.

StinkyLoaf

Kevinthebreeder said:
I think three of each; one male for every two females. This ratio is good for livebearers because it creates a small harem for each male and lowers tensions. A 15 gallon is easily large enough to pull this off.

wishuponafish

I'd say a 15 gallon is far too small for any of those fish. They are active swimmers that need lots of space to swim and have huge bioloads.

chromedome52

A 15 gallon tank is about half the size you need for either of those species. I like long 30 gallon tanks or bigger.

gms38

Sailfin mollies do get big. I have 2 that are close to 4 inches, huge. But the regular Mollie's don't get as big. What about some small tetras? Or a couple cory cats instead. Just a thought.

StinkyLoaf

gms38 said:
Sailfin mollies do get big. I have 2 that are close to 4 inches, huge. But the regular Mollie's don't get as big. What about some small tetras? Or a couple cory cats instead. Just a thought.
Small tetras such as cardinals and glowlights are quite good. I prefer cardinals over neons as they are hardier and get that slight bit larger in size. Corydoras should be fine when kept with tetras.

Kevinthebreeder

CrustyDusty said:
I think three of each; one male for every two females. This ratio is good for livebearers because it creates a small harem for each male and lowers tensions. A 15 gallon is easily large enough to pull this off.
Would an all male be okay ? Because the females don't look as good (Except for the non-sailfin mollies.).

StinkyLoaf

Kevinthebreeder said:
Would an all male be okay ? Because the females don't look as good (Except for the non-sailfin mollies.).
They may not be as attractive for the males but trust me it will be easier!

Latest threads

Top Bottom