15 Gal Community Tank Stocking

cgittelm1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all
I have a 15 gallon tank that was stocked with 2 dalmatian mollies. Unfortunately, one of them got stuck in the filter and passed away. Please send suggestions as to which fish would be best to add to my tank. Thanks so much.

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
15 gallon is very small for a Dalmatian molly--for any type of molly really. I'd go with a fish that stays small. A fish that wouldn't breed with your remaining molly would be platies. You could go with all males to avoid tons of fry. This is assuming that your water is on the hard, alkaline side. If you water is on the soft, acidic size, then smaller tetras would work.

cgittelm1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you, I'm planning on getting a larger tank - I recently learned this was very small for mollies (& feel terrible about it). Any suggestions on a decent tank size for beginners wanting multiple fish?

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
cgittelm1 said:
Thank you, I'm planning on getting a larger tank - I recently learned this was very small for mollies (& feel terrible about it). Any suggestions on a decent tank size for beginners wanting multiple fish?
A 29-gallon would be a good size for your molly, but I know that might be getting too big if you're hoping to stay more in the nano range. I really like 20 gallon longs as they have the length of a 29-gallon, so fish can zip around more.

cgittelm1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks so much for your your advice. I really appreciate it. Would an additional dalmatian Molly & a few small tetras be alright in a 29 gal tank?

cgittelm1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They're wonderful fish - but they do produce a lot of waste. I'd try to move them into something bigger (like endlercollector suggested).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom