15 Gal Centerpiece Fish

richieh

Reaction score
I have a 15 gallon that for the last year had a Betta as its main star until a power outage and erratic temp swing killed him. The other fish 6 Neon Tetras (2 died from the temp change) and 4 Cory (I know the tank is a little to small for them, but they are left overs from my old 30 gallon and they keep breeding, up to generation 3 or 4 of a weird Panda JuliI hybrid) are left.

I bought a beautiful new Betta to replace the one I loss since I love Bettas however it was extremely aggressive towards the Cory to the point where I had to net him and put him in a plastic container I floated in the tank with some holes in it. Anyway his bad behavior was awarded with a new 5 gallon Topfin tank I bought. Spend 50 bucks for a 5 dollar fish, the aquarium life is great isn't it.

I've had plenty of Bettas before and never had such an aggressive one, and since I don't want to risk another incident was wondering what a good peaceful and pretty replacement would be. I'm open to suggestions, the Neons never really picked at either Betta if that is a concern. Would a single dwarf gouramI be alright? Or shoud I maybe do 8 Neons and then try 5-8 fancy guppies.

OP
richieh

richieh

Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking about a Honey Gourami. Would a single one work or should I get a male and female.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Honeys are social so need a 20 gallon and up since a trio or more is recommended.

What about Sparkling gourami? A group of 5 would work beautifully. Theyre a nano fish. You could house more of them in a 15, but 3-5 would make a nice "centerpiece". Theyre a bit more delicate than other gouramI but theyre beautiful and peaceful (I have two boys in a 10 gallon nano)

A dwarf gouramI is best single and a 15 gallon is iffy for size. Unless you get a wild caught one which are usually smaller than the common sickly ones you see in the petstores... a worry is also that they are rarely not affected by iridovirus.

A platy or two (same gender) would make for a nice centerpiece in a 15 too. Just females may keep spitting out babies each month, so males may be more ideal.

OP
richieh

richieh

Reaction score
MissNoodle said:
Honeys are social so need a 20 gallon and up since a trio or more is recommended.

What about Sparkling gourami? A group of 5 would work beautifully. Theyre a nano fish. You could house more of them in a 15, but 3-5 would make a nice "centerpiece". Theyre a bit more delicate than other gouramI but theyre beautiful and peaceful (I have two boys in a 10 gallon nano)

A dwarf gouramI is best single and a 15 gallon is iffy for size. Unless you get a wild caught one which are usually smaller than the common sickly ones you see in the petstores... a worry is also that they are rarely not affected by iridovirus.

A platy or two (same gender) would make for a nice centerpiece in a 15 too. Just females may keep spitting out babies each month, so males may be more ideal.
I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on the Honey GouramI being kept solo or in a group of 2 or 3 so that confuses me. I think the 20 gallon part is right though so ill steer clear of them for that reason

I'm not a huge fan of sparkling Gouramis as everyone I've every seen at the store are quite dull IMO but will keep a look out. Also considering just going to old school and getting 5 or 6 Fancy Male Guppies to pair with the Neons.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
richieh said:
I've seen a lot of mixed opinions on the Honey GouramI being kept solo or in a group of 2 or 3 so that confuses me. I think the 20 gallon part is right though so ill steer clear of them for that reason

I'm not a huge fan of sparkling Gouramis as everyone I've every seen at the store are quite dull IMO but will keep a look out. Also considering just going to old school and getting 5 or 6 Fancy Male Guppies to pair with the Neons.
Guppies would work too if you like them. Endler guppies are another fantastic option, maybe even better than fancy guppies as theyre hardier, though smaller.

As for sparklers, theyre "plain" on first sight but in the right lighting they're gorgeous. Fish in stores are nearly always off colour.
20200115_064710.jpg
20200110_213623.jpg

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
richieh said:

A lot of the confusion comes from Thick Lipped GouramI being sold as Honeys, then being kept in tanks too small which leads to aggression. People then say "Honeys" should be kept on their own, despite this both these GouramI are social and do better in groups and that's up to us to provide them with adequate space and environments.

Good choice avoiding these GouramI due to space :D

Like MissNoodle said Dwarf GouramI are iffy in less than 20 gallons, you can certainly keep one in less but if you want to get the best out of this GouramI it needs more space. I can say this from experience keeping them in 6,15,22 and 33 gallon setups, they are much more active and vibrant in the latter two.

OP
richieh

richieh

Reaction score
Oh wow you're right. Ill def keep an eye out. Although the Endler looks really nice. Youve give me some options so thank you.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
There are fish like scarlet badis that could work as well, but theyre slightly difficult as I'm sure they need live food only. And maybe there are some other necessary care for them too, but theyre an option to look into as well.

New Threads