15 g blackwater stocking

Basilisk

Reaction score
I'm commited to making my 15g a south american blackwater aquarium and I was wondering if my planned stock is too much.

It would be something like:
6 serpae tetras
6 Emperor tetras
6 panda/pygmy cories

Im going to overfilter the tank but I'm not sure if the tank would be too small. Is it too much or is it just okay?

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This would be pretty crowded. Serpaes and Emperors need far more space. Would only keep them in a 29g or bigger and only one of the species.

How about 6-8 Ember Tetras and 6-10 pygmy cories.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
MacZ said:
This would be pretty crowded. Serpaes and Emperors need far more space. Would only keep them in a 29g or bigger and only one of the species.

I agree, a smaller tetra would work better.

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MacZ said:

I have a school of 10 serpae tetras and they grow fast I bought these guys about 3 months ago at the size of a dime maybe a little bigger and now I they are quarter sized some even half dollar size so 15g may be a bit tight for them so adding 10-15 other fish idk about

OP
Basilisk

Basilisk

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Its too bad that I cant get serpaes since they're very pretty and very common where I live. Would black neons be alright?

Tallen78

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Basilisk said:
Thanks for the replies. Its too bad that I cant get serpaes since they're very pretty and very common where I live. Would black neons be alright?
I have them also they get about 2 inches

Tallen78 said:
I have them also they get about 2 inches
Here’s some pics

Attachments

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Two schools and some bottom dwellers could for sure work in a 15g if you have a big filter, just consider smaller species.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kanzekatores said:
Two schools and some bottom dwellers could for sure work in a 15g if you have a big filter, just consider smaller species.
With emphasis on smaller species. But a big filter takes space and can produce a lot of current in a small tank.
A good max stocking:

6 Embers
6 of a small Nannostomus species (would require a good lid, because jumpers)
6 Corydoras pygmaeus (I'd rather do C. habrosus, because they stay more at the bottom.)

That way all levels are used and the bioload should work out, too. But also means no further additions.

OP
Basilisk

Basilisk

Reaction score
I
MacZ said:
With emphasis on smaller species. But a big filter takes space and can produce a lot of current in a small tank.
A good max stocking:

6 Embers
6 of a small Nannostomus species (would require a good lid, because jumpers)
6 Corydoras pygmaeus (I'd rather do C. habrosus, because they stay more at the bottom.)

That way all levels are used and the bioload should work out, too. But also means no further additions.
Its a canister filter, so it won't take that much space.

OP
Basilisk

Basilisk

Reaction score
Would a school of 6 black neons do? I'm considering ditching 2 schools and going for one school instead.

VSA

Reaction score
Not sure how accurate you are going with your black water but I was under the impression that black neons are from clear water.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
VSA said:
Not sure how accurate you are going with your black water but I was under the impression that black neons are from clear water.
Almost nobody keeps actual black water anyway.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom