15,5g And 150g Pond Stocking

1. Totally Not Kermit

Totally Not Kermit Well Known Member Member

I have a 15 g with 2 guppies,an apple snail and a female betta. Set at 75, heavily planted. And a 5 with a female betta not heated, regional temp is high 60s, low 80s. And am about to have an indoor 250 g iguana pond, not heated, inhabitants are going to be a pleco, 3 mollies and a couple gold fish. So my first question is what shrimp could I get that would reproduce enough that I would have about six in the five gallon at a time and about 12 in the 15 at a time and if I see any more I will take them out and put them in the pond? And other than the shrimp what else could I put in the 15 gallon, 3 more guppies(only sold in trios), more snail(if so how many), or other?

2. RainBetta

RainBetta Well Known Member Member

For you pond, mollies and goldfish aren't compatible. Mollies are tropical fish, but cold fish aren't. Don't put mollies in there.

For your shrimp question, Amanos and ghost shrimp are good for breeding. For you 15G, you can get 3 more guppies, and maybe 1-2 more snails.

3. OP
    OP
    Totally Not Kermit

How many shimp?

And ghosts? I hear they were hard to breed.

Is this post incorrect? It says they can live up to eighties.Goldfish Care - Fancy Goldfish and this one says mollies can live in low seventies, which is the average here is. I’m not trying to argue with you.

Molly Fish - Mollies

4. RainBetta

You can have 2-3 in the 5G and 8 MAXIMUM in the 15G. Yeah, Amanos are much easier to breed.

Yes! That post is very wrong! Goldfish should not be in temperatures much higher that 75! Mollies can't be in temperatures lower than 75! I really wouldn't. Fish can survive in other temperatures but not thrive or live healthy lives. The ideal human temperatures range is from 59-77 degrees, but you can still live in other temperatures. Would you be very happy living in 10 degree weather in a tank top?

You're so lucky! I really wish I had such a big tank!!!!!!

5. OP
    OP
    Totally Not Kermit

So since you say no to themollies in the indoor pond, does that mean I can’t get the other three guppies?

6. RainBetta

Not at all! You have the space for some more guppies

7. OP
    OP
    Totally Not Kermit

But what which won’t I have room for. The snail or shrimp?

8. RainBetta

You have room for all 3

9. OP
    OP
    Totally Not Kermit

Cool, I looked up amino breeding, and they said they need salt, is that true, if so what other shrimp would breed like crazy at these requirements?

I looked up easiest shrimp to breed everyone says rcs, would you recommend these, if not why?

10. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Of course rcs!

11. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

@RainBetta if you're easily breeding amano you gotta start a thread on how you do it. I've got a couple of berried females so I know they're happy in my fw tank. Wouldn't be hard to set up my 10 for breeding them, but it seems so hit or miss.

OP, for breeding amanos, I know it's a bit of an involved process, you have to give the eggs a brackish environment and then it gradually gets more salty, then slowly back to fresh once they are in the shrimp stage. Cherry shrimp are pretty easy as long as there's hiding spots for the eggs. They are special in that there's no other stage, when they hatch they are tiny versions of the adults.

12. OP
    OP
    Totally Not Kermit

I know they will do great in my 15 g, but since my 5 and 150? They have no heater and yesterday I took the temperature were they are going to be, it was 76.

What other shrimp are as easy as rcs?

13. W

Easy to breed? Maybe ghost, but some of them get aggressive and they're easily confused with whisker shrimp which get big and mean.

14. OP
    OP
    Totally Not Kermit

On my iguana mini pool thread magie the cat said they are all most impossible to breed is that true?

15. W

You'll find anything other than neocardina very difficult to breed. I honestly haven't looked into it for ghost shrimp, I just assumed they'd be easy since they're used as feeders.

16. OP
    OP
    Totally Not Kermit

Can I have neocardina and rcs in the same tank?

Do any of y’all know if fish will eat iguana skin?

Not trying to be creepy, the 150is going to be in my iguanas up graded area, they might swim in it and shed

17. W

They might eat the fish. It's difficult to keep most reptiles and lizards with fish, and not just the predatory issues. Just look up all the people that cant get a tank cycled only to find out ot was a reptile tank and keeps leaching nitrogen compounds.

Sorry, when I said neocardina I was meaning specifically cherry shrimp, or any of the other color strains. Just dont mix and match. The breeding will make them brown when one color breeds with another.

18. OP
    OP
    Totally Not Kermit

Igu
    nas are vgitarians.

And I am not planning on moving the iguanas in until after the fish are in.

My consent is, the gold fish might drag the iguanas underwater, is it possible?

19. W

How small are these iguanas that goldfish could drag them down?

20. Smalltownfishfriend

Smalltownfishfriend Well Known Member Member

He has another thread that he said they are 2.5 feet...