15 - 20 Gallon Hex Tank Confirmation

1. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Hey guys,

So my girlfriend has finally plunged and decided to get a tank :)

I've forced her to the research and am happy to help her out to learn what i have.

The stocking idea i help her come up with is:

1 German Ram
    6 Panda Cories
    3-5 Guppies

She really liked this stock and i think it'l work. There might still be space for more, but that depends on the tank that i can find for her. I will be looking for something less tall and something more wide and square-ish.

As for filtration, i will be making a canister for it, probably rated at about 150 - 200 gph.

Heating, 100W

It will also be lightly planted

Now the first issue i've come across is this: The water Source

Parameters are:

NH3: 4ppm
    NO2: 2ppm
    NO3: 0

pH: 8.6 (after 48 hours to settle)
    kH: 15 dKH

The ammonia is so high, i have never seen it before like that, but prime can sort that out, and i can bump the filtration volume up to handle that. The pH is my concern. I know most will say the fish will adapt, and yes i agree, but the issue here is that is too much for me. I hate the heat, yes i can handle it, but i am happier in colder weather. That is my policy.

I intend to use RO water from my place, that i will bottle and bring to hers when needed. I was thinking a 50/50 mix... what are everyone's thoughts here? Otherwise, is it viable for me to use some of my beautiful well water, bottled in the same manner?

Add to that your idea's on the stock :) Being an arty girl, she is looking for something really colourful and stand-out, as well as something "cute" which as a guy i find difficult to point out :):)

Thank you!

2. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Maybe instead of guppies you could find endlers there very nice looking fish.But thats up to you.

3. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

i do like endlers :) It was an option but guppies was decided instead :)

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A 15-20 hex doesn't provide enough room for a school of bottom dwellers, IMO. I know pandas are small, but I'd really go nano with pygmy corys, if I were to do it.

5. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

That was one thing to consider. It really does depend on what size i can find. I want to find something with a large floor space, but yes of course if that isn't possible, pygmy's and dwarfs are then the option :)