14g tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by snowcolt17, Dec 22, 2012.

1. snowcolt17New MemberMember

Hi, my friends gave me a 14g tank. They couldnt keep it clean?

ive got a few fish in it.
    -2 platys? (i think one is pregnant)
    -1 albino red tale shark
    -1 snake
    -1 small alga eater
    -1 frog
    -3 feeder guppies(dont ask lol)

i want a silver finned shark, but it requires more room :/. i only have a live bamboo in it.

any suggestions on something to put in it?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

First, the shark has absolutely GOT to go.
    What do you mean by a 'snake'?
    What kind of algae eater is it?

3. OP
    OP
    s

snowcolt17New MemberMember

but i like the shark :/. lol
    i meant snail. my bad.

um not sure. i think its a baby pletco?

4. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

The shark will get huge and need at least 29g

I would nix the frog as well and if you already have the pleco could you get a picture? A common pleco needs altleast 100g tank when it is full grown... really I think that tank is to small for any kind of pleco... I would say get shrimp, red cherry for example, also what kind of snail? You could fit 2-3 mystery snails in there and they lay eggs above the water line (so watch for escape artists)and the eggs are easily removed...

5. OP
    OP
    s

yea. sorry for the pics. dangit :/ i like the shark. and he gets along with the other fishies

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  6. monkeypie102

XD your algae eater is an oto!!! You should get 2-3 more as they tend to school, at least mine do! They are perfect for a 14g as long as they get plenty of algae to eat... most can die within 6-12 hours if they have no algae to feed on. At least that's what i have read...

Well you could always upgrade to a 29g and keep him... I am just saying a 14 will eventually be to small for him and could stunt his growth...

7. OP
    OP
    s

ah. i dont know about fish.. lol the tank was gave me so i said sure why not. lol
    thanks for clarifying that it was not a pletco. i will get more.

when the shark starts growing or shows any problems (aggression, not eating, etc) i will get rid of him.

the snail i do believe is a mystery snail. but... he doesnt look healthy. he is always on his back and i flip him over and he does fine for a day or some. and it looks like his shell has a crack :/.

any other fish anyone would suggest if i do get rid of the shark soon

8. monkeypie102

You're going to hate me but can you get a picture of that snail? I am a bit of a snail freak on this site ;) I own 8 mystery snails, 10 Japanese trapdoor snails, Malaysian trumpet snails (or MTS)! Ramshorns, pond snails, and assassin snails... I now just about all that is needed to know xD (I wish)... the shell maybe semi repairable... what do you feed him/her?

Do you Ave an API master liquid test kit? If so you will need to get one, amazon is where I got mine a while back pretty cheap... never buy the strips as they are not reliable... be prepared for a ton of questions from me and others xD it has only begun! Oh and welcome to fishlore xD

9. monkeypie102

I am heading to bed right now... I will be back on in like 5 hours (don't sleep well and i am a fishlore addict) so if no one else has helped you much more I will be glad too :)

10. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

i would get rid of the shark now. they can become very aggressive very fast, that is a easy way to loose a fish. especially if its in that small of a tank, i would recommend nothing less then a 48in tank for most sharks.

if you are very new to fish keeping learn about the nitrogen cycle its the most important thing when keeping fish.

here is a list you should try to buy, they will save you a lot of trouble.
    a liquid test kit, API master freshwater is the most used.
    water conditioner, get some seachem prime it is by far the best choice.
    buckets and a gravel vacuum, all are about the same unless you get a python water changer, it hooks to a sink.

your otto looks pretty fat so that is a good sing. but dont be surprised it the ones you bring home die, they seem to be very sensitive but i would deff give them a shot.

i would suggest you do 1 50% water change and gravel vac a week. this can vary but it is what i do... make sure you unplug your heater, match the water temp, add water conditioner. do you know how to vac the gravel? im sure you might know some of this but its late and im board lol.

dont ever trust pet store employees. some are great and some are very bad its best to come some place like here and get lots of opinions first. usually shopping online is much cheaper, dr fosters and smith is a very good site to check out.

make sure when you go to the fish store you look at the tanks. if there are lots of dead fish and the tanks look bad i would not buy there. i dont know if you access to lots of options but ordering online can be a better choice sometimes even if shipping is a lil expensive.

hope this helps and not puts you to sleep lol.

11. OP
    OP
    s

thanks for the advice and help. ill get a kit soon.
    i will post pics of the snail also.

i joined alittle while ago for advice for cleaning. it was a 75g bow front. i wish i would have kept it. but i traded it for 2 pythons

this is interesting. i will get the stuff as soon as i can. im a broke kid. and have a few animals besides the fish. lol.
    3 ball pythons.
    3 puppies. 2 of them huskies.

so not much many towards anything else.

but i will look into it when i do get a chance. i want to do a planted tank eventually.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  12. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, absolutely don't wait on the shark, or you could wake up one morning to all your other fish dead. At the very least, keeping him in that size tank will stunt him horribly.

Be careful, when you get more otos, that they are actually otos. Otocinclus look a lot like Chinese algae eaters, which you absolutely don't want.

I agree, learn about the nitrogen cycle right away and get the kit ASAP.

13. bankruptjojo

I have a all white huskey. Great dogs but there hair can leave a mess.

14. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I have a golden retriever, two fish tanks, and I care for my hubby's cat.

15. OP
    OP
    s

i like the best out of all my animals. i love animals. i want to work at a pet store.. but they have no interest because of my tattoos and such.. i love all my animals.

the money my mom is giving me for christmas is going towards the snakes, going to build some display enclosures.

16. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Uh...we could be talking about the difference between live fish and dead fish. Without the kit, you will not know if deadly ammonia or nitrite are building up. Nitrate is harmful as well. It's your choice but know you're leaving the fish's lives up to chance.

17. bankruptjojo

Read up on the nitrogen cycle. Basically there are bacteria that keep the fish safe and healthy. Most of this stuff lives in the filter. So if u clean the filter make sure you clean it in old tank water after a water change. Chlorine in tap water will kill the good bacteria you need.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice