140 Ml Planted Tank!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Lorekeeper, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Lorekeeper

Lorekeeper Well Known Member Member

As a bored 15 year old, there are a lot of bad things I could be doing. Robbing liquor stores, stealing cash from my parents, smoking weed, pretending to smoke weed to be cool, harassing people with different beliefs than me, getting piercings in places that should never be pierced... you get the idea.

But, what do I do when I get bored? I set up a 140ml tank!

Here's the tank next to a 500ml bottle of stability:  

Here's the tank with a 2 gallon reef to scale:  

The tank will be light by ambient room light, with some window light every now and then.

It's home to a single juvenile Malaysian Trumpet Snail, a small clump of Java Moss, and two anacharis stems.

It's a sealed environment, so the snail will take up the O2 and output CO2, while the plants do the opposite. In theory, this should work well. I'm not sure how it'll do with just room lighting though - if it doesn't work well, I give this little tank less than a week before the snail dies.

I used WC water from my betta tank, and then dosed about 2ml of Flourish (it's how much that managed to make it into the syringe... shouldn't hurt anything).

Anyway, just thought I'd share :)

2. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Keep staying out of trouble

3. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

No promises ;)

4. AngelTheGypsy

Just don't get arrested!

5. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

Lol, I keep busy enough to not do too many stupid things...

That, and my parents already said that if I get arrested, I'm on my own.

In other words... I better want to do the stupid thing REALLY badly for it to be worth it!

6. AngelTheGypsy

Yeah, it's never worth it. But I'm pretty sure you're too smart to do something too stupid.

7. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, never do those crazy things. It gives you no good, instead it gives you a bad life. So it's best to stay out of it.

8. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

Yeah, I don't get into too much trouble.

9. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

If you enjoy doing mini aquascapes/planted jars like that, Hobby Lobby has some lovely glass jars that are great for that purpose. I've done quite a few mini aquascapes in jars with scuds and pond snails...some are still going strong! It's fun!

10. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

Thanks!

My mom used to can a lot of our fruits/veggies that we grow, so we have 20-30 jars around the house that range from an ounce to a full gallon. I'm stocked on jars!

I actually had a ghost shrimp in a 0.25 gallon jar with a bunch of plant trimmings that lived for a year and a half or so. I feel kinda bad about the small space, but then again, a year and a half for a ghost shrimp isn't too bad.

11. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

Noticed some green water algae today from the sunlight + huge dose of Flourish.

The moss and the anacharis have grown though, and the snail seems to be doing fine.

One thing I'd eventually love to do is to set up a jar like this one (a few ounces) with some Live Rock and a soft coral, probably Xenia. That'd require a DIY LED fixture (I can make one, I'd probably integrate it into the jar's lid with some waterproof optics), and water flow. For water flow I could either A) Use an air pump B) Make a food container fuge, but that's cheating a bit or C) try to come up with a way to have a very small powerhead out of the tank, and having two tubes for input and output.

12. Herkimur

Herkimur Well Known Member Member

LOL !!!
    That first paragraph alone makes you COOL.

13. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Not until you get punished or arrested

14. OP
    OP
    Lorekeeper

So, this tank has gone 3 weeks sealed. Snail is still alive, and the tank is free of algae despite being in the sunlight. On a sunny day, you can see the java moss actually pearling. I'm assuming it's due to the decent light/high nutrient/low O2 system it's setup in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice