14 gallon tank

Mikel88

Active Member
Member
Messages
71
Reaction score
19
Experience
Just started
So I ended up buying the aqueon 14g rimless tank. It looks quite good. I bought a 50 watt heater and a ac20. Plan on having a betta and a nerite snail. Maybe a school of nano fish. Any ideas of what to add? Also, should I have gotten a bigger heater and the ac30? Just want to make sure I have enough filtration. Thanks
 

AquEric

Active Member
Member
Messages
242
Reaction score
174
50w is fine for 14g a lot of different fish can live with a Betta I've had a lot of luck with plates and a Betta it depends on how much you want to spend
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
M

Mikel88

Active Member
Member
Messages
71
Reaction score
19
Experience
Just started
AquEric said:
50w is fine for 14g a lot of different fish can live with a Betta I've had a lot of luck with plates and a Betta it depends on how much you want to spend
I can spend whatever
 

Zach72202

Active Member
Member
Messages
266
Reaction score
133
Location
Michigan
Experience
1 year
WIth a betta you want to keep it not super small, but still active. Nothing too flashy as it may make the betta 'jealous' and want to kill it. Think of like something zebra danio size, but can be a bit less active than zebra danios because those guys are like super speed mode 24/7, so say like 6 black neon tetras? Or could also do like some small species cories, like 6-8 pygmy cories, or 6-8 hasbrosus cories if you wanted a bottom dweller.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
M

Mikel88

Active Member
Member
Messages
71
Reaction score
19
Experience
Just started
Zach72202 said:
WIth a betta you want to keep it not super small, but still active. Nothing too flashy as it may make the betta 'jealous' and want to kill it. Think of like something zebra danio size, but can be a bit less active than zebra danios because those guys are like super speed mode 24/7, so say like 6 black neon tetras? Or could also do like some small species cories, like 6-8 pygmy cories, or 6-8 hasbrosus cories if you wanted a bottom dweller.
Yes I would like some bottom dwellers, pygmy cories would be cool. Hard to find around here unless I order online. Been trying to get a mustard gas betta but also hard to get right now
 

Zach72202

Active Member
Member
Messages
266
Reaction score
133
Location
Michigan
Experience
1 year
There is a guy selling them on aquabid currently, Hasbrosus and Pygmaeus, same price for both, but shipping is 55 dollars. Ya said you can spend anything haha, so its up to you. Also Aquabid.com has such a plethora of bettas if you want to order, or ebay is an option too. Good Luck in your search!
 

BluMan1914

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,434
Reaction score
1,313
Location
Marietta, GA
Experience
More than 10 years
One quick suggestion. I believe that you should have a 100w heater for your tank.
I had a 50w for a 5 gallon, and really should have had something bigger.
 

Zach72202

Active Member
Member
Messages
266
Reaction score
133
Location
Michigan
Experience
1 year
Well, a heater is up for debate. If it is the only tank in like the living room I would recommend at least a 75 watt and a lid on the tank. I know the 100 can be very large. A lid actually does wonders for holding heat. The situation changes if you keep the tank in say a fish room. I know I have 6 tanks going in a bedroom and I have a 75 watt heater in my 40 breeder and It never has any problems keeping it warm.
 

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,432
Reaction score
677
Location
Baltimore
Zach72202 said:
Well, a hearer is up for debate. If it is the only tank in like the living room I would recommend at least a 75 watt and a lid on the tank. I know the 100 can be very large. A lid actually does wonders for holding heat. The situation changes if you keep the tank in say a fish room. I know I have 6 tanks going in a bedroom and I have a 75 watt heater in my 40 breeder and It never has any problems keeping it warm.
A LID IS HUGE RE HEATERS. I had no lid on a 40 gallon and had to run TWO 300 watt heaters and got a lid and now one is fine.
 

Pfrozen

Well Known
Member
Messages
751
Reaction score
459
KribensisLover1 said:
A LID IS HUGE RE HEATERS. I had no lid on a 40 gallon and had to run TWO 300 watt heaters and got a lid and now one is fine.
That's crazy!! I was considering a screen lid but uh, maybe not :D
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
M

Mikel88

Active Member
Member
Messages
71
Reaction score
19
Experience
Just started
It has a lid. Temperature is staying at 78 but it seems to stay on for a while. Its in my living room with my 37 gallon tank. I keep my AC for my house at 70
 

Zach72202

Active Member
Member
Messages
266
Reaction score
133
Location
Michigan
Experience
1 year
You should be fine with a 50 Watt then. The thing with heaters is that they generally do not go bad by staying on for a long time, but what goes bad is the thermostat within the heater which kicks it on and off.
Say a 300 watt heater in a 15 gallon goes on and off 12 times a day, but only stays on for 15 minutes each time, the switch will wear out much faster than a 50 watt which goes on and off 4 times a day but stays on for 45 minutes each time.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
186
Guests online
2,977
Total visitors
3,163

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom