14 gallon stocking ideas

1. PuffTheMagicDragon Initiate Member

So i have a 14 gallon tall tank that has housed a opaline gourami for the last 5 years but the other day my mom called to inform me that it had finally died. I just left the tank at her house when i moved out and would do monthly water changes when i would go over to visit but now that its empty im thinking about bringing it to my new place and setting it up. I am planning on doing a planted tank and i was wondering if i could house 2 African dwarf frogs, 3 female guppys, 2 mystery snails, 1 male betta and some cherry shrimp together. Is that too much or would the betta cause problems. And any other stocking ideas would be welcomed. I know 14 gallons isnt alot but i want something where there are diffrent species doing diffrent things. Thanks in advance

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Hopefully you will receive some stocking tips before long.

I would highly recommend that Frogs have a tank, heated and filtered, of their own. Too, I would suggest that the Betta also have a heated, filtered tank of its own. These critters and fish do not make good community inhabitants. Do not combine the two into one tank.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/144-care-sheet-african-dwarf-frogs.html

https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm

I hope you enjoy the forum!

Ken :)

3. PuffTheMagicDragon Initiate Member

So the betta and frogs are a bad idea. Ive read from many places that if its a mellow betta they should be fine. It even mentions it in the link you provided. Can anyone give some stocking ideas for a 14 gallon freshwater. I would like a few fish and some type of inverte

4. Fishboy123 Member Member

The betta IMO should not be kept with any other species and one betta should just be kept alone. I think u might be able to get away with the other stocking tbh. But as the other people said the frogs would be much more appreciated in a species only tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Wumbology Initiate Member

Subtract the african dwarf frog and male betta. Add in a dwarf gourami. I have one in my 14 gallon, it is beautiful.