14 gallon stocking ideas

1. PuffTheMagicDragon

PuffTheMagicDragon Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So i have a 14 gallon tall tank that has housed a opaline gourami for the last 5 years but the other day my mom called to inform me that it had finally died. I just left the tank at her house when i moved out and would do monthly water changes when i would go over to visit but now that its empty im thinking about bringing it to my new place and setting it up. I am planning on doing a planted tank and i was wondering if i could house 2 African dwarf frogs, 3 female guppys, 2 mystery snails, 1 male betta and some cherry shrimp together. Is that too much or would the betta cause problems. And any other stocking ideas would be welcomed. I know 14 gallons isnt alot but i want something where there are diffrent species doing diffrent things. Thanks in advance

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +271
    Hello and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Hopefully you will receive some stocking tips before long.

I would highly recommend that Frogs have a tank, heated and filtered, of their own. Too, I would suggest that the Betta also have a heated, filtered tank of its own. These critters and fish do not make good community inhabitants. Do not combine the two into one tank.

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/144-care-sheet-african-dwarf-frogs.html

https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/betta-fish-care-guide.htm

I hope you enjoy the forum!

Ken :)

3. OP
    OP
    PuffTheMagicDragon

PuffTheMagicDragon Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So the betta and frogs are a bad idea. Ive read from many places that if its a mellow betta they should be fine. It even mentions it in the link you provided. Can anyone give some stocking ideas for a 14 gallon freshwater. I would like a few fish and some type of inverte

4. Fishboy123

Fishboy123 Member Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The betta IMO should not be kept with any other species and one betta should just be kept alone. I think u might be able to get away with the other stocking tbh. But as the other people said the frogs would be much more appreciated in a species only tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Wumbology

Wumbology Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Subtract the african dwarf frog and male betta. Add in a dwarf gourami. I have one in my 14 gallon, it is beautiful.