14 Gallon Nano Cube Build (Blog? Kinda?)

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Here's the plan:
Tank specifics:
Aqueon rimless cube, 14 gallons
Aqueon heater for 20 gallons - Tank will be at 78 degrees
Aqueon quietflow internal filter for ten gallons (Should do somewhere between 20gph (aqadvisor says) or 60gph (what aqueon claims). one for twenty gallons will take up too much room, I think)
Light is undecided

Planned Stock:
1 female wild Betta splendens
9-12 ChilI Rasbora
6-8 Pygmy Corys
1582003193977.png

1582003215978.png

Planned Plants:
Mystery "aquatic" grass (Or so it claims)
---I’ll do dwarf hairgrass if it fails, I only paid like 50¢ for the seeds, so if it doesn’t work it’s not a huge loss, I’m aware most stuff like this is a scam, just wanted to try it
Tall hairgrass
Jungle val

Hardscape and stuff:
Soil Under layer
White Sand top layer
1 Red and Green "Freak" rock

Setup video (Part 1):

Setup video (Part 2):

Next on the To Do list: Wait for "aquatic" “grass” to grow true leaves to identify, and slowly add sand

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Amazoniantanklvr said:
Watching! Is anything set up yet?
Yeah! The tank’s all cleaned up and in its place (for now).
Soil is in, “aquatic” grass seeds are placed, and it’s been wetted. Directions said to place them on the soil, and keep them moist and they should germinate in 5-7 days, at which point I’m going to cover them with the white sand (they should find their way through thanks to gravitropism - technically I could cover them now, but it’d be harder to keep them moist, and harder to tell if they’ve germinated). After they’ve germinated I’m supposed to be able to start filling the tank. So nothing too exciting yet

(I use this soil in my other tanks and it’s been great)

45C25D0F-534D-4A0D-83D0-36753358F5D1.jpeg

39C4511E-3349-4775-B9EA-066453518568.jpeg

20AEB52C-DA68-4C7A-B2F4-BCBE438FE2DD.jpeg

alx

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Good luck!

Rimless cubes are great looking. I want to invest in one for my next tank build.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
vicvega said:
Good luck!

Rimless cubes are great looking. I want to invest in one for my next tank build.
Ikr, I saw them at my local petco and was just like “I NEED ONE” and I told my mom and she was like “Nooooo” and then, well...

Amazoniantanklvr said:
Where did you get the tank? Does it have a lid?
Petco! I keep an eye on their sales - I had originally planned on getting the 6 gallon, but then this one had like 33% off, and I got like an extra 10% off cause I picked it up in person rather than having it delivered or some nonsense (I ordered it online - always double check what you’re buying in store to see if it has a sale price online, they have to price match their own website - or just buy it online then pick up in store. So much cheaper usually). It comes with a foam pad that sits under it so the glass isn’t damaged, and it comes with a lid - 3/4 glass, 1/4 plastic that can be cut to accommodate filters, wires, etc

image.jpg

(excuse the mess)

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Amazoniantanklvr said:
I want one to make onto a FOWLR or reef tank now!!
Either of those would look so cool in a cube!

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No all I have to do is to convince my parents.......... :rolleyes: <sigh>

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Amazoniantanklvr said:
No all I have to do is to convince my parents.......... :rolleyes: <sigh>
Just do what I did... walk in the door and say “Hey mom - I definitely didn’t buy another tank” :hilarious:

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh yeah - how does the stocking sound to people? That’s the biggest question I have

1 female wild Betta splendens (Have)
9-10 ChilI Rasbora (don’t have)
6-8 Pygmy Corys (don’t have)

1582003193977-png.png

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It sound fine. Aqadvisor only uses 70% of ur filtration capacity so at 101 u should be fine. Id do 12 chilis tho.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Amazoniantanklvr said:
It sound fine. Aqadvisor only uses 70% of ur filtration capacity so at 101 u should be fine. Id do 12 chilis tho.
Alrighty - I’ll change the range to 9-12 - depending on where I buy from sometimes the options are limited. Out of curiousity though, why up it to 12?

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are so tiny so they'd fit. I always say to go for the largest school that you can.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Amazoniantanklvr said:
They are so tiny so they'd fit. I always say to go for the largest school that you can.
Fair enough lol I’m definitely okay with getting more fish :hilarious: I just picked 10 as my max (preciously) because of aqadvisor. I’m actually super excited to have a larger school of something

EmiliyaCossack

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Totally following this thread because I want to do a cube tank so badly! It's on my list to do, after I finish up my 55 and cheap 5 gallon tall shrimp tank. can't wait to see how the seeds germinate! Are you going to be doing CO2 injection or is this a low-tech tank? Are you going to use root tabs or liquid fertilizer? I'm just curious because I really want to do a nano tank and do carpeting without Root tabs and just liquid fertilizer and no CO2. So I will watch and learn from you!

Amazoniantanklvr

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
[You don't have to answer] op. Do you mind me asking how much you paied for the tank? There isn't a ptice on the petco website.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
EmiliyaCossack said:
Totally following this thread because I want to do a cube tank so badly! It's on my list to do, after I finish up my 55 and cheap 5 gallon tall shrimp tank. can't wait to see how the seeds germinate! Are you going to be doing CO2 injection or is this a low-tech tank? Are you going to use root tabs or liquid fertilizer? I'm just curious because I really want to do a nano tank and do carpeting without Root tabs and just liquid fertilizer and no CO2. So I will watch and learn from you!
You should totally do a cube too someday, I’d love to see what you’d do. I wasn’t planning to do CO2, but might look into some kind of fertilizer, depending on how the plants do. The ecocomplete(?) dirt I’m using has been excellent so far in other tanks. Being a poor college student, low tech is always preferred lol (hence why I thought I’d risk the 50¢ on the seeds :hilarious: )

Morpheus1967 said:
I personally would go with the larger filter.
There wasn’t an option on filters?

Amazoniantanklvr said:
[You don't have to answer] op. Do you mind me asking how much you paied for the tank? There isn't a ptice on the petco website.
I bought it on sale, so it came out to be $53.59. It’s strange you’re not seeing a price - and I actually can’t get it to show up now either. If I recall correctly, I think it’s $79...

just somehow got to this page through the aqueon site:
A0C9CE55-BD84-40CB-BAD9-459519DFE7BE.jpeg

Morpheus1967

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ah. In your original post, you said the one for 20 gallons would take up too much room. I assumed there was a choice.

New Threads