14 Gallon Moss/Liverwort Minimalist Tank

BoyNature

HI everyone.

I already have a heavily planted 10 gallon so I thought I'd make my 14 gallon tank into a moss/liverwort only tank. All my mosses and liverworts were collected from a local stream. I thought I'd like some sort of minimalist-looking tank but I'm not sure about how it might turn out in the long run! The tank is now 2 weeks old. These are the specs:

Plants: Liverwort (collected from a local stream so I don't know its name), Java moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri), Christmas moss (Vesicularia montagnei), Singapore moss (Vesicularia dubyana) & Creeping moss (Vesicularia sp).

Fish: 6 Zebra Danios & 6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows.

Ferts/Co2: Liquid Co2 & JBL Ferropol weekly plant fertilizer.

Lighting: 40 LED, 3 Watts

Filtration: 110 GPH

Question 1: Would this even work?! Lol... or am I setting up an algae breeding tank?

Question 2: Is this space too small for the Zebra Danios?

I'm also concerned about there being a lack of "break" in the fish's field of view. I've read that a "break" in their field of vision helps them feel safe. At the moment, they seem to be doing fine and always swim up to me when I approach the tank, and they don't seem stressed at all (I'm always on the look-out for something that might be wrong). In fact, they're so comfortable with me being there that they nibble on my arm as I work in the tank! But if it is necessary for me to provide this "break", how can I rectify this while still maintaining the "rocky, mossy, minimalist" look? Any suggestions? Thanks again!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 1,145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 834

Axelrodi202

How long is the tank?

Axelrodi202

2 foot tank should be fine for zebra danios. You could break line of sight by having some stem plants growing out of the left back corner, though if you look up iwagumI scapes the whole thing's essentially flat and schooling fish are often kept in those.

To prevent algae make sure to get clean moss without algae. Also if the tank is just mosses the lighting doesn't need to be particularly strong.

BoyNature

2 foot tank should be fine for zebra danios. You could break line of sight by having some stem plants growing out of the left back corner, though if you look up iwagumI scapes the whole thing's essentially flat and schooling fish are often kept in those.

To prevent algae make sure to get clean moss without algae. Also if the tank is just mosses the lighting doesn't need to be particularly strong.

Thanks for the tips Axel and also for the info on IwagumI - they're gorgeous and they've given me some ideas for my tank!!

G.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom