14 gallon biocube?

1. t-ace Member Member

I can get a 14 gallon oceanic biocube on Craigslist for pretty cheap. Does anyone have any opinions on this setup? I still have a lot of research to do before actually starting up. I am just wondering if this tank would be a good start for a nano reef.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello TAce. Hope you're doing well. Hopefully some of the salt members will be able to help you out today. Once you're up and running I hope you can share some photos!
    Ken

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

IMO the all in one setups like the Biocube are a pretty easy way to get started in SW. However, with the stock lighting you are going to be limited to easy soft corals and some easy LPS corals. Look into corals like zoanthids, mushrooms, kenya tree, etc for softies, and euphyllia species for LPS. You may be able to keep acanthastrea as well. There are lots of corals you'd be able to keep in a Biocube, that's just what came up off the top of my head. :)

4. jarzy_be Initiate Member

I have a 14 gallon biocube, and I am not fond of it. Fish get stuck in the filtering chamber often. You can jimmy it easily to fix it, but its a major annoyance and design flaw. Also, it is loud if the water level isnt quite right, and the back of the cube is difficult to clean, because the magnet cleaners won't attach.

The bottom line is that it all depends on what the price is! The tank has expensive lights that make for a cool reef tank...I just would not pay anything close to retail. If you can get another complete 15 gallon system for the same price or cheaper, go for that.

5. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

That never happened to me with the filter system... I'm not sure I'd consider it a design flaw. All of the all in one tanks have basically the same design for the filtration chambers. For the back, you can use a scraper rather than a magnet cleaner.

For a reef setup, the lighting is just ok. You can certainly have a pretty tank with the stock lighting, but it is going to greatly limit coral selection.

Welcome to FL! :)