14 GAL recommendations pleaasse?

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

So about a year ago I got a call from my friend, she was hysterical. Her son had just had his 5th birthday & his Great Aunt had bought him 2 comet Goldfish in a 1 gallon container. They were gulping violently for air in their container (obvious ammonia poison and who knows what else!) Felt for her and the fish. Took her over my 14gal. Now we don't have to experts to know that a 14 gallon would never work for 2 comets let alone 4! ( shortly after that she got 2 more!) So now its been a YEAR, long time right? Well she's finally going to get rid of the comets ( they were suppose to go in a pond a LONG time ago) Took some work trying to get Wes (6 yrs old now) to give up them fish. Well now they are going to a better home & they'd like to be more responsible when it comes to keeping fish. They asked me what they could do with the tank.
    - Colony of Shrimp
    - School of White Clouds (other small school)
    - Betta (but i told her no)
    -Gourami (dwarf of course)
    -Maybe frogs

Still need to get a new filter for it, was thinking at least 20 gallon filter to help with load in case she gets behind on WWC (she is also having a hard time grasping the whole weekly water change thing)

So I was thinking a Dwarf Gourami, they're very curious to whats going on in their surroundings but don't feel like they would be as susceptible to fin rot compared to a lot of Beta variations.

Would it be best to stick with 1 Gourami and maybe find compatible bottom dweller(s)? Or try for a pair of Gourami's?
    I'm a big fan of the white clouds but that would be a lot in the top strata and the minnows alone I think they would get bored with them.

So if anyone could chime in? I have some time to get everything together. She will be in the hospital for awhile (having some complications with her current pregnancy) But I know it would really bring everyone's mood up to get this going and get it started...

Thanks ahead of time :)

2. Ryba Initiate Member

I wouldn't try the white minnows with the gourami since minnows are temperate fish and need cooler waters. If you want you could get a school of them along with a school of peppered cories. Now if you want a gourami, I would go with one solo gourami and maybe a school of harlequins or some other peaceful tetras. Be sure to add the gourami last so that it would try to prevent aggression. Also other great gouramis are the sparkling or croaking gourami and the honey gouramis. They both stay relatively small (even smaller than the dwarf gourami)

3. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I would go with a shrimp colony and maybe a few snails. They have a low bio-load and do well with less frequent water changes, provided that there are some plants in the tank to keep nitrates from building up too high. Some colorful red cherry shrimp would be cool for the kids to watch.

4. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yes i forget the White Clouds like cooler water cause they're such adaptable hardy fish, probably wouldn't keep them with the Gourami anyway. Too much in the top strata. But would be interested in maybe Gourami & some other bottom dwellers?

I think a 14 gallon would be fairly small for the peppered cories in their suggested group size. So corydoras are out =/ Bummer their such great characters! Unless their is a variation smaller than the peppered, Pygmy?

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Habrosus aka salt & pepper corys would work or pygmys but pygmys spend a lot of their time in the middle levels

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

@Dolfan Shrimp sound like they could be fun, They would need to get some java moss for the shrimp & would you advise adding a calcium supplement or do you think they would still be able to live pretty decently without?
    & also I guess the feeding? It says that eat algae but what other products would you recommend diet wise for them?
    I don't know exactly how I feel about snails what about a non-aggressive schooling fish?

Update: So I think I may just focus on the shrimp sounds like a good idea. Next question I guess would be pros & cons to mixing and matching shrimp?
    Didn't know if I should start a new thread

7. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

As for shrimp....I would start with just one type of shrimp. All neocardina shrimp can interbreed and producing not so pretty offspring. The easiest type of shrimp to start with is red cherry shrimp, I would stick with those.

As for tankmates, just about any fish you put in there will complicate things as they will eat baby shrimp unless you have a ton of cover, hiding spots, and live plants. Otocinclus are the exception as they are 100% shrimp safe but you would need 5-6 at least and there won't be enough algae for them, and they are somewhat tricky to get acclimated to a tank. I would stick with just shrimp and maybe some snails. After you got the shrimp colony going and had sufficient plants and d├ęcor for them to hide you could add a guppy or two, for some diversity.

As for food...there are a number of shrimp pellets on the market that can be easily found online at places like bigalspets.com, kensfish.com, petsmountain.com, or other online retailers. I suggest buying everything online as you will have much better selection and things are much cheaper. Hikari Shrimp Cuisine is a common, easy to find food that is good for shrimp. The trick to feeding shrimp is to go sparingly, many people make the mistake of overfeeding them. You can also supplement with fresh blanched veggies like spinach and zucchini.

As for calcium and their water....what is their water like? Is it hard/soft? High/low PH? etc. If they have hard water there should be plenty of calcium in the water for them. The veggies like spinach and zucchini are also good for extra calcium.

As for plants....yes java moss is great for shrimp, other good plants for shrimp include hornwort, subwassertang, frogbit, too name a few, but really the more plants the better with shrimp. Just stick with low light easy to keep plants. I have some of these plants for sale if you decide to purchase any, just shoot me a message.

Overall, the most important thing with shrimp is to keep stable water parameters with no ammonia or nitrite. Nitrate is ok, up to 40ppm range. The plants will help with that. Do your research as planning and foresight goes a long way with shrimp/inverts. Planetinverts.com is a great site for a lot of shrimp info. They have care sheets for just about any freshwater shrimp on the left side of home page, and a list of great articles on right side that cover most anything you will need to know about shrimp.

Also, here is a link to an article I wrote here on fishlore about getting started with freshwater shrimp like RCS or ghost shrimp....

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/content/162-freshwater-shrimp-beginners.html

8. Crissandra331 Member Member

Well I think I am set on red cherry shrimp colony. And now to begin my heap of research :)

If I can still find this thread when I get it set up i'll definitely post a pic of the finished product.
    I think it will have some potential with some careful planning :)

Thanks for all your help!