14 gal biocube - What Do You Recommend?

thesoulpatch

I have a 14 gal biocube, it is currently cycling and I'm wanting to eventually put some coral in it. I will need to get a new lighting system but is there any type of corals that are better in this size compared to the others?
Also anyone have any recommendations on a lighting system that won't "break the bank"? Like pref less than $100 if possible.

Nart

Look into Current Orbit Marine lights.

Duncan's and rock flower anemones will suit your tank well after it's done with the cycle.

stella1979

Hey thesoulpatch I ran across this video of a great little 8 gallon and thought of you... and you'd have almost twice the amount of space.

If I were you, I'd start with zoa's and rock flower anemones, (RFA's), they are pretty hardy and forgiving of new tanks. Then, probably a Duncan for the first LPS. After those were doing well, I'd move ahead with some euphyllia, (frogspawn, hammers, torches), then maybe some acans. I don't know if you've seen this, but here's a beautiful example of an RFA garden tank at my LFS. I think it would look even better as a zoa/RFA garden with a bit of the LPS mentioned above. Of course, then you'd have to be careful with placement so the corals don't sting each other.

RFA Garden.jpg

Nanologist

Hey thesoulpatch I ran across this video of a great little 8 gallon and thought of you... and you'd have almost twice the amount of space.

If I were you, I'd start with zoa's and rock flower anemones, (RFA's), they are pretty hardy and forgiving of new tanks. Then, probably a Duncan for the first LPS. After those were doing well, I'd move ahead with some euphyllia, (frogspawn, hammers, torches), then maybe some acans. I don't know if you've seen this, but here's a beautiful example of an RFA garden tank at my LFS. I think it would look even better as a zoa/RFA garden with a bit of the LPS mentioned above. Of course, you'd have to be careful with placement so the corals don't sting each other.

RFA Garden.jpg
That pic is killing me... I'm almost certain I want a 100% RFA garden now. I always thought I wanted diversity but there's something about that flower rock hippy festival I can't shake!

stella1979

You know what makes the hippy fest tank even better than you can see??? It's full of adorable little harlequin shrimp. It almost makes me want a pico rfa garden with an asterina outbreak.

Nanologist

You know what makes the hippy fest tank even better than you can see??? It's full of adorable little harlequin shrimp. It almost makes me want a pico rfa garden with an asterina outbreak.
Well I have asterina's so I'm half way there! I pull one or two out each week.

Every time I see that picture the more determined I am to do it... it's torture. Is there such a thing as "the RFA bug"? I think I caught it before getting one!

That settles it. The first thing going in my 10 gallon is an RFA and I'll be able to determine how much I like them and if I'd be pleased with a tank full.

Thanks again stella1979...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PeteStevers
Replies
Views
guthrieb08
Replies
Views
stella1979
Replies