132 Gallon Oscar Stocking

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
matija said:
i thinking about stocking this aquarium with common goldfish senegal bichir some sd and tiger oscar(he is stocked last so he cant eat other fish)
He will still bully and kill other fish. Goldfish would not survive because they need cold water and the others need it to be warmer.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I advise against an Oscar and goldfish together, they are an easy prey for the Oscar. Just because you add an aggressive fish last doesn’t mean they won’t eat other fish, it just means they won’t have as much options on territory establishment.

matija

Valued Member
Reaction score
how would 50 cm goldfish get eaten by 40 cm oscar

and i dont really understand how goldfish cant be in temperatures above 24 celsius when here in lake where wild goldfish live lake has 30 celsius whole summer and fish are doing fine

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are the dimensions of the tank?

Oscars can be very aggressive, and can bully or kill the goldie, even if he can't eat it in one bite.

The lake changes in temp over the year, so the high temps are only temporary. In your tank, the temp is more constant, and the fluctuations (if you were to add them) would be too extreme for the other fish in your tank. At the higher temps, goldies will have a shortened lifespand - not very fair to them. Additionally, both oscars and goldies are super messy - too much for this tank to have both.

matija

Valued Member
Reaction score
tank is 2 meter by 50 cm and 60 cm high. i have sump 30 gallon

so tell me how would you stock 132 gallon tank

danhutchins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
matija said:
how would 50 cm goldfish get eaten by 40 cm oscar
Just going by experience on Oscars. I had a fish close to the same size as my oscar and he killed it didn't eat it but bullied it to death.

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Keep goldfish by itself, don't mix it with others. Goldfish aren't coldwater fish either they are just very tolerant of colder waters compared to other fish.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you dont like species only tanks, then dont do Oscars. Ive been keeping them for 25 years and the ONLY fish Ive ever had them NOT kill were plecos. But you need a MASSIVE tank and filtration system to do Oscars and plecos together.

matija

Valued Member
Reaction score
how every one on this forum is against oscar in species only tank but on oscarfishlover they say silver dollars in large groups and senegals are okay

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
matija said:
how every one on this forum is against oscar in species only tank but on oscarfishlover they say silver dollars in large groups and senegals are okay
Look, it's best to keep them in species only, and 3 would do well in that tank. It's just that you have a pretty good chance of having your fish killed by the oscar. To minimize those odds, you need to have them all there while they are small. Like SMALL small, not full sized. Do you want to risk the deaths of other fish? You have to make that decision. Also, you need a good hard scape to break line of sight and divide territories so they don't squabble.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Its the internet. Everybody is an expert.

I used to be on an Oscar page on Facebook. 80% of the posts were absolute garbage and you could tell people had no clue what they were talking about. I basically spent my time there arguing with people that you can not have 2 Oscars in a 55 gallon (even though they said they had been doing it fine for years) so I left the page.

You can either believe people or not. Youre basically going to do whatever you want anyway regardless of what any of us tell you, so take it all with a grain of salt. Many of us have been doing it for decades, but the fact is ANYONE can say that.

Do some research. REAL research, and follow the facts.

matija

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well i have seen people succending with putting oscars and silver dollars together and i my fish will be all juveniles(i will put oscar later than the rest so he id accomodated with rest of the fish thinking they are bigger than him) when i put them in tank.and i know i have a lot of filtration and room because tank is 2 meters long 0,5 meter wide and 0,6 meters tall and i will put a lot of driftwood and rock and fish will be feed with so much vareity of food(home raised maggots,earthworms,crickets,molly(sometimes maybe about twice a month ,spinach lettuce ,cucumber,cherry shrimp etc.)so i think they will be okay

MRfishkeeper

Reaction score
Agree with Duane, I've tried to keep Oscars with other fish, but they are savage. Very responsive friendly fish towards their owners but the complete opposite with other fish. They are always hungry and trying to eat fish even bigger than it. Like has been said, it will not eat the goldfish in one bite but it'll definitely bully it to death. When my 220 was setup I was relatively new to the hobby, maybe a year and a half at most but it was an obsession for the first year constantly starting up new aquariums. The tank was just one massive experiment. I had a single oscar, 5 bala sharks, 4 red belly piranhas & two plecos.

The tank ran for over a year, I had nice pieces of drift wood and some rocks around the tank & I think that's the main reason the plecos survived without issues. The bala sharks would be chased around the tank by that Oscar literally from morning until night - but he never bothered the piranhas, and I kept the tank well fed so I never had any problems with the piranhas trying to attack the balas or oscar. Couldn't stand seeing this oscar chasing around these bala sharks - because when I say it was an all day thing I literally meant it. I took out the bala sharks and put them with my angelfish in a 90 gallon for a couple of weeks until I could successfully re-home them at my LFS.

What do you know, I wake up one morning and I see a dead Piranha & my oscar picking it up and spitting it out around the tank.

Bottom line - they are always trying to prey on whatever they can from my experience. I was lucky that my LFS took back such a big fish or he'd have a 220 gallon to himself. I've seen tanks where Oscars have lived with Flowerhorns/Red Devils for a while but that's because they are even more aggressive & hold their ground. If they're the same size, stress may still kill them over time but I've seen other times in big enough tanks where both fish keep to their own territory and encounters are minimal. Depends on the fish tbh, trial and error in those cases, but the guarantee is that anything the oscar can bully it will bully it to death.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom