130g Tanganyikan Tank

thefuzzyaussie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hey guys,

So as I change my mind like I change my undies I've had another thought in regards to stocking my 130g.

First things first, tank is 183cm long x 48.5 deep x 60.5 tall, 537l (138g).
Either going to be running a sump (around 140l) or canister filter/s aiming for at least 2000 lph flow rate either way.

Now I was at my LFS today and not for the first time the Neolamprologus Brichardi caught my eye. Double winner as my partner was the one who suggested we get some! So I was wondering what kind of stocking I could get away with if I had Neo. Brichardi's as my main school, Numbers, species, set-up etc.

I'd be going a full Tanganyikan biotope (hopefully with some anubias and java fern if that would work), tan/white sand, massive amounts of rockwork (recommendations as to rock type would be great!) and hopefully go from there. My water seems to suit as well as out of the tap is is decently hard with a pH of around 7.8.

So yeh, any recommendations for the above would be absolutely fantastic!

Thanks in advance

- Fuzzy

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
LeoDiaz

Can you get readings for GH and KH? A pH of 7.8 doesn't mean your water is hard enough for them.

You can use limestone rock work (in addition to others) to increase your GH and KH.

thefuzzyaussie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TexasDomer said:
LeoDiaz

Can you get readings for GH and KH? A pH of 7.8 doesn't mean your water is hard enough for them.

You can use limestone rock work (in addition to others) to increase your GH and KH.
Gh and kh are 7 and 9 respectively. Will give that link a read right now

thefuzzyaussie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So after reading and researching a a little bit it seems something like this might be worthwhile?

Neolamprologus brichardi
Neolamprologus leleupi
Altolamprologus calvus
Julidochromis regani

If i can get some more species that would be great, and im not sure at all on numbers for each so some guidance there would be great.

In regards to hardness, how do the above figures seem? Im definitely going to look into limestone rockwork in the best interest of the fish.

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have little experience with tanganyika so I can really help sorry.

thefuzzyaussie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LeoDiaz said:
I have little experience with tanganyika so I can really help sorry.
No problems at all thanks for your help so far.
Would there be someone on here you would recommend who might have a bit more experience?

LeoDiaz

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thefuzzyaussie said:
No problems at all thanks for your help so far.
Would there be someone on here you would recommend who might have a bit more experience?
Not that I know of, not many people on here keep rift lake cichlids.

thefuzzyaussie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
LeoDiaz said:
Not that I know of, not many people on here keep rift lake cichlids.
Interesting to know. I'll have to make sure I document it all then! Back into the world of reseaech I go I guess

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom