13 Gallon Tank Help

Noviceguy15

Reaction score
I recently bought a 13 gallon Aqueon tank. After having the water tested, I introduced 2 small male guppies and 2 ghost shrimp. I was wondering what other fish would thrive in this tank. It is quite tall, so I have been looking at dwarf gouramis, as they are somewhat tall and skinny. Would this be okay in my tank without upgrading to a larger one down the line? And as far as decor goes, do fish prefer many plants taking up space, or a scarcely planted tank? Thanks!

I forgot to mention, I like dwarf gouramis as they are the centerpiece of the tank. I was also considering maybe 1 betta?

Last edited by a moderator:

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depending on the type a dwarf gourami would be ok as a center piece. As for plants it depends on what fish you have but imo fish do better with live plants.

adadrian

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i really like dwarf gourami defiantly a good and peaceful fish.

mine have always had good personality and always recognised me

BornThisWayBettas

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Nice to have you here!

Imo, don't do bettas with guppies. Some people (including myself) have successfully managed it, but given the long, flowing fins of the guppy it's extremely risky, as the betta might attack thinking that the guppy is another betta.

But otherwise, what kind of fish do you want? I think the tank is a little small for a dwarf gourami, imo, but others might disagree. You could do a platy, if you like those.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree, don't do a betta in your tank, they aren't really community fish anyway imo, and i certainly wouldn't try it in your size tank. I think a dwarf gourami would be ok as a centerpiece fish personally. Ime fish do seem happier with a planted tank, mine certainly are anyway.

Welcome to fishlore!

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The only centerpiece fish that would work in your tank size is a honey gourami as they are fairly inactive. Dwarfs get a little too big for a 13 gallon I think.

Gvilleguy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hey noviceguy - Welcome to the forum!! Apart from the stocking, are you familiar with cycling a tank? If you have not read up on cycling, you might want to. Otherwise your fish might start having trouble.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey noviceguy - Welcome to the forum!! Apart from the stocking, are you familiar with cycling a tank? If you have not read up on cycling, you might want to. Otherwise your fish might start having trouble.
In the first post, the OP mentioned having his water tested. Not sure if he posted the results though.

ClearEyes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are the dimensions of your tank? You said it's "quite tall". Height doesn't matter so much as footprint. If your tank is only 13 gallons and tall, that implies a small footprint, and it doesn't sound like a dwarf gourami would work.

Noviceguy15

Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who gave me advice. My tank is 24L x 8W x 16T. When I first got this tank I was hoping to have a centerpiece fish, like an angel or gourami. Based on what most people have said, I think I will keep gouramis out of this tank, as they won't be too happy. Any other recommendations for community fish? I also like the idea of having other animals in the tank with the fish. Any ideas?

Gvilleguy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
24 inches wide is a friendly footprint in my opinion. I think a dwarf gourami would be okay in that.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
24 inches wide is a friendly footprint in my opinion. I think a dwarf gourami would be okay in that.
The OP's tank actually has a smaller footprint than a 10 gallon... a 10g is 20x10 or 200 sq in, the OP's is 24x8, or 192 sq in... so a DG would not work.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
@Dom90, my bad. I was thinking DG are 2 inches. But they go 3.5, don't they?
No problem. This is straight from Seriously Fish: "A maximum length of 3.5″ (8.8cm) is cited by some sources. Presumably this refers to males as females of the are much the smaller . Most specimens reach no more than 3″ (7.5cm), with females a little smaller at around 2.4″ (6cm)."... A DG still wouldn't work in the OP's tank either way though.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom