12l (3.17g) tank - Actually big enough for anything?

1. Baba B Initiate Member

As the title implies, I have a very tiny fish tank that I inherited. It is only 12 liters (~3 gallons). Is the tank large enough to healthfully house anything other than fry? If so, which species of fish would do best in such a small environment? Neon tetras come to mind as something I’d like to keep...but as a noob I want to learn before I buy anything. Thanks!

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Neon tetras definitely won't be happy in that size tank, but what are the dimensions? If it's not tall and narrow it may be possible to keep a Betta in it! Shrimp though would definitely work;)

3. Airth Member Member

I second the shrimp or betta, though leaning toward shrimp; my personal preference is at least a 5 gallon for a betta. Always feel bad seeing them in those small cups that when I get one, I like to give it as much room as I possibly can. lol

Please be sure to cycle your tank before getting any fish for the tank. =)

4. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Betta, nano shrimp, snails. For fun all add pros and cons lol.
    Pros
    Betta- great personality, will come to the wall to greet you and get excited if you talk to it or are active near the tank
    Snail-nerite you could keep one or two with the Betta, mystery snails are awesome to watch and funny little creatures.
    Shrimp- will reproduce and have young so you can watch the female care for eggs and the babies grow up.
    Cons
    Betta- many are sold already ill
    Snails- nerite females lay eggs everywhere that are impossible to remove and there's no way to tell male and female apart. Mystery-egg clutches and babies
    Shrimp- ?
    So you could do a Betta and a nerite or mystery snails and nerite snails or any snails with shrimp. I like at least one mystery snail with my shrimp because the shrimp ride around on their backs and it's cute. I have neon tetras my ten gallon and people here say that's not big enough so it's a no on them. Make sure to buy tetra safe start and water conditioner and use as directed. Make sure you have a filter and heater for a Betta and make sure the heater stays at 78 degrees. I like the aqueon 50W. Depending on the climate where you live you might need a heater for shrimp or snails and depending on stocking you might need a filter for snails but do not need a filter for shrimp.

5. Baba B Initiate Member

It is about 9 inches wide, 11 tall and deep. A male betta is another thing I have on my list of fish to eventually keep so maybe I’ll go with that route.

I already keep snails in my larger tank, they are cool but 4 is enough for me. Bettas like low flow, correct? What about plants/wood, do thy prefer them?

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

So, not too big, but not bad. Bettas love plants and decor! They are curious and intelligent and love having things to explore. As for the flow, some Bettas can get used to it, especially short finned ones but sponge filters are what I prefer to use because no Betta has a problem with those;)

7. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

My bettas favorite is anubias and they like to have something near the top to lay on so I would do a fake floating log. My bettas sleep in sideways plants near the top or the log sometimes. My bettas could care less about my driftwood. And yes they like no flow. Tank is cloudy because I just did a water change. [​IMG]

8. Baba B Initiate Member

Cool, I’ll see what I can come up with. When I’m finished I’ll post again and share some pics or a video!

9. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

Yay!