125G Overstocked?

• Thread starter Hemikyle
  • Start date

Hemikyle

Today I was wondering since I was able to grab my hands on some very beautiful cichlids that are in QT atm. I was wondering if my 125G is going to be over stocked?

Currently have 29 Cichlids all together in the 125 at the moment the biggest being about only 3-4 inches, 2 are mbunas, 3 are convicts, 1 is a tropheus, 1 is a blood parrot, and 2 are white lip mdokas, and all the rest are normal peacocks, and 1 rubber pleco.

I have 7 peacocks, and 3 Frontosa. 3 of the peacocks that are about full grown 6 inches, and the frontosa are about the same size, and 4 small catfish.

Now I really am hoping I can keep everyone in my 125G tank but I really don't want to overstock. I'm aware the frontosa are going to get big but how big would they have to get in order for me to get a bigger tank? 10 inches? 12?

Whats your thoughts? Overstocked or just right?

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Overstocked as far as bioload or overstocked in regards to compatibility?

I personally would not add anymore fosh due to compatibility issues as the current stocking gets older.

I've got a Frontosa as well and its one of my favorites.

Hemikyle

Islandvic said:
Overstocked as far as bioload or overstocked in regards to compatibility?

I personally would not add anymore fosh due to compatibility issues as the current stocking gets older.

I've got a Frontosa as well and its one of my favorites.
With everything I have as of now would it be too much in a 125G space wise? I'm not worried about Biological i have two 110 aqua clear haha plan on moving up to a fluval canister filter soon.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
If it was all African Mbuna and Peacocks, then you could stuff a lot of fish in there to spread put aggression.

But with the Frontosa in there, they are relatively peaceful. I wouldn't want to stress them out more by adding more fish, but that's just my opinion.

When all the fish are fully grown, the Frontosa will be worth the most.

If you add a canister filter, I would suggest to keep your pair of AC110's on there. Your 2x Aquaclear filters would be the minimum I would have on a 125g.

Not sure how they are set up,, but consider stacking a 2nd foam block on top of the original one.

The foam sponge blocks in Aquaclears do a fantastic job at colonizing beneficial bacteria while not clogging too fast.

an old scholol fishkeeper / breeder here on thr forum runs dozens and dozens of Aquaclears and always advised on the benefits of running double foam blocks in the AC's.

Sponge pre-filters on the intake tubes work well, especially on the AC110's. I use the ATI Filter Max III on mine, but the slip-on style that Cory from Aquarium Co-Op sells work very well also.

Hemikyle

Islandvic said:
If it was all African Mbuna and Peacocks, then you could stuff a lot of fish in there to spread put aggression.

But with the Frontosa in there, they are relatively peaceful. I wouldn't want to stress them out more by adding more fish, but that's just my opinion.

If you add a canister filter, I would suggest to keep your pair of AC110's on there. Your 2x Aquaclear filters would be the minimum I would have on a 125g.

Not sure how they are set up,, but consider stacking a 2nd foam block on top of the original one.

The foam sponge blocks in Aquaclears do a fantastic job at colonizing beneficial bacteria while not clogging too fast.

an old scholol fishkeeper / breeder here on thr forum runs dozens and dozens of Aquaclears and always advised on the benefits of running double foam blocks in the AC's.

Sponge pre-filters on the intake tubes work well, especially on the AC110's. I use the ATI Filter Max III on mine, but the slip-on style Corybfrom Aquarium Co-Op sells work very well also.
Thanks for the tips im definitely getting a canister filter and ill keep those on there then! And I know about those pre filters weren't sure if they actually did anything haha.

But do you think the 29 cichlids talked about and the 7 more peacocks I got in QT along with 3 frontosas would be okay in the 125G? What should I do when the frontosa get bigger? And how big should I worry or think about getting a bigger tank?

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
So my one Frontosa is maybe 7". Its not full grown yet and I don't claim to be an expert on them. The other CA/SA cichlids have always left it alone.

All the fish in my CA/SA tank (yes I know Frontosa are from Africa) were given to me by my friend.

If any of the tank mates started to jack with my Frontosa and stressed it out, I would re-home them with my effort in trying to keep the Frontosa over the others.

I'm not sure how your 125g is scaped, but I have a lot of terra cotta pots (many with the bottoms broken out to make caves) amd pieces of driftwood.

This gives everyone their own area to hang out in and call their own when they aren't swimming about the tank.

This arrangement seems to keep everyone happy so far.

As for your 125g, once the cichlids are done being in QT, i would add them in.

I wouldn't worry about the stocking unless you notice to many bullys are harassing and stressing others.

I had to pull out a large Blood Parrot for being to aggressive towards a larger Vieja. For a few months it actted just fine. Then it became a PITA. Twice I put the BP in a time-out tank to chill and returned him back. After a few days it went back to being a PITA. It stayed in a tank by itself on our back covered deck over the summer until I donated it to my LFS.

I gave this example because everything could be fine for a few months then one fish decides to snap and become a bully.

That's when you need a quick temporary tank to pit the offenders in.

You'll have to prioritize which fish you like better than others if this happens.

In my case, I liked the Vieja more than the BP.

As long as everyone generally stays ok with each other and doesn't overly stress other fish, then all should be good.

Just be on rhe look out for a fish who's personality changes, like my BP did. If that happens, you'll have to reevaluate the situation

Hemikyle

Islandvic said:
So my one Frontosa is maybe 7". Its not full grown yet and I don't claim to be an expert on them. The other CA/SA cichlids have always left it alone.

All the fish in my CA/SA tank (yes I know Frontosa are from Africa) were given to me by my friend.

If any of the tank mates started to jack with my Frontosa and stressed it out, I would re-home them with my effort in trying to keep the Frontosa over the others.

I'm not sure how your 125g is scaped, but I have a lot of terra cotta pots (many with the bottoms broken out to make caves) amd pieces of driftwood.

This gives everyone their own area to hang out in and call their own when they aren't swimming about the tank.

This arrangement seems to keep everyone happy so far.

As for your 125g, once the cichlids are done being in QT, i would add them in.

I wouldn't worry about the stocking unless you notice to many bullys are harassing and stressing others.

I had to pull out a large Blood Parrot for being to aggressive towards a larger Vieja. For a few months it actted just fine. Then it became a PITA. Twice I put the BP in a time-out tank to chill and returned him back. After a few days it went back to being a PITA. It stayed in a tank by itself on our back covered deck over the summer until I donated it to my LFS.

I gave this example because everything could be fine for a few months then one fish decides to snap and become a bully.

That's when you need a quick temporary tank to pit the offenders in.

You'll have to prioritize which fish you like better than others if this happens.

In my case, I liked the Vieja more than the BP.

As long as everyone generally stays ok with each other and doesn't overly stress other fish, then all should be good.

Just be on rhe look out for a fish who's personality changes, like my BP did. If that happens, you'll have to reevaluate the situation
Gotcha okay I appreciate all the info you said it perfectly I know i definitely need caves of some sort because the only hiding places I have are plants and pvc pipes but the pot idea sounds like a good idea. I'll definitely keep an eye on them. I know the frontosa are getting irritated with each other being in just my 75G im sure there not happy being so close haha. Idk if they will make it 2 weeks in that honestly. I think one might have nipped another frontosa fin so idk what to do if i should let them be in the QT or release them into the 125

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Well tomorrow will make 2 weeks of them being in QT, right ?

Have any of the fish exhibited any signs or symptoms of being ill?

Hemikyle

Islandvic said:
Well tomorrow will make 2 weeks of them being in QT, right ?

Have any of the fish exhibited any signs or symptoms of being ill?
Yes tomorrow is 2 weeks and no no signs or anything they all look healthy people are saying I should QT a little longer and not sure haha

Top Bottom