125g Oscar Setup

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Kyle welch, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Kyle welch

Kyle welchNew MemberMember

hey everyone. New to the forum. I have been in and out of the hobby for the past 15 years. I now have the biggest tank that I’ve ever had. It’s a 125. For filtration I’m running 2 fluval fx4’s I also have 2 hydor 1500gph powerheads. For heating the fluval e300w digital heater that’s been doing wonderful in my tank. The tank is fully cycled. I just recently added the 2nd fluval fx4. I’ve never used canister filters until now. I finally got everything done. And have recently started to add live plants to the tank. Just been fine tuning everything for optimal filtration. Does anyone run dual canister filters and if so what is the best placement for the intakes and outputs? Anyways just wanted to post some pics of the tank since I finally got it all done.

Attached Files:

2. Dawn Michele

Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore!!! Beautiful tank!!!

3. OP
    OP
    Kyle welch

Hey thanks so much.

4. Dawn Michele

Hey Kyle!!! It says 125 Oscar setup. I didn't see your Oscar? This is my 125 with my Oscar Big Boy.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  5. Beaveresque

BeaveresqueNew MemberMember

Looks like they’re wee young‘uns! Look for the little albino/lutino near the middle-right, for instance.

6. OP
    OP
    Kyle welch

9E044967-57D4-4196-875D-AC551D419305.jpeg46A161E7-0D31-4CEC-8499-482F1C34716C.jpeg4B61AA19-317A-461D-88A1-0F908D5D3522.jpeg2E56BF8F-E9CC-482B-B205-7A99FD9C9AD9.jpeg Yea they are just babies right now haha. But soon the will be big lol. I will end up with a bigger tank before it’s said and done. But for now this will suffice

he Is a big boy. And very beautiful. I love oscars they are such neat fish. A lot of personality and a lot of fun.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  7. Dawn Michele

OMG!!! They are so little!!! Your right. They will be big before you know it!!!

Thanks Kyle!!! I had him since he was baby. He is so much fun!!! Always rearranging his tank!!! LOL!!!

I had my glasses on and I still didn't see them!!! LOL!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  8. OP
    OP
    Kyle welch

is there a way to pm people on here?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  9. Dawn Michele

Hi Kyle. You need 50 post's to be able to PM someone.

10. OP
    OP
    Kyle welch

Hey thanks I gotta get posting then!

11. Dawn Michele

Yes you do!!!! :)

12. OP
    OP
    Kyle welch

8ED9E75F-67B0-46F0-9624-2A40AED22F18.jpegEF2F91CC-BEE5-44A8-94E7-A8A3662E2FCF.jpeg8CBC5DC9-B7F2-461E-9CED-3A6B17857997.jpeg0C8675C7-C408-41C5-8971-BC3AC63D9106.jpeg6C0F3EDA-0A6C-404A-AC63-66CCD967FF75.jpeg Smoke tint on ends of tank for that more inclosed feeling. Turned out pretty good

13. Mike1995

Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

just an fyi for the future, being a former Oscar keeper, they will turn your live plants into salad. Even at a young age/small size. they seem to enjoy making the tank their way.

14. OP
    OP
    Kyle welch

Oh yea I know I’ve had some in the past. So far it’s been about a month and they haven’t yet but I’m just waiting to come home after work one night and them being destroyed lol. But for now I’m just gonna wait and see. I wanted some green inside and I don’t like fake plants to much and they’ll move those too.

15. Dawn Michele

Hey Kyle!!! Tank looks incredible!!!

16. tfreema

tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

Hey Kyle! I found the thread. Thanks for hooking me up to follow along! When you said you got the same tank as me, I just thought you meant a 125g, but you got the same exact tank, stand and everything! That is awesome! The stand is really nice and has a standout look which is what spurred me to stop looking at used and just buy the one on sale (the very last day of the sale, lol).

Nice setup, looks great!

Is that a birchir I see? Excited to see how your tank and fish develop and grow.

You said you use a fluval heater. What thermometer are you using?

17. OP
    OP
    Kyle welch

Thanks. It’s the fluval e300 and it works great for keeping the temperature right where you put it. It had a digital display of current temp. Yes there’s a bichr. 3 oscars and a silver arowana I have a couple of synodontis catfish aswell for the bottom. My sand is finally clean of debris and is working so well with this setup.

18. tfreema

tfreemaFishlore VIPMember

What synos do you have? I will have a small batch of lucippinis (false petricola) in mine.

I have an undersubstrate jet system hooked to 2 power heads in my 120 that works really well to keep the debris off the floor of the tank. I just don't like how the placement of the jets limits re-scaping. I did not consider that I might want to change that when I put them in, lol. It is nice to keep that stuff kicked up into the water column so the filter intakes picks it up. Warning though, those filters will get really nasty. I try to clean my fx6 on the 120 about every 6-8 weeks, but it tends to go a little longer to like 12 weeks, then it is a chore. Maybe having 2 fx4's on the 125 will not get as cruddy. It will be interesting to find out.