125g new tank

1. JaJa Initiate Member

Hello I recently bought a 125g tank. I am looking to do an aggressive tank (bored with just my community tank, want something new) I've been doing a lot of research and am trying to decide what I should stock my tank with. I really want something that will interact with me and not hide when someone walks in the room...if any of you guys have suggestions/advice I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!!

2. thefuzzyaussie Member Member

Just my personal opinion but i love the look of EBJD's. Super cool fish

Or you could do a biotope. A Frontosa only tank would look great

3. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Can we see the pic of the tank? What are the readings? What's the temp!? And what's the pH? I would maybe do am Oscar or a flowerhorn.

4. creeden511 Initiate Member

I was thinking the same thing, an oscar sounds perfect for what you want.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

How about a group of firemouths? They're so infrequently used in large tanks around here, and they are beautiful. Like most cichlids, they have lots of personality!

6. JaJa Initiate Member

Yeah I thought about ebjds because they have a fantastic look but it seems they're not too compatible with other fish one they get a decent size...of course everything I read is always a bit different

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I've heard EBJDs are more docile than regular JDs, so that may not be as much of an issue, depending on your other stock.

8. JaJa Initiate Member

I have yet to set that all up, I am moving soon so I'm waiting to set it up in the new house but wanted to do my research now and figure out what to stock it with. I absolutely love the flowerhorn look but I was hoping to get a few kinds of fish in there. I was thinking an Oscar, flowerhorn, and green terror....I was told by LFS that if i start them all as juveniles then these 3 kinds of fish can be in the same tank.... Any thoughts about that?

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Just because they can be kept together as juveniles doesn't mean they can be kept together as adults. I wouldn't keep those fish together - I'd expect you'll have fish bullied or killed.

What about two oscars?

10. JaJa Initiate Member

They are very beautiful, if i start small and young i was told i can do firemouth, green terror, EBJD, and oscar. Any thoughts on that mix? I'd love to have the variety. All the research I've done has given me a lot of contradicting oppinions...

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Green terrors and oscars are a few inches bigger than the firemouths, so I don't think that'll work.

What about 8 firemouths and a larger dither fish for the top?

12. slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Firemouths will be fine with an Oscar and a green terror.

13. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks for the correction! I wasn't sure if the firemouths would be able to hold their own against the larger GT.

14. Fufu Member Member

What about an Oscar with parachromis friedrichsthalii (yellow jacket cichlid), green saum and maybe macaw/parrot cichlid?

Fufu

15. JaJa Initiate Member

That's definitely an option as well, thanks. That combo would make for some good color in the tank too.

16. Fufu Member Member

Yeah it does. I've got something similar in my 120G too

Fufu