125g Malawi Cichlid Tank Setup Help

who's better?

1. The All Blacks

2. The Springbok

0 vote(s)
  1. Kody Grieve Member Member

so be being financially reckless, I impulse bought a new 125g tank and wanted to keep cichlids in it as I deemed my 55g too small for the cichlids to be comfortable. I am also a poor uni student so I will NOT be buying some Fluval canister filter that costs so much I won't be eating lunch for the next 9 months because I like food and not starving like most people I'm sure.

so I have decided to actually use my engineering degree for a real life application and build a filter myself. don't worry about build difficulty, i'm stubborn and meticulous to detail so it can be as complicated as you'd like but when I can't source vital parts that's when i get shitty. so if you're going to suggest a filter made with weird parts, please provide a link/source them so I don't spend half my life looking for some weird component that only exists in Bangladesh or something.

at the moment im leaning towards a high flow rate trickle tower made with those plastic drawers you had as a child that you'd keep your lego in (im sure you know what im talking about hahaha). but if anyone else has a better idea then please share. also it cant be super difficult to clean because without exception, I will get water absolutely everywhere and i'm renting so id rather not be responsible for floor replacement.

its also in my living area so it can't be super loud.

also, can someone source some bulk buy scrubbies for bio media? i live in New Zealand which means we don't have Walmart or apparently scrubbies (and i went to 300000 2 dollar shops with no luck) so if someone could drop a link then ill buy you a box of steinies or something xx

also also, if anyone wants to suggest stocking then feel free but only if you feel frisky.
  2. DIYhack Member Member

Sounds fun!

Easiest thing would probably be the 5 Gallon bucket filter DIY. It's on youtube.

You'd prob need to buy a 800 GPH pump at least. Which are like $80 US. Only problem is you starting fighting the Hmmmmmmm hmmm of the motor.

3. Kody Grieve Member Member

Huh ok. When you say bucket do you mean canister or fluidised? Cause them fluid bed filters are noisey apparently.
  4. DIYhack Member Member

It's a can. I was thinking something like this...

5. Kody Grieve Member Member

Sounds like a plan! Thanks a lot.