125G Leaking

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Last night while doing a water change on the 125G tank, I noticed that the HOB filter was leaking. As this was a temporary filter, I decided to remove it. Completed the water changes and cleaned up the water on the floor. And, thought that would be the end of it.

Got up this morning, checked everything and found no more water dripping. So, again thought that was the end of it.

Started to clean my 90G which is in the same room and noticed the water level on the 125G had dropped a little. I just figured that the tank wasn't as full as I thought it was. But, then I heard water dropping! I thought I found the leak in a corner seam, and added an aquarium epoxy to the outside corner. Kept watching this tank while working on the 90G. Unfortunately, the 125 continues to leak.

I checked the filter, air lines, heater cords.....everything that water may somehow be finding an escape. And, after a hour of drying everything off trying to find the leak, I am thinking that it is somewhere in the bottom seam. I do not find any water on the filter tubes or any electrical cords; yet water continues to drip.

As this tank has been set up for 2 weeks with no issues, I was wondering if maybe the cabinet became weakened with the filter leak? I am just so frustrated that the HOB leaks, and now the tank leaks.

Regardless of why, I am now draining this tank so I can take it outside and investigate further. And, I also want to check out the cabinet to make sure it hasn't been too damaged by the water.

Once the tank is only holding about 6 inches of water, I plan on checking things out further. At this point I need to remove the fish as the largest Silver Dollar is huge. I can stuff the fish into the 55 again and transfer the filter. Ugh, I am so disgusted right now.

QUESTION: Is there a special sealant I should use on such a large tank? I have to run to the store to pick up plastic tubs to hold everything while working on this tank. I have an aquarium sealant, but it states that it is only good for tanks under 30G.

I need help from those of you who build/repair large aquariums.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get 100% Silicone at the store (Home Depot, Lowes, ect.). That should do it. (You may need a caulk gun, too). Sorry you are having troubles! Be glad it didnt explode in the middle of the night like my 6 gallon did! @.@ I almost died that day... x_x

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
That's what I have, 100% silicone. But, what concerns me is that it specifically states for aquariums under 30 gallons and less than 18 inches high.

What is different with the seals on larger aquariums?

I have been reading while the aquarium drains and found information that stated that larger aquariums had 2 seals. One that held the glass plates together and another inner seal that is required to hold the water.

I can run out to the hardware store to pick up more silicone, but want to make sure I do this right. I tried to seal a crack in a 29G, but gave up and threw it out. My fear is that the HOB leak weakened the cabinet and now the tank is cracked. I know this is my mind playing with me, but it seems odd that everything was fine until that filter leaked and soaked the cabinet.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's what I have, 100% silicone. But, what concerns me is that it specifically states for aquariums under 30 gallons and less than 18 inches high.

What is different with the seals on larger aquariums?

I have been reading while the aquarium drains and found information that stated that larger aquariums had 2 seals. One that held the glass plates together and another inner seal that is required to hold the water.

I can run out to the hardware store to pick up more silicone, but want to make sure I do this right. I tried to seal a crack in a 29G, but gave up and threw it out. My fear is that the HOB leak weakened the cabinet and now the tank is cracked. I know this is my mind playing with me, but it seems odd that everything was fine until that filter leaked and soaked the cabinet.
Not sure why it specifies.

And you anwsered your own question lol Double seals... XD

If you can pin-point where its leaking, I dont think it would hurt to reseal it with what you have and test it after it cures in a place where its ok if something gets wet (porch, garage...), and maybe on some towels so you can see if it leakes even a little.

The stand should be made to put up with some water. Maybe take a level to it...?

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Thanks Akari! Can you tell I am stressed? Not thinking.

I believe the leak is coming from the middle of the bottom seam in the back. It is against the wall and difficult to pinpoint the exact spot. The tank is 6 foot long and my arms just don't stretch far enough.

I am trying to round up everything I need. A friend works at Sears and they are having a sale on tuperware tubs. 30 gallon tubs for $4.95. So, will be picking up a few of them to hold my sand, driftwood, rocks, etc. And, it's back into the 55 for everyone. And move the filter back so it holds the cycle.....as well as helps with all the waste and daily 60% water changes on the 55G.

Trying to find help as this tank is much too heavy for me to move. I have already cleared an area on the back deck to work on the tank. Once the tank is moved outside, then I can check the cabinet to see if it is level or not. Now that I am thinking about it, and as it is an aquarium cabinet specifically built for a tank this size, I am hoping that you are correct in that there is no water damage.

Anyway, thanks for responding and helping me to think this through. Much appreciated.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol Np! Glad to help ^.^ Its nice to have some one who can think for you when you're stressed out

Not much to do now other than wait for help.

Have fun with those water changes, btw >.<

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
OMG - what a day!

Went to the store and picked up those $5 tubs. I didn't realize it, but they cannot handle any weight. Cheap things! No wonder there were on sale! Anyway, they held water, so did serve its purpose. And picked up more silicone to use for the repair.

Drained tank, filled up all those tubs with the decor, sand, rocks, driftwood, etc. I hadn't even thought about how I was going to get that tank outside. And, my daughter came home from work with a couple of guys to help carry it outside. Boy was that a big surprise! Moved out the cabinet and realized the hardwood floor was soaked. I checked out the cabinet, and other than being wet, it appears to be stable. So, I believe it is just a coincidence that the HOB leaked yesterday.

I am just thankful that today was a holiday and that I didn't come from from work to find gallons and gallons of water on the floor from the leak. It could have been much worse.

It has been a stressful and long day! Not sure how I am going to keep that tank dry enough to work on it as it is supposed to rain all week and I do not have a covered work area. But one problem at a time. I only work 3 days this week, so will have a long weekend to hopefully seal that tank and get it set back up.

Anyone who has worked on large aquariums: Your advice on how to best approach repairing/sealing the tank would be much appreciated!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Catsma,

So sorry to hear about your tank issues. I don't know how well the silicone will hold when you do a certain spot and not reseal the entire aquarium.

I tried to silicone a 26g a while back, just one spot where the leak was and it lasted for a while but began leaking again.

Here is a link that you may find helpful:

Best wishes! I hope you can make it work!

Ken

hacksaw15

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would recommend resealing the whole tank and not just trying to repair the leaking spot. My cousin gave me a 90 gallon tank that had no leaks at all. I brought it in the house put it on the stand filled it with water and let it stand for 2 days and no leaks. So I drained and cleaned it and let it sit for a week and was ready to get it up and going and wiped it down one more time and notice the silicone was pealing and loose. So who knows if or when it was going to leak but to save yourself from going through this again you should reseal the whole tank. After I got all of the old seal out it took me and my brother around 2 hours to do the whole job. I watch a video on Youtube to learn how to do it. It's really a two person job. Once again RESEAL THE WHOLE TANK if you don't want to deal with this again in the near future.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Thanks. After researching on the internet, I came to the conclusion that I would have to do the entire tank. As the day went on the leak became worse. So much so that it was looking like the seal was falling apart by the minute. My floors are so wet it is going to take a few days to dry out!

I will spend time digging around youtube.

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear about your floors! Hope they didnt get ruined, I know how wood floors are >.< And your tank! That sucks... I hope you can fix it. Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom