125G Leaking

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
My 125 gallon tank is leaking. I have no idea where it is leaking from either. My floor is nice and wet though

The only place I have to put all the fish is a single 55. I have a feeling my fish aren't going to like being cramped in to a 55.

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Oh that is terrible!! Well at least you have another tank to use ( and BB ) until you find out where/whats leaking.... Good luck!!!

OP
C

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
It's a home made plywood tank. I'll have to put another coat of fibreglass on it. If I move some fish around, I can free up a second 55. Another issue is that my 55's don't have lids. Darn giant danios like to jump out.

OP
C

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
It's also snowing really hard outside. That is going to make it even more fun to find my leak ;D

I don't have a net big enough for some of my fish lol. I'm going to have to do some fish wrestling.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Well, if you want to tip the scale, you can drain the tank first Otherwise, I'd say the fish have the advantage

OP
C

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
I a certainly intend on draining it first! I'd never catch them if I don't. I hate being outsmarted by fish.

OP
C

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
All the fish are moved, almost all the water is drained. I've got a lot of wet sand to remove now. It was 100lbs when it was dry.

So tired. I got to play with a hose today, outside, during a snow storm. I was a special kind of cold I can't even wind the hose up because it's frozen solid now.

Once I get the sand out, I can move the tank and find the leak.

OP
C

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Tigress Hill said:
Doing such a feat reveals a man with a true love for his aquatic companions
There's that. Or I need to re-think my life choices. Lol! I've spent all day dealing with this. I've still got a nice puddle in my carpet too!

Jahnikar

I'd worry about that puddle before you worry about fixing the leak. If you get mold, you'll have bigger problems than an overstocked tank.

Sorry to hear you sprung a leak though. At least you caught it relatively quickly!

OP
C

Cichlidnut

Fishlore VIP
Of course I'll clean up the puddle first. I've got to move the darn tank and stand before I can do that. It's a lot of work! It's also extremely dry here. I'm not that worried about mold.

M0T0

Good luck with the repairs, what's the wait time after you patch it before you can fill it?

Everythingzen

Well Known
Silicone should be left to cure for a week in normal temperatures.

So sorry you're suffering the unique pain of a leak. Nothing can top it for suckiness. Good luck with drying the carpet. Can you pull it up to make sure all underlay and backing is dry? And, of course, best of luck to the fish. They'll be fine, I'm sure!

Edit: cichlid said it was fiberglass, sorry! Not sure what the cure time is on that. ignore me, lol.

New Threads