Experience
2 years
So currently in my 125 gallon I have:
5 Discus
12 Cardinal Tetra's
3 Rummy Nose Tetra's
4 Emperor Tetra's
4 Yoyo Loachs
To complete my stocking, I was considering adding in to help combat algae and extend the schools:
1 Bristle Nose Pleco
4 Siamese Algae Eatters.
8 More Emperor Tetra's
9 More Rummy Nose Tetra's
Is this too much, should I cut back or does it sound like it'll be fine?
The filtration is two Hydor Canister 600's.

DecoyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi Lucyn,
If you were to add more stock I wonder about your filter system, by 600's I assume they turn over 600 liters an hour which with 2 of them is 1200 liters an hour, which calculates to turning your tank water over 2.5 times an hour, your tank is 472 liters. From memory I think a tank of this size fully stocked requires the water to be turned over 5 times an hour... I could be wrong though, you should be able to find the water turn over info on this site somewhere though. As for the extra stock, im not experienced enough to know the answers sorry.

Lucyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hi Lucyn,
If you were to add more stock I wonder about your filter system, by 600's I assume they turn over 600 liters an hour which with 2 of them is 1200 liters an hour, which calculates to turning your tank water over 2.5 times an hour, your tank is 472 liters. From memory I think a tank of this size fully stocked requires the water to be turned over 5 times an hour... I could be wrong though, you should be able to find the water turn over info on this site somewhere though. As for the extra stock, im not experienced enough to know the answers sorry.
That’s just the model name haha. They each do around 560 gallons per hour.

BottomDweller

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stock looks pretty good to me. Not overstocked. One thing I would change is the bristlenose pleco. They like quite cool water. You could swap it for a clown pleco which would be more temperature compatible with your other fish. The Siamese algae eaters need 68-78f with their ideal being around 72-75f so they are probably not the best tankmates either. If you do go for them though get a bigger group than 4.

I would up the schools some more and do something like this
5-7 Discus
15 Cardinal tetras
15 Rummynoses
15 Emperor tetras
10-15 Yoyo loaches
1 Clown pleco
7 nerite snails (excellent algae eaters)

Lucyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Stock looks pretty good to me. Not overstocked. One thing I would change is the bristlenose pleco. They like quite cool water. You could swap it for a clown pleco which would be more temperature compatible with your other fish. The Siamese algae eaters need 68-78f with their ideal being around 72-75f so they are probably not the best tankmates either. If you do go for them though get a bigger group than 4.

I would up the schools some more and do something like this
5-7 Discus
15 Cardinal tetras
15 Rummynoses
15 Emperor tetras
10-15 Yoyo loaches
1 Clown pleco
7 nerite snails (excellent algae eaters)
Thank you for your input! I just see a few problems personally, the yo-yos would devour the snails right? I had a huge snail problem and that’s why I got the yo-yos and they were all gone within a month. I realize it probably isn’t ideal for the Pleco or Flying Foxes to be at the temperature, but I have quite a bit of aeration, I think it’ll workout considering I think everything’s from South America here other than the SAE’s if I’m not mistaken. It’s around usually 84 degrees, so not too high on the spectrum. After QT I haven’t witnessed a single death so, so far so good. To add on, the reason I feel confident with my choices is because I’ve seen it done long term with different people, I was just hoping it didn’t sound overstocked.

Dray

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would not recommend Siamese algae eaters. Otocinclus are tiny but they'll do a better job and they won't eat slimecoat off your other fish when they grow up. I've kept Yoyos with snails successfully before--but they do need to be large

Lucyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would not recommend Siamese algae eaters. Otocinclus are tiny but they'll do a better job and they won't eat slimecoat off your other fish when they grow up. I've kept Yoyo's with snails successfully before--but they do need to be large
Yeah, I guess there's inconsistency with both Oto's, and Siamese Algae Eaters with behavior. I might just drop them and up the count on my already inhabited schooling fish like Bottom Dweller said. Any other recommendations that are hard to go wrong for hair like algae?

Lucyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I personally haven't kept yoyos but I wouldn't have thought they would eat adult nerite snails. They would certainly eat bladder snails or young ramshorns though. My dojo loaches are fine with nerites though they eat small bladder snails.
Well, it doesn't help that invertebrates are illegal in my State lol, so I'd have to go to New Hampshire and pick up some which is probably not worth it for a number of reasons. If you take a look at this thread here: Bristlenose plecos? [Archive] - SimplyDiscus a person claimed to have pulled off having Bristle Nose's at 90 degrees! Others say they've kept them just fine at my temp being 84F. But other people weren't so successful, I have lots of surface disturbance and a large surface area of air stones, so I feel I'll be successful, but of course if I see lots of labored breathing I'll drop him off in my 55 at 78F. A lot of people say Emperor Tetra's and Rummy's can't handle temps this high, but they've been doing nothing but thriving from what I can see in my tank

Last edited:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom