125g: Goldfish Or Tropical Planted? Question

1. Leafray Member Member

Hey guys!
    I am so excited about this. I just bought a whole 125g set up, complete with 55g sump, oak stand and canopy, bunch of filters, BUNCH of heaters, tons of fake plants and a huge amount of gravel for $100!

Now I'm in the process of cleaning and bleaching everything, but I was thinking of stocking the tank..

So, I have two main ideas of stocking the tank, one is to get three or four very high quality goldfish (can't decide on orandas, ranchus, or ryukins- HELP ME DECIDE) and a group of weather loaches (love em!). Or two, a planted tropical tank with a group of 40 neons, an angelfish or two, some corydoras and maybe a Pair of rams.

I could REALLY use some help on deciding which route to go, as well as any tips to either of the setups I was considering. (Which one should I do? Should the goldfish tank be bare bottomed? What other fish can I add if I wanted to do a planted? Etc).

Thanks in advance!

Ps- if anyone wants to see pictures, I can upload some.

2. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

I think the tropical planted would look amazing!!! Goldfish would also look amazing!!! So hard to choose.:nailbiting: Tropical planted would look natural but a goldfish tank would look unique! If it was mine I would do a tropical planted but it is really what you desire.

3. goplecos Well Known Member Member

I would do a tropical planted tank a school of 40 neons is amazing, I just can't do it because I love lots of different fish in my tanks. Or what you could do is do 10 Neon Tetras, 10 Black Neon Tetras, 10 Gold Neon Tetras, and 10 Penguin Tetras, or something like that, and they will all school together

4. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I vote planted

5. Over It Well Known Member Member

Goldfish! I love both ideas, but I will never be without a Goldfish tank again. They are amazing fish IMO.

If you do Goldfish I think bare bottom is the way to go. So much easier to keep clean. You can also add a few river rocks so it doesn't look so "empty".
    Here's a pic of my setup. It's pretty small compared to yours, but it might give you some ideas. I have live plants in the pots.
    87cb7f1a4c1032a1fa029dd9892f55d0.jpg

6. Leafray Member Member

That sounds amazing! But where can I find black neons?...

That looks amazing! I love goldfish because they have so much personality. It's like having swimming dogs.

7. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would go with goldfish, I absolutely love them. Beautiful with unique personalities. Mine are very tame. It's pretty easy to teach goldfish and dojos to eat from your hand.
    I would go with sand. The dojos will really appreciate it, the goldfish like to sift through it and it's not hard to keep clean.
    Having a couple of huge fish looks better IMO than having a tank filled with loads of little fish.

8. Leafray Member Member

9. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

How about black diamond blasting sand? It is pretty cheap and because it's black the (huge amount of) poop won't show up very well.

10. Dandelion-Dream Member Member

It would be cool if you did a fancy goldfish (or just one comet/common) tank! It would be easier to maintain, since goldies are normally hardier.

11. Leafray Member Member

That's the problem with sand and high quality goldfish. They don't take nitrates well and accumulation of waste Leeds to high nitrates..

And if I do a planted setup, how much would I look at spending? (An estimate)

12. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

You'll be spending quite a bit. BUT this dependence on if you want instant gratification or you're willing to be patient and have your set of plants grow out and propagate for you to use again. For example, on my 55g, I spent about $50ish at first (not Including shipping) on plants (I got like one of each that I wanted) and it was a really bare tank. But a few months in, with lots of TLC, and I got a lot or propagation to work with and really upped the planted look. On the flip side, if you are my uncle who has way more than me to spend at a time and is really impatient, he spent a couple of hundred of dollars (I believe almost $300-400 at once) to heavily plant his 90g. So it really depends on what you how patient you are :)

Oh, and for a good planted tank and at your size, the substrate can get quite expensive depending on what you use.

13. goplecos Well Known Member Member

You can find all sorts of neons

14. Leafray Member Member

Wow... I have about 100lbs of eco complete substrate from hoarding my substrate. (Haha I guess it'll come in handy), and I have a few large pieces of driftwood, and a few plants in handy. So I guess the main money would be spent on a co2 system and fertz. How much ferts would we need to dose a tank this big? And is a hairgrass carpet achievable for a 6 foot tank?

15. Over It Well Known Member Member

Thank you! Exactly! I love my Goldfish, I've had Bettas and lots of live bearers and some Tetras over the years, but nothing beats these 2. They are so friendly and smart it's amazing. I love them as much as my dogs.

16. KinsKicks Well Known Member Member

Wow a whole hairgrass carpet for 6 feet? That would be awesome! Anyways...As for the CO2 system, it doesn't cost me too much as I made a DIY one from the King of DIY. As for ferts, you'll be investing a bit to get it going, but it really depends on what you want to grow, but you will need quite a bit to provide the trace minerals and root tabs (which you can DIY better ones) for all of the plants (although the hairgrass will do splendid in EcoComplete and CO2 by itself). Honestly, the CO2 system has done most of the growing for me (as I wasn't too aware of root tabs and such when I first started) and I got/have lots of pretty growth from using it.

17. Leafray Member Member

I've kept mainly goldfish and guppies, along with other tropical fish. Guppies seem to get sick sooo easily, that's why I've decided to lean to either other tropical or goldfish. I love how they interact with people and each outlier and they are just great fish.

18. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Planted tanks are actually not that expensive. The trick is to be patient. You can spend upwards of 500 dollars if you want a big tank planted immediately. Or you could buy less fast growing plants and wait. I bought a plant pack from a seller on amazon seller called Aquatic Discounts they have a lot of good plant packs. You could buy lots of smaller ones and get more variety, or you could get 1 or 2 big ones.

If you get cheap fast growing plants you don't have to worry about a special substrate. Mine do fine in gravel with a little extra API fertilizer.

19. Leafray Member Member

Thanks for all that info. Is it achievable to carpet a 6 footer? If so, how long would I have to wait to see it? A year? 6 months?

All my lfs carries are neons, cardinals, and diamond neons.

20. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

I would do a tropical Tetra Tank and have
    30 Neon Tetras
    30 Black Neon Tetras
    30 Glowlight Tetras
    20 Bronze Cories
    5 Bolivian Rams or 5 Dwarf Flag Cichlids
    3 Angelfish