125g final fish stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by llfish, Jul 30, 2015.

1. llfish

llfish Well Known Member Member

Hey there I think I have come up with my final stocking for my 125, like I said in an earlier post I have some that I am moving out of my 55g. Please let me know if it looks of and if all will work together or if I am over and under stocked I will be grabbing a few this weekend.

12 - Corys (6 Bronze, 6 Sterbas)mayyybe more?
    1 - bolivian Ram (stock from 55g)
    1- Lyrtail Swordtail (stock from 55g)
    5-7 dension barbs (stock from 55)
    6-10 gold barbs or lemon tetras for a nice yellow splash
    1 Apisto (ill see which I can get my hands on)
    1- Either a pearl gourami or a Dwarf Gourami (Will both work or a group of one kind or singly?)
    2-4 Angelfish (Currently have 2 about 3 inches would it be safe to add 2 small dime size?
    1 Bristlenose ( Stock from 55)
    6-9 Bleeding hearts ( have 3 current stock)

A couple I am not sure will work are RUmmynose tetras (School of 10-20?) will they become angelfish food, I would put them in there first and after a month introduce my large angels? Also I love German blue rams....however with a bolivian and an apisto will this work? do I have too many schooler groups?

2. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

Have heard barbs tend to like to chew on long fined fish. If your Dension barbs were ok with your Angles in your old tank hopefully wont be an issue with your larger tank.

I'm not the best on species compatibility. Do know you will love your corys....

3. OP
    OP
    llfish

The densions have been with my angels for about 9 months no issues so far but I know they will enjoy the 125g for room as compared to the 55g they are in now. I love Corys entertaining little fellas.
    My husband is really wanting pictus catfish (Pimelodus pictus) I and weary because I know they once full grown will enjoy small fish as a snack. Any thought on these guys?
    As well more thoughts on mixing apistos, bolivians and GBR?
    Mixing Gouramis or dwarf gourami in schools?
    As well advice on tiny angel with big angels?

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Pictus cats are a schooling fish and would need a group of 6+. And they are extremely active.
    Having dwarf gouramis in schools can work but I wouldn't do it in this tank. I would stick to pearl gouramis, which are social.
    Mixing the GBRs, apistos, and bolivian rams should be fine in this size tank.

5. OP
    OP
    llfish

Sweet thank you;) If I do the I will do a school of 6...should I touch up my stock to fit them in in any way?

6. Anders247

No problem!
    I should think they'd be OK in that size tank with that stock. JMO.

7. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't do pictus cats with angels. Their extremely active and that will bother your angels.

8. Anders247

I have heard that on here, but there was a member on here who had them together and it was fine. Perhaps it'd be better to follow what you said though.

9. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

The problem is people see their tanks with the lights on, in a lit room and think everything is fine. Once the lights go out and the room gets dark everything changes.

10. OP
    OP
    llfish

hmmmm, the angels might be to slow moving I know my densions are very active and sometimes the angels get a tad agitated hence why I am transferring them all to a 125g in hopes that the densions have more room to play and the angels have more space to chill..if that makes any sense! Maybe ill skip the pictus. any other bottom fellas with the corys? I guess the rams and apisto will occupy the same niche. and angels, gourami are top and schools are mid ....I think.

11. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Pictus are absolutely spastic. Crazy little fish, best kept by themselves. I don't think anything in your tank would like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. OP
    OP
    llfish

Maybe I will save them for when I have the urge to go with fish that are active and nuts lol

I might just up my corys from 12-20, I looooovvve clown loaches but I don't think I want that large of fish full grown, any other peaceful loaches that would work well with the fish I have?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  13. Anders247

Kuhli loaches would work, they need a group of 6+.

14. OP
    OP
    llfish

What about a type of rainbow fish? Threadfins, Austrailian , Praecox, bosemanis and turquoise are common at the stores I go to? Maybe more than one type?
    As well, I seriously don't know if I can add more angels than the 2 I have like I said they are about 3 inches paired and spawning steady, they have beat up a lot of my fishies too! My hubby is making a stand so that the bottom of it fits a 29 gallon the bigger angels might be getting a tank to themselves. Does anyone have experience adding small angels with large ones? Do you guys think if I get the small ones in there first then in about 3 weeks add the bigger ones that they will be less aggressive?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  15. Anders247

I wouldn't do the threadfins but the others would work, and they need groups of 6+ of their own species....

16. c

csatcher New Member Member

I recently added 2 quarter sized angelfish to a tank that had 2 half dollar sized angelfish and have had no problems. When I brought home the new angels I took the original 2 out of their tank and rearranged everything and added in some new decor so their "territory" wasn't the same anymore. I put them back in at the same time as I added in the new angels and have had 0 problems.

17. OP
    OP
    llfish

That sounds like a good plan I might get a couple smaller angels and start them off in my 125g first then move over the larger pair.

I am still trying to decide if I should get a spotted red severum, in this mix. Either instead of the 2 new angels or along with. I will stay clear of small fish if I do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice