125g Clown Loach Restocking Gameplan

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was just looking through some of the pics from last year. This is the lone survivor clown Loach from the LFS (two others I bought with her died a day and a half after purchase). I think she's a female as she and another Loach from the liveaquaria trio are so much bigger than the other two.

She's gotten longer and taller:
IMG_20180426_175241.jpg

Just took this a few mins ago:

MVIMG_20190414_205236.jpg

Edit:
So looking at that, I'm not so sure that's her. The top pic is definitely the.lone survivor Loach. Now, I'm thinking this might be the fish. Just took this now:
MVIMG_20190414_210150.jpg

Edit:
It makes it easier to compare so I uploaded the trios liveaquaria pic as I'm now curious if I've misidentified that one.
lg-0426182-092t.jpg

So looking at it, I think the bottom Loach in the trip is the fish above.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What's your current stocking now? I was playing with ideas and I think my final stocking may be a bit too heavy with rainbows. After adding my 9 "australian" rainbows and the 2 surviving reds, (thanks to my daughter who may get her name changed to Elvira,) I'm thinking a 3 schools of 10 each of reds, turquoise, and Murray river with my denison barbs may be too busy of a tank. I am loving the rich golds on my reds, cant wait until my lfs gets more in!

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I haven't really been active on the forums. I've been frustrated with various issues earlier in the month. First, I thought the QT tank might have been developing ich right before I left on a trip, but it turned out to be nothing. That same time, this female Praecox rainbowfish developed a prolapse. I treated it with epson salt and separated her to the fry tank, which saved her life as I caught the rummynose biting at the prolapse and she would have died from that if I had left her in the tank. I still have her in isolation as the prolapse has come and gone several times. Worse case, I'll just keep her in that tank but I'm thinking that she might be fine in the big tank eventually as there is enough room that maybe fish wouldn't pick at it. I haven't seen it happen in a few days so I'm hopeful.

Also, I the driftwood broke in my display tank and I noticed several fish scratched themselves. Well, first it was a Dority rainbowfish and then when that was about healed, another rainbow scraped himself. I have since moved a plastic plant so it blocks the possibly sharp parts of the driftwood.

Mama loach cave:
I had to take out her favorite cave bc she got to small and showed several scratches on her from squeezing into that cave. I bought a PVC pipe that is probably too big but the fish swim through it so it's not a total waste. Her scratches healed and I suppose my cave system is working as she's out a lot more when the tank lights are on.

Fry:

I moved the fry to the 10 gallon tank that still have 5 praecox rainbows and 11 rummynose tetra. This was a good move as the fry seems to be healthier in this setup (I suspect because there's more food in algae on the tank and leftovers from the the other fish eating). The fry looked really skinny when I first moved her in but she seems to be growing better now.

Dead fish two days ago:
I lost another female "Deep Water Creek" rainbowfish. I guess I'm lucky that it wasn't any of my clown loaches or any of the other rainbowfish that I like better. I think it was b/c the python end snaked around in the tank when I shut off the water and turned it back on during a fill. I saw her in the corner where the tube got knocked over. After that, I saw her swimming near the top of the water during the rest of the water change and even after. I wasn't surprised when I saw her dead the next day. I suspect internal injuries.

I think this happened because I was used to the full driftwood securing the tube when I filled. Now, I'll be more careful and make sure the lip keeps the tube secured when I'm filling. It sucks to lose fish to dumb accidents like this but I guess I can be happy it wasn't my big loaches and hopefully I'll learn and prevent anything from happening like this again.

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wraithen said:
What's your current stocking now? I was playing with ideas and I think my final stocking may be a bit too heavy with rainbows. After adding my 9 "australian" rainbows and the 2 surviving reds, (thanks to my daughter who may get her name changed to Elvira,) I'm thinking a 3 schools of 10 each of reds, turquoise, and Murray river with my denison barbs may be too busy of a tank. I am loving the rich golds on my reds, cant wait until my lfs gets more in!
Sorry for the late reply. As I said in the update I just posted, I haven't been active on here.

I think as long as you're able to do enough water changes to keep the nitrates in check, you're probably fine, but I can see what you're saying about the tank possibly being crowded. I think I could add even more fish to my tank but at times it looks too busy in my tank when the fish are gathered in one area. When they spread out, it doesn't seem as full.

Here's the current stock, with the rainbow that just died by accident accounted for:
125g:
1XArod the Hypostomus Pleco
7XClown loaches (the original "Mama" & "Baby" loach 22+years old, the adopted "Cousin Al" loach, the 3 from LIveaquaria, and the 1 lone survivor loach (who's the 3rd biggest fish now)
5xpanda garra (I love these guys and might get more even if I don't get my tank upgrade yet. Five more wouldn't add that much bioload and wouldn't interfere with the other fish really and would help eat more algae)
3XMillenium rainbowfish (the 1 male with the messed up eye, and the females that are greenish/brown)
4XAlbino Millenium rainbowfish (the 1 orange male and the 3 females)
4XM. Splendida "Deep Water Creek" (2 males, 2 females. I had 2 more females, but one died when it got stuck in the opening of the pot, and the other just died a few days ago, I think from the python hitting her by accident)
5XDority Rainbowfish (4 males, 1 female. These are the 5 I got from Liveaquaria last year with the 3 clown loaches order. The males have great color, especially right before the lights are set to turn off)

Panda garra and rainbowfish are from Imperial Tropicals (except for the just mentioned Dority's)

In the QT tank:
11x rummynose tetra (Hemigrammus rhodostomus from Imperial Tropicals. One died from eating too big of a piece of Canadian Mysis Shrimp)
6X Praecox rainbowfish (Well, 1 is in it's own tank as noted in my previous post b/c it has on and off prolapse problem. 3 males, 3 females)
1X mystery Rainbowfish fry (This was the one I discovered in the QT Tank that I setup for the adopted loach. It must have hatched from an egg on the sponge filter I moved over from the main tank when I setup up the QT tank)

I'll probably just keep these fish in the 10 gallon until the fry is big enough to get moved the main tank. I just wonder if the rummynose were a mistake as I'm not sure how well they are going to compete with the bigger fish in the tank but I guess I see food settle on the lava rock and plants so they'll probably figure it out.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bio load looks similar to what I've got now with 19 rainbows (10 reds and 9 australians), 5 survivor bloodfin tetras, 7 denison barbs, (roseline sharks) 3 African butterfly cichlids, 1 African butterfly fish, 13 otocinclus, and 10 kuhli loaches (that I feel bad for now that I never see them since the rainbows are so active.) I'm trying to keep algae in check with 5 nerites, the otos, and 20 amano shrimp.

I lost my anaerobic bacteria somehow so I'm wrestling nitrates while trying to keep my fertilizers up enough. My source water has silicates now so that's been a bit of a nightmare.

With these big stockings you're bound to run into some problems here and there. You do way more maintenance than most so dont feel too bad. I'm trying to get my tank back to monthly water changes but the nitrates are keeping that a pipe dream for now. I think when the qt is over you should try and get a tank shot. Its impressive what you're able to do!

I'd c

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Took this today. Couldn't line them up any better if I were trying to do so.

MVIMG_20190602_153322.jpg

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cardeater said:
Took this today. Couldn't line them up any better if I were trying to do so.

MVIMG_20190602_153322.jpg
What rainbow is that? One of my reds is that color. One of them also is trying to be neon yellow.

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wraithen said:
What rainbow is that? One of my reds is that color. One of them also is trying to be neon yellow.
That's a female albino millennium. The regular females are greenish brown.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hiw are you enjoying the tank?

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wraithen said:
Hiw are you enjoying the tank?
Hey. I saw this the other day and was gonna report that everything was fine. It was for the most part except for an albino millennium female getting stuck but she ended up being fine.

The smallest rummynose tetra just died today. I noticed it while I refilling the quarantine tank. Not sure if she was already dead or got killed during the fill. There was the plastic piece of the base of a plant that may have contributed so I threw that out.

I guess I'm glad it wasn't the fry that I raised up since December that died.

I probably should move all the fish to the main tank but i figured I'd keep them in the QT tank till I got more fish.

The female millennium got stuck between the glass and a powerhead a few weeks ago but she was fine as soon as I got her out.

MVIMG_20190709_012008.jpg

Main tank is fine except rainbows occasionally scraping themselves. I think it's from their mating sparring but I keep the water clean so they are fine.

Whats new with your tanks?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cardeater said:
Hey. I saw this the other day and was gonna report that everything was fine. It was for the most part except for an albino millennium female getting stuck but she ended up being fine.

The smallest rummynose tetra just died today. I noticed it while I refilling the quarantine tank. Not sure if she was already dead or got killed during the fill. There was the plastic piece of the base of a plant that may have contributed so I threw that out.

I guess I'm glad it wasn't the fry that I raised up since December that died.

I probably should move all the fish to the main tank but i figured I'd keep them in the QT tank till I got more fish.

The female millennium got stuck between the glass and a powerhead a few weeks ago but she was fine as soon as I got her out.

MVIMG_20190709_012008.jpg

Main tank is fine except rainbows occasionally scraping themselves. I think it's from their mating sparring but I keep the water clean so they are fine.

Whats new with your tanks?
Nothing new with my tanks other than new plants. I've got my co2 dialed in for the most part and my 10 reds and 10 australian rainbows are doing well. Everything is just chugging along nicely. Somehow even my 5 bloodfin tetras are doing well. I've been getting an itch so I've kicked around the idea of getting a grown chocolate cichlid but I doubt I'll do it.

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. Been lazy about saving for the new tank so I don't plan on ordering until at least next year at the soonest.

I probably will more the current crew to big tank but I'm debating waiting until Black Friday for Imperial Tropicals big sale (though I'll have to pay next day shipping instead of the $9.99 priority when it's warm out ).

They have some new rainbows but I haven't decided how many more I want to fit in current tank.

I probably could get 5 more panda garra and maybe 6 more rummynose since I've lost two. Ive been pondering getting cherry Barb's that could either just stay in the 10 gallon or go into the main tank eventually.

Glad everything is going well with your setup.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom