125 regular tank or 120 sump

llfish

Good day
My husband and I are trying to decide which tank to get to upgrade our 75 gallon saltwater. We are deciding between a regular 125 g tempered glass 6 foot tank. Or a 4 foot glass tank that is pre drilled for a sump. With the 6 foot we would run a hob skimmer etc. I have never used a sump and a little scared. Which would you use. We have 130 pounds of live rock and about 6 coral frags nothing major most of put fishies stay 2-4 inches

bribo

Definitely the drilled tank for the sump it will make life easier. Sumps add extra water volume and will hide all your equipment. Not to mention you can use it for a refugium if you want. Sumps really aren't that difficult and I'm assuming the drilled tank probably comes with the overflow kit which is nice.

Aquarist

Good morning,

First, I'm not a salt tank keeper. All of my tanks are freshwater. Something you may want to consider is the larger foot print of the 125g tank and what additional stock, if any, that you would like to add. The longer tank may give you more options.

Ken

ryanr

Hi, I agree with Ken - go the 6 foot, especially in SW. Fish love to swim

You can always drill a tank - mostly the tempered glass is the base, the sides are typically standard glass, and thicker than the base.

If you're unsure, get a professional to drill it, but I would definitely go the longer tank.

llfish

He might be able to get me in a 6 foot pre drilled. My husband is leaning towards the 4 foot so we do not have to upgrade our lights. We are loving the idea of the sump it will clean up the display nicely

crabbydan

I just purchased a set up with a sump. I am finding I do not have much room to keep all the equipment under there and be comfortable during routine maintenance to work inside a small cabinet. I like the idea of hiding everything down below. But I still have equipment Hanging over the back for easy access and what will not fit in my stand. I guess where I am going with this is imagine what you need to do weekly and monthly and how you will do/reach it then compare that to how it looks and go with it. I will agree with the others the bigger the better!

bribo

I also like the 120 because it is 2 feet wide compared to the 125 that is only 18 ". Gives you more depth to play with on aquascaping. You should be able to fit a nice sump under there as well with it being wide.

llfish

So in the sump...you have a pump, protein skimmer, heater....media socks/filter sock thingys <.<? Would I put a UV sterilizer in there too? I don't have one we are thinking of adding one..would this kill off my corepod populations and what not? I have a mandarin currently and am worried about that.

bribo

Yes it would probably wipe most of them out, I wouldn't add it. In my opinion they are kind of unnecessary for saltwater tanks especially since you have the mandarin.

Reefdweller

Length is always better than width. A sump is always better than a HOB. Fish need to swim and not in circles but more in laps. I recommend a sump with freshwater and saltwater setups. I just think they are overall a good choice for the long run. I have not had a HOB filter in so many years I can't remember. I never ever lose a fish (knock on wood). I am not anal about my water parameters or do any water changes on a routine or schedule basis. If you get a large enough sump you can add all of your components to it even adding biological components in there to take the place of a canister filter. I just went from a 75 which was 4 foot long to a 280 which is 8 feet long. I would not recommend drilling your own tank if you have never done it before. I am pretty handy but I am not sure I would take on that task on a brand new tank. If something goes wrong with the drill - you are stuck with the tank. A tank that may have semI holes in the bottom or may not but nevertheless a useless tank.

bribo

Personally I disagree that length is always better than width. In marine systems many smaller fish that we keep are rock dwelling species that never venture far from their home or grazers that pick at rock all day. Fish like mandarins, blennies, clowns, pseudochromis, gobies, some wrasses, small angels would all benefit from a 4 foot wider tank that allows for more front to back aquascaping. However fish like tangs and large angels do need a longer tank as they do love to swim. That is not to say certain tang species could not be kept in a 120 it definitely offers enough room for some of the smaller ones.

llfish

I agree with all your points! That is why I am so torn, I love the idea of a 6 foot long with sump, however aquascaping it would be great to have the 4 foot 24 inch wide. I was told if your going to focus on corals the 4 foot 120 gallon would be better, if you want to focus on fish the 6 foot 125g is better. Either way I think we shall do the sump. My husband likes the 120 gallon 4 foot..so that we can reuse light as well as do better aquascaping instead of basically one wall of rock. I love the look of the 6 foot and I know the fish would love it. ATm my light is 4 bulb t5...I don't think its good enough! But we don't want to upgrade it yet because it is only 4 months old.
In the 4 foot one I have now my fish seem to only use one half the tank though no one swims! My lyrtail anthias seems to be the only one to utilize the entire tank.

We will probably skip the UV sterilizer then I don't want to kill the good stuff

bribo

What light fixture is it exactly? I assume the bulbs are 54 watts right? It is probably fine for softies and maybe for lps. I think you will be happy with either tank but now you just have to ask yourself what kind of fish you want and which tank would suit them better.

llfish

yes I have 4 54 watts. My current stock is 2 clowns, a yellow tang, a bangaiI cardinal, a lawnmower blenny, I female Anthias (getting 3 more), a firefish, a 6 line wrasse , a green mandarin, 5 green chromis (will be adding 5 black bar chromis after upgrade) and perhaps add a watchman or sleeper goby later as well, so with this stock I'm not sure. I would love 6-8 bulb lighting but it will have to wait

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Paul Russell
Replies
Views
Thraciandrummer
Replies
Views
1971roadrunner
Replies
Views