125 Litre/33 gallon Stocking.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rams and gourami tend to be fine together. Its German Blue rams that like high temps, Bolivians like it cooler than them.

Though I prefer to recommend Honey gourami for most people. I think they are fantastic fish, and a nice group of them is very nice.
Not really relevant but I find it ironically confusing that it is the 'Germans' that like high temps and the 'Bolivian's that like it cool. Thanks for the info!

Honeys are great, indeed if OP would like more fish brightly coloured fish to fill the tank a little then instead of one pearl you could go with one or two pairs of (golden) honeys. Pearls are relatively peaceful though, a better option than the potentially nasty three-spot colour variations (blue marbled, golden, opaline, etc.) and also okay in this tank.

GabrielParker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Okay. What about 1 male and 2 female honey gourami and a pair of bolivian rams or just a 1 pearl gourami. Already have honeys In another tank wanting to upgrade them but not sure if this is the tank.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Okay. What about 1 male and 2 female honey gourami and a pair of bolivian rams or just a 1 pearl gourami. Already have honeys In another tank wanting to upgrade them but not sure if this is the tank.
That would work. Though I don't usually like to recommend pearls alone. Make sure to know what to look for in a male and female Bolivian. Pet store employees likely won't be able to pick out a pair for you. Its possible but ime they aren't incredibly reliable.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not really relevant but I find it ironically confusing that it is the 'Germans' that like high temps and the 'Bolivian's that like it cool. Thanks for the info!
It does sound pretty strange! Though imo they should really be called Orinoco rams. GBR come from the Orinoco river basin in South America. Either that or Venezuelan/Colombian ram.
Honeys are great, indeed if OP would like more fish brightly coloured fish to fill the tank a little then instead of one pearl you could go with one or two pairs of (golden) honeys. Pearls are relatively peaceful though, a better option than the potentially nasty three-spot colour variations (blue marbled, golden, opaline, etc.) and also okay in this tank.
My experience with pearls hasn't been great. Though my pearl is likely an outlier. Still soured them a bit for me!
Okay. I would only go for male platys or mollies. I'm now thinking either 3 honeys (1 male, 2 females) and a pair of bolivian rams or a pearl gourami.
Just realized I've been talking to you on another thread too! Either should be alright.

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That would work. Though I don't usually like to recommend pearls alone. Make sure to know what to look for in a male and female Bolivian. Pet store employees likely won't be able to pick out a pair for you. Its possible but ime they aren't incredibly reliable.
Yeah. Getting a female BR has been impossible for me. The song "Dude Looks Like a Lady" repeatedly blasts in my head as I stare at the tube of a BR for 15 minutes straight.

I love Pearl Gouramis. But maybe I just bought one that is territorial. He leaves every fish alone except for the other dwarf gourami (powder blue which had to be put in my other tank due to bullying by the PG).

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I love Pearl Gouramis. But maybe I just bought one that is territorial. He leaves every fish alone except for the other dwarf gourami (powder blue which had to be put in my other tank due to bullying by the PG).
That's how gourami tend to be with each other unfortunately. My pearl killed my female. Though they got on great before that. He was just always quite a bit more aggressive than her, and more aggressive than most people claim pearls to be. Hopefully mine was just an outlier in that regard.
Okay. Maybe a pair of pearls then. Ill have a look at the store if I can see any pairing behaviour.
Just be careful not to get two males. And take my experience into account. If you do it and they are getting aggressive it may be best to split. I believe some recommend bigger tanks for pearls. Though I know someone with them in a 29g, so maybe it would be fine.

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You could yes. Does the ph shift between those or is it just stable somewhere in that region?

Feohw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm not a stocking pro, but I'd say its a bit overstocked. I'd do one of the schooling fish (tetra/rasbora), and maybe do around 8. Then I'd recommend doing at least 6 corys. Personally I'd stick to either platys or mollies, I prefer to keep a bit of breathing room in case I miss a water change or something. My livebearers have always been pretty high waste-wise.

yinoma2001

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's how gourami tend to be with each other unfortunately. My pearl killed my female. Though they got on great before that. He was just always quite a bit more aggressive than her, and more aggressive than most people claim pearls to be. Hopefully mine was just an outlier in that regard.

Just be careful not to get two males. And take my experience into account. If you do it and they are getting aggressive it may be best to split. I believe some recommend bigger tanks for pearls. Though I know someone with them in a 29g, so maybe it would be fine.
And man, pearls get pretty big. Mine is at least 5 inches now. When we got ours it was about the same size as the powder blue gourami. But once the pearl got bigger, it started harassing the daylights out of the other gourami and I had to rehome it in another tank.

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't want to come across as rude but you've been told a couple of times that putting in that many different schooling/groups of fish occupying the same level in your tank is too much.
Obviously it is fine if you want to do it - you can do as you please, it is your tank after all. But you made this thread to ask for advice, and multiple people provide the same sort of advice, and then you proceed to ignore it. So either just do as you want and don't ask for confirmation, or just listen to those you ask for advice when they all agree, and reduce your stocking level.

Again, I don't want to come across as rude but don't ask for advice if you plan on ignoring anything you don't want to hear.

GabrielParker

Valued Member
Reaction score
OK. Not a pearl then.

Okay. I'll take that into account. Bit of a change I've been asked whether I can take any of the 6 swordtails that where in the tank before. I don't want any fry so could I just take one of the males. Would he be OK on his own and in a community tank.

Hello I'm gonna be picking up a fluval roma 125 litre today and Ive been asked If I want any of the swordtails she has. I don't want any fry so would 1 male swordtail be OK in a community tank with possibly tetras, harlequin rasbora, male platys, Cory's, honey gourami, khulie loaches and a molly or 2?
Would a pair of males be OK?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Several threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic.

GabrielParker

Valued Member
Reaction score
OK. After taking everyone's advice into mind and doing research I've changed quite alot.
My stocking...
8 harlequin rasbora
5-6 black phantom tetra
5-6 lemon tetra
5 cherry barb
3 male platys
1 red Robin gourami or a pair of honey gourami.
5-6 sterbai cory.

Wondering whether a group of 6 male cherry barbs could live peacefully with sterbai Cory's, honey gourami, harlequin rasbora, black phantom tetra and lemon tetra? Not sure if all males would be OK. If not I'll get 2 males and 4 females.

MrBryan723

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A bachelor school might be a bit nippy towards the rasboras. I would say 1 male with 5 females or perhaps 2 males with 5 females if you could.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom