125 GL set up questions

Redfishbluefish13

What do you guys think of the plan for my 125 gallon tank?

1 Red Tiger Oscar
1 Jack Dempsey
1 Delhezi Bechir
1 Rotkeil Severum OR Firemouth OR Blue Acara

125 gallon (72 X 22 X 18)
Filtration: Fluval FX4 and Aqua 110
Planning for 50% water change 1X a week with a Python (I will adjust based on readings)
Heater: 2 Fluval E300s
Substrate: Black Imagitarium Aquatic Sand
Decor: Piece of driftwood, cave

The only thing on this list that I currently own is the tank and stand so I’m open to making changes based on recommendations. I’d like to extend some of the fun by spacing out when I get the fish. I was thinking of starting with just the Bechir and a couple months later adding a juvenile severum/firemouth/Acara (whichever I decide on). Then waiting a couple months and adding a small juvenile Oscar and slightly larger juvenile Jack Dempsey together. Hoping that would help a little with the different growth rates of the two. Would that work? Also, do I need an air pump if I get the canister and do I need an algae scrubber? I’ve only ever used a HOB so the canister is going to be an adjustment. I read they are a pain to clean. Anything that makes upkeep easier? TIA

TClare

I am not 100% sure how well your proposed stocking will work, as some people say that an oscar needs a large tank on its own. But I have also seen them kept with other large cichlids and characins, apparently with no problems. Of your three more peaceful cichlid options I would probably go with the severum, but let it settle in before getting the more aggressive ones (as you suggest). I have no experience with bichirs.

As for your other questions, a canister is much easier than other types of filter, I don’t find them that difficult to clean and only clean them every about 4 months, unless the flow seems to be slowing. I use a sponge prefilter on the intake, which obviously does need cleaning more frequently, but protects the main filter from any sand that might get stirred up and possibly damage the pump. If you have a coarser gravel substrate its probably not so important but will still keep the canister cleaner for longer. You don’t need an air pump as depending how you position the outflow from the filter it should provide sufficient aeration, eg using a spray bar above the water level. I actually have the spray bar inside an additional top filter, but that may not be necessary. I use an algae cleaner, the type with a long handle and a sponge one side, scraper the other, but often aI find a kitchen sponge works better. I hate the magnetic type, too much risk of picking up,sand and scratching the tank, plus they never seem to work that well.

Redfishbluefish13

That’s all super helpful information. Thanks. I’ve seen a lot of differing opinions on the Oscar which makes things confusing. I guess some people would say I’m pushing it with 3 cichlids and some would say it’s totally fine. Im guessing the personality of the fish has a lot to do with it. I’m hoping staying on top of cleaning, water changes, and good filtration will help keep a happy tank. If I see aggression issues or feel the fish are getting cramped as they get older then I’m prepared to set up another 75 gallon tank to hold the culprit
Hopefully that’s a good solution to the conundrum of desperately wanting an Oscar but also wanting more than one non bottom dweller fish in the tank. Thanks for your help

TClare

Yes, with cichlids a lot will depend on the individual fish. I don't see anything wrong with trying this set up as long as you have a back-up plan and get the fish as small juveniles. Good luck and keep us posted!

Redfishbluefish13

Thanks

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Redfishbluefish13
  • Question
Replies
Views
Josh752
  • Question