125 gallon

Mistacliff

I’m about to set up a 125 gallon tank. I’m getting rid of my two 65 gallon tanks after battling with ich I’m just giving up the battle and surrendering my sick fish to my LFS. I figured I wanted a bigger tank anyway. Sand and gravel can be costly so I was wondering if I would be safe to take the sand out of the other two tanks. There is definitely ich in those tanks but it will be a month or two before I get the new 125 gallon tank to even start cycling. If the sand sits drying in the new tank for two months before being filled with water will the ich be gone?

WRWAquarium

I would of thought after 2 months it would be gone but not 100% sure.

you could put the sand in a large container and pour in very hot water. Over 70 degrees c kills most bacteria E. C. T

Brp933

Ich dies on it's own with no fish host to feed on. Just bring tank temp to about 80-85. Both the warm water and lack of a host should do the trick. I wouldn't worry about cleaning the gravel with anything other than tank water to save your cycled bacteria.

JtheFishMan

Ich dies on it's own with no fish host to feed on. Just bring tank temp to about 80-85. Both the warm water and lack of a host should do the trick. I wouldn't worry about cleaning the gravel with anything other than tank water to save your cycled bacteria.
Agreed.

Dennis57

Yes the ich will die off

Basil

I’m a bit confused. What do you mean by you’re surrendering your sick fish to your LFS? Do they offer euthanasia services?? :confused:

Brp933

I agree with Basil.
If the fish have ich, simply raising the tank temp to about 80°f and treating with anti parasite meds should work. I used imagitarium when i had to treat and it worked in less than a week. Panacure( i think thats what it's called) works too. Others on here might be able to help with dosing if you haven't surrendered the fish yet. If you have, don't let your sand dry out. Just let the tank cycle with the used sand to speed up your cycle and keep the tank up near 80°f. Best of luck too you.

Mistacliff

I agree with Basil.
If the fish have ich, simply raising the tank temp to about 80°f and treating with anti parasite meds should work. I used imagitarium when i had to treat and it worked in less than a week. Panacure( i think thats what it's called) works too. Others on here might be able to help with dosing if you haven't surrendered the fish yet. If you have, don't let your sand dry out. Just let the tank cycle with the used sand to speed up your cycle and keep the tank up near 80°f. Best of luck too you.
So the main issue is that I wanted a bigger tank anyway. My LFS was willing to take them, treat them, and resale them.
So now I have drained and cleaned the old tanks and I have the sand in some 5 gallon buckets. It will be a month or two before I am ready to fill the new tank. Will the sand get moldy in the buckets? Should I fill the buckets with water so it is fully submerged in water? Should I dump the sand into the new empty tank? But again will the sand mold in the new tank? Should I dry the sand and if so how?

Brp933

So the main issue is that I wanted a bigger tank anyway. My LFS was willing to take them, treat them, and resale them.
So now I have drained and cleaned the old tanks and I have the sand in some 5 gallon buckets. It will be a month or two before I am ready to fill the new tank. Will the sand get moldy in the buckets? Should I fill the buckets with water so it is fully submerged in water? Should I dump the sand into the new empty tank? But again will the sand mold in the new tank? Should I dry the sand and if so how?
I don't see the sand molding before it dries out. You should be fine, just turn the sand every so often to let it dry evenly.

Mistacliff

Thanks for everyone’s input and help.

Aguasfrescas

I agree with above poster on not worrying on sand getting moldy. I am a masonry apprentice and we frequently have large culverts of sand and buckets that we have to wet down periodically to keep workable. Never seen mold on it.
Also if it’s going to be a couple months let the sand dry out for ease of storage. But before you add it to the tank wet it thoroughly. We had a class on water retention properties of sand and you can turn 5 buckets of dry sand into 7 almost 8 buckets just by soaking it. This will make filling your tank much more difficult plus it will increase the volume of sand in the tank by up to 33%

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redfishbluefish13
  • Question
Replies
Views
JeremyW
Replies
Views
Eglassford
Replies