125 Gallon Tank Tips

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi guys. I just got a 125 gallon from petsmart at such a good price! Im going from a 40 gallon to a 125 gallon!!!

Anyways, could I get tips and advice as far as how many schools of small fish I can have that stay fairly small? Such as danios, glass catfish, harlequin rasboras, or any that stay a few inches.

I have a new 406 Fluval filter, I know I will need another one but what size would that one have to be and what kind to accompany the Fluval 406?

How many, what kind and what size of heaters work best?

How many air stones would be needed ? Is two enough? Where should I put them?

What plants are best that will cover a bunch of space without needed a bunch of plants ?

Any other advice or tips from big tank keepers? THANKS GUYS.

Also, what would make water changes easy?

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I use two of these and I have them connected to this controller that will shut off power if the temperature get past whatever temp I programmed in. This way, if a heater gets stuck on in the future, there's a failsafe preventing the tank from overheating. It also will soubd an alarm if temp gets too cold or hot.

I bought it as I discovered my two heaters have been dead for who knows how long. I bought it after watching Cory's review below.

I definitely like the display and that it's easy to adjust. I have an Aqueon for my QT tank and I get reminded by that tank how much more convenient the display is.

One annoying thing is if tank temperature heats up, it will display LF even though there's a powerhead next to it. I just ignore it.

Cory does believe what he posted as in his latest fish room tour, you see that he does have these in his tanks.

I have two but I think I probably should've just got one. (I also have a 125g).

Python water changes is a great buy. Get it from Amazon or aquacave.com will price match plus 10% additional off the price difference. I order what I can from aquacave ever since I discovered them and the price match policy. If you don't live in IL, you don't pay sales tax which you likely have to at Amazon (no difference for me in IL).

I'm so glad I finally got one of those python changers. I doubt I'd do as big or frequent of water changes if I still used buckets.

Stocking:
Ask texasdomer for tips but:

First, figure out what fish you really want and then base the other fish off that fish's temperature requirements. That's my advice.

For example, clown Loaches are my most important fish, so I've based everything else off of that.

Filter:
Additional Filter is whatever you like. You could get sponge filters if you want to go cheap. I like Aquaclear 110 hang on backs.

Cardeater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just have one airstone running a sponge filter. I travel a decent amount so I setup a backup. I bought the Penn Plax battery backup pump which will run off two D batteries if the power fails. This way the tank will still be aerated and there will be filtration going on as well.

This is the QT tank hose and pump but same idea. I have an extra regular battery pump that I can use for additional aeration if I'm home and/or if power is off for an extended time.

IMG_20180527_000543.jpg

I'm going to get a plant to cover up this sponge. I just like redundancy and after I decided to have an airstone after I saw that Cory recommends airstone in every tank (and I now agree with his logic) , I figured I might as well have it running a sponge filter for backup (and extra filtration but I don't really need the extra surface area).
IMG_20180527_000822.jpg

Oh, since you are interested in small fish schools, may I recommend you look into rummy nose tetra or emerald eye Rasbora. Those two fish are said to be tight schoolers (rummy nose for sure).

Esli

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you so much guys for your help!
I will definitely be looking into that!

Reaction score
You could try getting a few mystery snails to help keep algae out of the way. They do a great job at cleaning algae, and they can be pretty entertaining to watch go around the tank (At sometimes surprising speeds), and they would only be around 1-2 inches long when full grown. They are quite cheap too. On certain websites you can purchase certain kinds that you would normally not find in a pet store, like the blue varuation or the purple variation.

I would also like to add that you can not have copper in your tank.
It will kill all invertebrates, and most common goldfish food contains copper sulfate. In small amounts a snail would be fine, he just ate a huge goldfish flake a few days ago that contained a very tiny amount of copper sulfate, and he is perfectly fine. :;bananad2

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
125 would be so much fun.

Consider instead of many schools, a couple of really big ones. I think harlequins or glow light rasporas in numbers of 20-30 would be cool, another 20-30 cardinals and 20 corys.

Then 6-8 pearl gouramis.

Of course 3-4 Mystery snails and an equal number of nerites.

And a bristle nose pleco or 2.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom