125 gallon tank stocking ideas

1. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I won't have this tank until probably end of may early June but I want to plan all of this out now.

I will probably have 2 aquaclear 70s for filtration and how many watts for heating do I think it should have I want the tank temp to be a consistent 78 degrees.

I want it to be stocked with either cichlids including 1 Oscar or some type of community with bala sharks as the centerpiece fish. Any ideas on what else to put with the oscars or sharks are appreciated also if you have any different stocking ideas are are appreciated.

2. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

i dont know if a 125g is enough for bala's. They have the potential to reach massive sizes, and they need to school. My LFS has 6 of them fully grown in a 500 gallon display tank, and they cover the tank in no time. I wouldnt consider balas.

Seeing as you like the bigger fish:

1 Oscar
    1 Texas Cichlid
    1 other similar sized fish (Terrors not recommended)

Territories are the main concern here. Line-breaks and clear markers must be used.

I also wouldnt recommend HOB filters for these fish. They are rubbish at collecting debris and all these fish are big wasters. Consider a canister or sump filter here. The extra cost is noticable but believe me you will be glad in the end.

for a 125g, i would recommend 2 x 250W heaters as the best way to go :)

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

2 AC70's aren't even close to enough filtration....

4. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

agreed. No HOB filter will be efficient on a 125g

5. josh7 Well Known Member Member

How about a fluvial fx5 and a marineland penguin 350 is that okay for filtiration.

Also how about a stock list of

1 Oscar
    1 severum
    1 firemouth
    1 striped Raphael catfish or a featherfin catfish.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

That would be much better filtration. The HOB won't hurt, but just don't use cartridges in it.

I don't think the sev or firemouth are good tank mates for an oscar, but in a 125 maybe. The firemouth is just too small though, IMO.

7. josh7 Well Known Member Member

I will just drop the firemouth then how about a JD instead but for filtration I can only afford for now to something like a aquaclear 110 and a fluval u4 or a penguin 350 to go with it would this be sufficient for a while.

8. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

What about 5-6 Silver Dollars?

FX5 on my 125g. Great filter. Huge!

Heaters - I ran 2 300w until recently, 1 cracked and the other malfunctioned. Now I've got a 400w heater for backup but ordered 2 250w Jager heaters to be the replacements.

9. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay i like the fx5 it's just the price is pretty high for me but would the 2 filters I mentioned if ran together be efficient and could I just a do a stock of

1 tiger Oscar
    1 severum
    4 silver dollars
    1 striped raphael

10. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would keep looking for info about the sev fitting in there. I don't think many here have much experience with them. I've only had mine for a couple of months, but based on the research I did on them before I got mine (which did not include compatibility with an oscar), I would say no it's not a good candidate to share the tank with an oscar and a JD. Maybe someone will shed some light on this.

I would wait until you have the components you need to set up the tank. Of the 3 filters mentioned, the AC110 will get you the farthest. But equipment for big tanks can be expensive.

11. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Okay I have experience with secs in the past and they seem to be able to hold their own with most cichlids well I had 1 with a green terror and they lived for 8 years each in a 75 gallon until one day a house watcher killed them by using a dish with soap in it to add tank water. But anyway on almost all websites I have checked so far says that oscars and secs are compatible but I will do more research.

Also do you know anything about leporchonus I have heard oscars and them are compatible.

12. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you've kept one for 8 years then I would trust your instincts on the matter.

Nope, not more than what they look like :)

13. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Thank you for your help jaysee as always you help me a lot i was looking up leprochinus and saw they are compatible with oscars so I think I may do a stocking of

1 Oscar
    1 severum
    1 leprochinus
    1 striped Raphael catfish.

14. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I've only recently branched out into cichlids. The sev will be the largest I keep for a while.

A 125 is a good opportunity to get a nice sized pleco...

15. josh7 Well Known Member Member

Yah I know it's just plecs add so much to the bioload and I would rather get 3 large cichlid type fish and smaller bottom dweller than the pleco but I really do like those large common plecs.

16. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

The severum could work. Again territory must be marked out clearly! Personally o wouldnt do it, but thats just me

Firemouths wont work.

Well, if you go with a good filtration system, then the bioload wont be that much of an addition. When dealing with fish this size, yes they are messy and yes they are wasters, but theoretically with great filtration, bioload isnt a factor. A pleco would look great in a 125g.

I am not familiar with leprochinus...

To add to your idea, i think 2 big boys, one being an oscar and another a jack dempsey, severum or texas (etc) and 1 group of fish will look good. I like the idea of silver dollars, and if you dont like them, blood parrots are a consideration, and if you dont like them, there are 3 or 4 species of synodontis catfish i can think of.

Something like this in summary:

1 Oscar
    1 Other Cichlid you like (preferably CA)
    5-6 BPs / Dollars / Synodontis
    1 Pleco (personally i like the phantoms and the sailfins)

17. cameronpalte Member Member

I'll just reply on heaters. My 200 watt heater heats up my 55 in 12 hours~ and is pretty good at it, and I keep my thermometer on the other side of the acquarium, so I recommend around 500 watt in heater.

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree - the filtration you ought to have on a tank that big, with the fish you want, will have no trouble with a pleco.

19. iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

precisely...

The main consideration with fish this size on a tank that size is to reserve space and territory for each individual fish. Once this is established, that is your only stocking guide with what you are doing.

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

There are two considerations when stocking - bioload and swim space. Bioload has everything to do with the filtration, while swim space has to do with the size of the tank. You can always add filtration to handle any bioload, but filtration does not make up for a lack of swim space. Like was said, the issue will be space for territories.