I am probably getting the tank and stand for $200-$350
Fish- $100-$150
Driftwood- $?
Filter(s)-$?
Sand-$?
Smooth Stones- $10
Plants-$?
Heater-$?

I don't know how much these things I marked with a ? cost. I don't even know what's needed.... This is my first planted tank with driftwood. First tank over 40gal. Also first Freshwater Sand tank! What do I need for filter. How many pieces of driftwood. What heater. I always have bought kits that come with everything so this is my first true "custom" tank... any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I got my pool filter sand from a local hardware store for $8 per 50lbs bag. I just got some Black Diamond sand blasting sand for $8 per 50lbs bag at my local Tractor Supply Company (can also be found at some hardware stores). Either work just as well as actual aquarium sand, but are less than a quarter the cost. My plants liked the pool filter sand, as well.

Driftwood, I collected myself from local creeks, streams and lakes. I went hiking, found hardwood pieces I liked (don't pick up soft woods, like pine), then took them home and tried them in my tank (before I had it set up, obviously). Then, I hosed them down really well. For large pieces, you can always submerge them in a storage tub of hot HOT water.

Filter(s), I'd probably go with a couple of SunSun canister filters. One or two of these babies should work great:

Plants, it depends on what you want and how much you want. I'd figure out what lighting you are going to have, then research what plants work with the lighting you'll have. From there, we can help you more.

And for heaters, I'd either do inline heaters on your canister filters, or I'd do one heater at each end of the tank. You definitely want something with a thermostat on it.

wbudsanders

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HI there.

I can help on cost of driftwood, plants, and sand.

The route I went for sand (I have seen others mention it, maybe not correct, but I have no issues) is I simply went to the local hardware store and bought some #30 mesh sand. Even though it is sand, it will still have small amounts of silt and fine sands <100 mesh (sorry geotech engineer in me coming out). So I put it in a bucket and rinsed it thoroughly until all the fines are washed out and the water pours off clear. I think its like $3-5$ for a 50 pound bag.

Plants and driftwood varies. is a good place I have heard if you need/want to order offline. If anything, it can give you a rough estimate to plant costs. The link I put here is a thing they do where they group plants together as you can see.

The same site does driftwood. And they have basic manzanita (cheaper) and more exotic woods ($$$). Manzanita stump on the site (18"x9"x11") is 50 bucks, free sheepingFor the wood, I personally like to hold it in my hand and makes it easier to visual the piece in your tank. Price example, my LFS sells driftwood for I think $6-$7 a pound, and has huge bins and shelves full of random pieces to choose from.

Do you know if you plan to keep it low-tech or high-tech? (CO2 injection, lots of light, ferts etc?)

As bassbonediva said,once you can get us info like that, we can help you out a little more

OP
N

Nickdrummer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you all very much for the help! I'm so excited but costs are worrying me slightly... I can do like 600 and less for the whole set up.... Give or take 100 for fish because fish don't have to be purchased all at once? I can deal with specifics but can someone give me an estimated range of pricing from cheapest to most expensive and I will probably try to hit right around the middle! I really appreciate everything said so far it will help greatly! When I looked at the Sunsun canister filters I choked a little, but as long as my total bill is around 600 or 650 I should be fine, keep in mind I should be getting the tank and stand for 200-350 dollars and my grandparents are paying half of it so I'll be down from 100-175 for the tank
thanks!

bassbonediva

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you think the SunSuns are expensive...don't look at the higher end ones like the Fluvals and Eheims. You're looking at $200-400 each for those.

wbudsanders

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
See below for what kind of price I come up with. The first set of numbers doesn't include fish. I'm assuming tank set-up and cycle can allow you to save more for the fish during that time. Also, I'm not sure if the amount of plants and wood I guessed would fill up a 125 right off the bat. Again maybe in the time it takes to cycle, more can be added.

Tank/Stand$175
Sand (5 bags at $4 a bag)$25
Plants (36 low light bundle from website)$100
Filters (maybe ways around this?)$300
Wood (7.5 lbs?)$55
Heater $30
Light (assuming LED fixture I have, but bigger$130
Total$815

Filtration is what is really going to hurt on a tank this size. Granted, I haven't had one this size, so I am basing my numbers on my quick research and knowledge on ideal flow rates etc.

I know the 815 price tae isn't nice to see, so maybe someone else can pitch in.

OP
N

Nickdrummer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok thank you so much!!! Ok so the filters I need to figure out exactly what to do about that lol! Id like to keep filters at 150-170ish so ill have to think about what to do... If I did a HOB for a 75 gallon tank and I also did one canister filter would that work? Since I can't be 100% sure on tank pricing and what is included, I know I will already have led lights. I also don't know if the tank will have heater and filter included... It is gonna be from my fathers friend and he doesn't want it and since it is a friend I know it will be a good pricing deal but I am planning ahead so that regardless I can be ready when I do get it.

I'm hoping for something close to this,
but not black sand and less plants

I have a small 290 gph powerhead I could put in the tank if needed

amydeb

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a HOB and canister on my tank but it's a 75 gallon. It works. 2 Canisters might be better but like you, I was on a budget and the HOB came with my used tank. If you have a budget you absolutely have to stick to, I would spend on the most important things now, like filters and heaters. Anything else like more driftwood and additional plants can always be added later. I would definitely go with pool filter sand or Blasting sand. Adding root tabs to those will be much much cheaper than buying aquarium substrate for plants (that will eventually need root tabs anyway)

Unless you are planning on keeping very delicate fish, I doubt they will be bothered by later additions. I have added and changed around so many things since I got my tank, I swear my fish *expect* my hands in the tank now. lol

Good luck. We'd love to see your "final" (for now :) ) set up.

OP
N

Nickdrummer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It might be a few weeks but once I get the tank and know for sure what comes with it I will show you all the final tank thanks everyone for the help and advice!

OP
N

Nickdrummer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was wondering about doing that, but I've never had experience with sumps and I wouldn't know the first thing about them

guthrieb08

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
they are fairly simple once you understand the basics. Just make sure your overflow can handle more than your return pump can push back. For instance on my Saltwater tank my return is at about 250-300 gph and my over flow can handle 600 gph. (made it a lot higher so I can upgrade pumps in the future.)

I think it would be cheaper for you to do a sump and you can always get away with a DIY PVC overflow (what I use) to keep cost down or if its not tempered glass you can drill it out and add in an over flow box. You can pick up a used tank on Craigslist to make ur sump out of.

OP
N

Nickdrummer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So what size tank do I need like a 10 gallon? And what's an overflow box and how do I actually set it up? And do I still need a filter with it?

guthrieb08

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
you can run anysize tank. the bigger the tank the more filtration you can add. ive seen people use kitchen sponges in the sump as a filter and add in some places to add other things as well. you have no limits with a sump as far as filtration goes. that's why I use them. I would go with something along the lines of like a used 55 or 75 but if you are looking to keep it cheep run a 20 long to start.

over flow box explained

mikerox29

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A sump would be cheaper assuming you know what you are doing but coould end up being very costly if not done correctly. I would wait to see what comes with the set-up and go from there. I personally think1 canister and 1 HOB are definitely doable for that tank

But 2 canisters would definitely be better. But when money is tight you need to get by and not put yourself in a bad position financially

OP
N

Nickdrummer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, I am 16 and it will be my parents pretty much getting it for me but they are letting me put together everything if the total bill goes too far over 600 they could shoot it down lol anyhow, I gotta finish powerwashing/painting the deck and fence and then I'll probably get the tank and see what it comes with thanks for all the help!

Littlebudda

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bassbonediva said:
I wonder if building a sump would be cheaper...

I know sumps are usually recommended for larger tanks.
That's what I was thinking especially if your getting a new tank it would probably end up with a better setup for the same or lower price.

OP
N

Nickdrummer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If I got used filters is it safe to use those in my tank

New Threads