125 gallon stocking

Emy

I know this has been asked a million times but I need some help with stocking my new 125. It’s not set up yet but i’m looking At about 1,000gph in filtration and will have sand substrate. This will be a center piece in my house so I want lots of variety and activity. I want schooling fish and a few larger fish to stand out. I’m not Really into odd looking fish like dojo loaches and bichirs. I do like bala sharks but someone was saying 125 isnt really big enough for a school. I also like red tailed sharks but apparently They are a little more aggressive, limiting my stocking options. Pea puffers and the smaller barracuda species are pretty cool (don’t know much about them though). I’m not Looking for anything that is super difficult to care for either. I have considered cichlids but it seems like most of them limit my options to only cichlids.

Spudsssy

Wow plenty of options with 125gal.

Single Red tailed shark is perfect. Any aggression will be limited to his territory which would probably take up around 25gal of space.. just provide a cave.

Plenty of cichlid options. Group of blue Acara for example. Dwarf cichlids would be no problem.

Instead of cichlids you could keep a group of honey gourami's.

Pea puffers are a little small for 125gal... you might a trouble feeding them in a 125gal with other mid/top level fish. You could have large group of pea puffers and bottom dwellers like loaches or catfish for example (that would be amazing).

Best is to give examples of fish you like.... And then we can give suggestions.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

A tank full of some of the larger rainbowfish is an option you might like.

Upvote 0

Spudsssy

If you want an active tank I would do the following.

40 rummynose tetra's
20 Cory catfish
6 honey gourami's (1 male 5 females)
12 Amano shrimp
1 red tailed shark.
1 whiptail catfish

This covers all areas of tank and feeding types for a pretty balanced tank. Would suit lots of bogwood and plants.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Littlebudda
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mistacliff
  • Question
75 Gallon Tank 75 or 125 gallon stocking
Replies