125 gallon stocking revised edition

Mistacliff
I need basic ideas of what direction to go in. I’m leaning toward South America cichlids but I’m open to ideas . What should I stock the new 125 gallon tank with? I like the green severum, or green terror but not necessary.

Betta'sAnonymous
Mistacliff
The Oscar always seemed on the ugly side to me.‍
I’m not sure how well it would go together but what about
1 blood parrot
1 green severum
1 green terror
5 silver dollars
1 blue acara
And then I know people have said they would be too small in a 65 gallon but maybe with the extra space
5 gbr?
If not what else might go with this stocking? Or is this a terrible mix all together?
Also a geophagus

Betta'sAnonymous
Mistacliff said:
The Oscar always seemed on the ugly side to me.‍
I’m not sure how well it would go together but what about
1 blood parrot
1 green severum
1 green terror
5 silver dollars
1 blue acara
And then I know people have said they would be too small in a 65 gallon but maybe with the extra space
5 gbr?
If not what else might go with this stocking? Or is this a terrible mix all together?
Also a geophagus
I don't know near enough about cichlids to help you out too much. I just know for some reason i like oscars lol

Pfrozen
Seems like such a waste to do a few large cichlids in a tank like that, but we all have our own preferences. I would do a freshwater community personally. Maybe 18 scissortail rasboras, 30 palateus cory, 50 neons, 12 SAE, 12 pearl gourami, neocaridina shrimp, etc. Just as a quick example

Betta'sAnonymous
Pfrozen said:
Seems like such a waste to do a few large cichlids in a tank like that, but we all have our own preferences. I would do a freshwater community personally. Maybe 18 scissortail rasboras, 30 palateus cory, 50 neons, 12 SAE, 12 pearl gourami, neocaridina shrimp, etc. Just as a quick example
That would be more like something i would do. A community of some big schools. Or like 2 or 3 bluegill i caught.

Edited to add: as for the OP, i have heard blood parrots can be pretty agressive and silver dollars have a rep for being pretty not nice to plants...lol
Beyond that, i am clueless.

Mistacliff
I had considered more of a peaceful community tank but for me the point of getting a larger tank was to be able to keep some of the larger fish.
Others that have caught my eye are the jack dempsey and the convict cichlid.

Pfrozen
Cubans are a lot nicer than the convicts imo

Mistacliff
Asking earlier what people would do with a 125 gallon tank I realized that I need to follow what speaks to me, that being said one fish that I think looks amazing is the green terror. So what would be a good stock with it?

StinkyLoaf
Green terrors look amazing, but are aggressive and require individual territories in order for them to get along. Using decorations to define borders between territories can work. Expect your terror to reach a size of eight to ten inches when fully grown and eat like a pig

I keep my green terror with a redhump geophagus, which works fine, and two carpintis cichlids, which works a little less fine. Not a community fish by any means so you’re looking to stock with other aggressive fish of a similar size. Green terrors originate from the Amazon Basin and you must avoid stocking with cichlids from other regions.

Mistacliff
I hadn’t looked at carpintis before, they look amazing. I do want a fairly full tank.
what about blood parrots, blue acara, blue rams, green severum, silver dollar?
If the green terror is going to limit me to 3-4 fish total I may want to look elsewhere.
If that is the case, how would the carpintis do with some of those other fish?
I’m going for maximum variety without being overstocked with sa cichlids or fish that go well with sa cichlids.

StinkyLoaf
The full tank is not an option I’m afraid; cichlids like their space and they will fight for it. Rams are too small to be kept with green terrors successfully and the tank size doesn’t allow for silver dollars.

Unfortunately, carpintis are even worse. Central American cichlids like to fight other species of cichlids whereas South American cichlids will limit themselves to fighting their own species.

Also while I’m at it: no live plants with American Cichlids; they’ll uproot them when they dig.

Not all hope is lost! If you really want these cichlids then some stocking decisions and compromises will have to be made, but the result is rewarding. Add some driftwood which will soften the water and lower the pH level to what they like. Remember, this is not a community tank.

Here’s my terror:

EE76409D-2CE4-4A70-80A2-0F52EC1E772F.jpeg

A1D42495-F36D-4CF7-8F01-4A9D842D25CD.jpeg

Mistacliff
He looks sooo cool! I might need to do some hard thinking about the couple of fish.
How do you think the severum would do?

StinkyLoaf
Thanks! He’s a very interactive fish.

Could work, I’ve never kept severums but they grow to a similar size to green terrors and the tank is very large. I don’t know much about severums so maybe somebody else can comment on them for you.

Are there any other fish that might interest you or are you settled on the severums with the terror?

Mistacliff
StinkyLoaf said:
Thanks! He’s a very interactive fish.

Could work, I’ve never kept severums but they grow to a similar size to green terrors and the tank is very large. I don’t know much about severums so maybe somebody else can comment on them for you.

Are there any other fish that might interest you or are you settled on the severums with the terror?
I’m fairly open to ideas but I definitely want some kind of centerpiece fish. For me the point of the larger tank is to have more options of the centerpiece fish.

StinkyLoaf
The best bet is to get a group of a fish species and a single fish of another species that stands out on it’s own. The severums/terror combo will produce this feel.

TClare
StinkyLoaf said:
The best bet is to get a group of a fish species and a single fish of another species that stands out on it’s own. The severums/terror combo will produce this feel.
I think the above is a good idea, if you get them all as juveniles it should work out, you might have to move some of the severums later on, or maybe not. I also wonder if you could have a group of festivums. I am not sure if the GT would be too aggressive for them, but they do inhabit the higher water levels, so if you had plenty of structure, branches etc. It might work and would look good. I have never tried it though, often with cichlids you just have to try something and be prepared to move any if it doesn’t work out.

Mistacliff
I’m getting a 125 set up . I have put several posts up and received a lot of helpful advice, so to everyone who has already helped me, thanks.
I think I have finalized what I want in my tank.
1 blood parrot
1 green severum
2 blue acara
5 silver dollars
5 tapajos
1 green terror?
I know the terror is the most questionable part of this and I’m not sure if I will try it but the internet is telling me there is a chance. Each one has something somewhere that says it can be okay with the terror.
A big part of what I’m wondering about this stocking is, assuming the terror is mellow, would this be too many fish?
Or what if I abandon the terror and add a group of Bolivian rams like 5-6?

86 ssinit
I’d say the terror and next the parrot could be problems. Read up on both and be prepared to remove them if you have to. So have a backup tank ready to go and some extra media for it in the filter for the 125.

Mistacliff
If I went without the green terror do you think the tapajos and Bolivian rams would be okay? I think they tend to occupy the same space in a tank?

86 ssinit
Sorry I’ve never kept either.

Mistacliff
Alright you guys have won the battle on some of my first stocking ideas not working.
Here’s my latest rendition of what I’m thinking about.

1 green severum
1 jack dempsey
1 green terror
3 silver dollars
3-5 tapajos

I feel like these should work together from what I can gather. I feel like I want just a touch more of something. Maybe a firemouth? Possibly a Texas cichlid?
Also what about clown plecos? Or snails of some kind?

I’m getting real close to a decision on this, I appreciate everyone’s help with this.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom