125 gallon stocking ideas?

1. LapisLazuli Initiate Member

I'm planning on getting a 125 gallon tank of the summer my mother and I are going halfsies on it, I was wondering if anybody has some stocking ideas? I don't have anything specific in mind besides that I want it to be pretty and have live plants. also is there a way from preventing the water from getting too warm? I live in Arizona and it's generally very hot.

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Oh man that's a lot of space. That'll be a fun project. Definitely keep us posted on how things go. I will be watching.

You might wanna get some large pieces of driftwood, those will be good places for some plants to grow and fish/shrimp to hide in. Anubias spreads and grows like a bush when tied to driftwood. And Java moss also spreads across driftwood.

Good luck!

3. LapisLazuli Initiate Member

Any advice on a good website to buy prices of driftwood?

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I use Amazon because they have some decent options and I get free shipping because of prime, downside being you get a random piece and don't know exactly what it'll look like until you receive it.

I've never used this site but it looks like it has some very promising manzanita driftwood. For a decent price, it also provides measurements and photos for each piece so you know what you're getting. http://www.manzanita-driftwood.com I think those long branches would fit a large tank like yours well.

I've heard eBay also has driftwood but never used that.

There may be some more out there but I tend to use Amazon for a lot of my aquarium purchases and it has proved efficient and cost effective.

5. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

I'm officially jealous! Having a large tank like this, and turning it into a South America/Central American Cichlid tank is my ultimate fish tank dream! I'm not sure exactly how much space your tank provides for, or about compatibility for the fish I'm going to mention. But, I'd look into fish like Oscars, Jack Dempseys, Salvinis, Geophagus Jurapari (spelling?), Oaru, Acara, etc. I'd probably also research to see if there are any schooling fish that would go with these larger fish. I definitely don't have the answers needed to construct such a tank, but I'd absolutely do a bunch of research in a hurry if I were about to get such a tank!

I can't help with plants or your temperature concerns. I'm sorry.

6. Mom2some Well Known Member Member

That sounds like fun. But there are millions of stocking combinations. If you can provide some general direction (ex big/small fish, red/no red fish, etc) that would allow people to help better.

Welcome to the forum! Do you currently keep fish? If so - what?

7. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yeah you could put 1 or 2 huge fish in that or a bajillion little tiny fish. I'm assuming you want some small to medium sized fish so that you and your mom can both choose a decent amount of fish, but let us know!

8. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

A 125 gallon tank screams CA/SA Cichlid tank to me. I'd be looking into Uaru's, Chocolate's, and/or Oscar's if it were me. Or do a family of blood parrots. One of our moderators has a large tank full of them @Aquarist

I believe all of these like warm waters too so 80 degree water would be fine.

Tags: