125 Gallon South American Cichlid/Gourami Stocking

Arkodios

Short story: I had a 72 gallon, it leaked, we upgraded to a 125. Currently setting it up while fish are in a 20 gallon holding tank. I currently have 5 Angelfish, 2 Discus, 2 Pearl Gouramis, 1 Blue Gourami and 1 Gold Severum. I have some Corys too but I’m gonna leave them in the 20 gallon after we move the others. I heard the tank was overstocked so I’m trying to plan the new tank accordingly. I wanted some more Gouramis and I’ve heard that Discus like to be in groups of 5 or more. Would it be possible to have 3 more Discus, 2 more Pearl Gouramis, and 1 (or 3, if possible) Blue Gouramis and still have a healthy stocking? I have 2 Tidal 75s in the tank, so I don’t think filtering will be an issue as much as swimming space.

A201

Most Discus keepers would recommend keeping a Discus only tank.
I'm impressed that you have had success with your mixed community.
Probably not a good idea pushing your luck buying other species besides Discus.
Discus are your money fish. The rest are just a supporting cast.
A 125 g. Is plenty big for seven or eight Discus.
You might invest in a couple of Tidal 110's.
Be sure to keep the temperature between 82 - 86 degrees.

Arkodios

Most Discus keepers would recommend keeping a Discus only tank.
I'm impressed that you have had success with your mixed community.
Probably not a good idea pushing your luck buying other species besides Discus.
Discus are your money fish. The rest are just a supporting cast.
A 125 g. Is plenty big for seven or eight Discus.
You might invest in a couple of Tidal 110's.
Be sure to keep the temperature between 82 - 86 degrees.
My community has been running for over a year now, though the Discus were only added a few months ago. We’ve had minimal aggression, I suppose it’s due to the vegetation in the tank. It has a 3 XL Amazon Swords and two of them have a lot of runners, so the fish have a lot of hiding spaces if there happens to be any aggression. If I were to add more Discus, would the aggression come from them or would other fish attack the Discus? The Gouramis I have found to be extremely peaceful, so any aggression at all comes from the Angelfish, and even then, I haven’t seen much aggression coming from them besides curiosity when it comes to food. I’m not planning on adding any more, though.

A201

The potential problem really isn't aggression, its disease. If stressed, Discus become more susceptible to disease as compared to Angel's, Severum or Gouramis. They are prone to "Hexamita" if water conditions deteriorate & often carry parasites in their gut, which can overwhelm their immune system if conditions worsen.
I currently keep a mixed community too, various Barbs, Tetras & Loaches, so obviously I'm not a purist, or biotype hobbyist, Lol.
It's been many years since I kept Discus. Although attempts were made adding various species as tankmates, I learned things worked better when the Discus were kept in a species only situation.
Welcome to Fishlore. Lots of friendly & helpful members here.
Plenty of Discus keepers.

kansas

I read pearl and blue gouramis don't get along. Do your fight much?

Arkodios

I read pearl and blue gouramis don't get along. Do your fight much?
Well first I’ll give an update on my tank. After reading about Discus, I decided I wasn’t taking proper care of them and with my mixed community it would be impossible without taking too much time out of my day. So no more Discus. 2 Angelfish died in the holding tank so I’m down to 3 (not ideal if two of them decide to pair). Using AqAdvisor, I decided to add more gouramis. I now have 4 Pearl Gouramis and 3 Blue Gouramis (had 4 but they came from Pet Supermarket and very clearly had some sort of intestinal disease— one died and the rest seemed to be cured). So far, I’ve seen absolutely no aggression between them. I was surprised to hear that they’re supposedly aggressive. Of course, everyone’s experience differs. But mine have no aggression (at least yet, maybe in the future). I think a lot of the aggression happens with improper care and maybe breeding behavior, which hasn’t occurred in my tank

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
belveder69
Replies
Views
dbblackdiamond
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views