125 Gallon Sa/ca Tank Build

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
So im starting a new 125 gallon tank. The 327 gallon tank i had ended with a disaster and huge fight with the delivery service. So anyway i have begun ordering everything for this tank. I picked the tank and stand up for 150 dollars. I am in the process of sanding down the sand to re-stain it, and roughing up the trim on the tank to paint it black. I am waiting on my 2 sunsun 304B filters, 2 300 watt eheim heaters, RO buddie and a few other things to come in. I dont know if im going to mess with real plants this time or not. Its going to be stocked with:
1 angel
1 red spot sev
1 EBA
1 BP
1 Oscura Heterospila
School of diamond tetras
5 hoplo cats
10 aenues corys
I have to use RO water because my tap is filled with nitrates and ive tried and tried to fight with it and its just not working. With this stocking what would be an ideal pH, GH and KH.

f60724bb150ea418dc8bc8105884f254.jpg

58a2da0eb360a498ae041ec0f950c7a1.jpg

Sanding down the stand and tank trim getting ready for paint and stain.

fcb00318e1dffe7d3096c070ee17a96b.jpg

79864410c55d29f23311ab00ffea18c1.jpg

Got the tank trim roughed up and it masked off ready for paint. Im also painting the back side black.

Last edited by a moderator:

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
f4f9fac31215658233403aa6aceb17e5.jpg

First coat of paint on the trim and backside. Only 2 maybe 3 coats left.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Looks really nice.

I like the stock. Have you attempted to locate the oscura yet? You may find it rather difficult. I'll be interested to see if this stocking will work out long term.

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have an awesome lfs by me that said they can get 1 in when i am ready. They actually have a full grown one already so i went up to check him out to see how they look as adults. They are pretty cool looking.

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Will do. The place is called "Gerbers Tropical Fish" i think they may have some of their fish online. It is the best fish store i have ever been too by far. Im lucky enough to have several exotic fish stores around me.

Thurgood11

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Will do. The place is called "Gerbers Tropical Fish" i think they may have some of their fish online. It is the best fish store i have ever been too by far. Im lucky enough to have several exotic fish stores around me.
Wow! From the pictures from their website that place looks legit!

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Im not sure where you guys live but if your ever around the south western part of ohio its definately a place worth stopping and seeing. And they workers there are all people that have their own tanks and know what they are doing and saying.

woodsonfan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You live around Dayton, OH? I'm in Cincinnati and have driven to Gerber's many times! Such a great selection. A bit pricey, but good quality fish.

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You guys should feel lucky. I'm pretty much limited to aquatic critter here in middle tennessee. THe fish hobby just isn't that strong down here.

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
There is a place right behind aquatics and exotics called wet pets. Its a great store too.

You guys should feel lucky. I'm pretty much limited to aquatic critter here in middle tennessee. THe fish hobby just isn't that strong down here.
If you ever are in the mood for a drive, come north about 5 hours. I know of 5 or 6 fish stores within an hour of me. And that doesnt include your chain stores like petsmart and petland.

Nice! We have a good selection around us. I go to Monfort Aquarium, Top Shelf Aquatics, and Aquatics and Exotics mostly.
Wet pets behind aquatics and exotics is a nice place too.

Well i got the last coat of paint on the tank trim and backside. I will post pics tomorrow when i get the masking paper off. Ive also decided to scrap the stand that came with the tank and build my know like i did with my past 2 tanks.

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
e4a3ec55c597b0b7a94dc1e1a59e8949.jpg

The tank is painted and ready. Just needs cleaned.

85a4f2b620e72cccb92f0bcf6f84f708.jpg

The beginning framework of the new stand. A little ways to go still but getting closer.

Stephen Hiatt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Before you stock it - more ideas

In my experience I've found that Angels like to live in pairs, even if it isn't male/female. Even numbers work best.

2-6 Angels
1 Red Spot Sev
2 EBA
1 King Kong Blood Parrot (better body shape than normal BP)
1 Oscura Heterospila
5 Hoplo Cats
2-6 Polypterus

Species of Polypterus is up to you. Senegalus are the cheapest, while Delhezi and Lapradei are the best mid priced polys imo. If you plan to upgrade you could also try Ornates, they have amazing color and personality, but get a little large. Be careful though, because after you buy the first, it becomes an addiction!

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
40726dc52094f6c02d6df3b81f3d127f.jpg

Got a little more work done on the stand, got the frame finished and started to add the front and sides before i had to go pick my daughters up from the sitters. And i picked up my glass versa tops.

I have been wondering if the black diamond blasting sand will be too rough and sharp for corys?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom