125 gallon pond how many koi?

AllAboutAngelfish

i am buying a 125 gallon pond but i need to know how many koi can go in it ( Full Sized)

and if i can keep a reasonable amount i will go to common shubunkin and comet goldfish.

SnookusFish

Cant really keep any adult koi in a pond that size. Go with goldfish or other smaller fish that are ok in ponds.

AllAboutAngelfish

SnookusFish said:
Cant really keep any adult koi in a pond that size. Go with goldfish or other smaller fish that are ok in ponds.

Darn!

RayClem

Young Koi can be kept in an indoor pond while they are juveniles. However, adult Koi can reach 36" long, so they will eventually need a large outdoor pond.

Some of the less active goldfish can be keep at a stocking level of 1 fish per 20 gallons, but if you want to keep some of the more active varieties like Comets you need a lot more tank. They can live for over ten years and grow to a size of 12". Thus, two adult comets would be about right in a 125 gallon tank or pond.

Is the pond designed for indoors or outdoors? If you are planning an outdoor pond, it needs to be deep enough so it does not freeze solid. Where I live in Northern Illinois, that would be 3 feet deep. If you live in a warmer climate, then it does not need to be so deep. You can also install a heater in your pond. Since the heater would be submerged in the water, make sure you are in compliance with local electrical codes.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Koi need 500 gallons each, I would suggest: Rice fish, mosquito fish, cherry shrimp, and goldfish. And like RayClem said, it needs to be deep enough it doesn't freeze. Or you need a ton of water movement on the surface so it doesn't.

AllAboutAngelfish

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Koi need 500 gallons each, I would suggest: Rice fish, mosquito fish, cherry shrimp, and goldfish. And like RayClem said, it needs to be deep enough it doesn't freeze. Or you need a ton of water movement on the surface so it doesn't.

WHAT!!!!! dont cherry shrimp need a heater!?

RayClem

AllAboutAngelfish said:
Since you have not posted your location, we have no idea what the climate is in your area. Cherry shrimp would certainly need a heater where I live in northern Illinois, but they might not need a heater in southern Florida, southern Arizona, southern California or in Barbados where one forum member lives.

It would be most helpful if you would revise your profile to include your location. That can be as general or specific as you wish. I list my location as Chicago suburbs, but do not list the town.

SouthAmericanCichlids

AllAboutAngelfish said:
I have heard them kept in quite cold temperatures, as long as it doesn't freeze over, but they won't breed in these times, I believe aquarium co-op has been successful with this. But most will agree mid to high 50s should be the coldest.

AcornTheBetta

The would work in Texas, but not around here in NorCal where it was 20 F last night :(

BettasAreSuperior

AcornTheBetta said:
The would work in Texas, but not around here in NorCal where it was 20 F last night :(
Well, actually it was 30F. (Right?) Though it was freezing yesterday.

AcornTheBetta

BettasAreSuperior said:
Well, actually it was 30F. (Right?) Though it was freezing yesterday.
Nope. Monday it got to 20 where I am. IDK what it was yesterday. Maybe 35 where I'm at

BettasAreSuperior

AcornTheBetta said:
Nope. Monday it got to 20 where I am. IDK what it was yesterday. Maybe 35 where I'm at
Ohhhh well, we live about 6-10 hours away from each other so, it makes sense to have different temps.

AcornTheBetta

BettasAreSuperior said:
Ohhhh well, we live about 6-10 hours away from each other so, it makes sense to have different temps.
400 miles can make the climate very different.

BettasAreSuperior

AcornTheBetta said:
400 miles can make the climate very different.
That's true, also, that's what I said and was trying to get at. :)

SouthAmericanCichlids

In terms of cherry shrimp in freezing ponds. Watch this video. I think aquarium co-op is a reliable source.

NoahLikesFish

You could keep like 4-5 goldfish

Top Bottom