125 Gallon, Planted, What Do You Think?

Drew Hawker

Active Member
Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
36
Location
Florida
Experience
3 years
Last night stayed up unthinkably late in order to finish planting these guys. A huge thank you to Trins Fish for the hook up on the plants. They definitely over delivered with great healthy plants.

Well here is the set up.

125g Tank
Fluval Fx6 Canister
Sera Flore Inline Reactor
GLA Co2
Aqueon 1250 power head
EVO QUAD LED (96x3w)
CalAqua Drop Checker
Milwaukee pH Controller



Inside the tank

-Pool Filter Sand
-Java Moss
-Dwarf Sag
-Dwarf Hairgrass
-Baby Tears
-Italian Val
(Looking to add more plants + fish soon)


The tank is hooked up to timers and the lights and co2 are automated.

Root tabs will be in place by the end of the night and will also fertilize the water column for the first time. Let me know what you think of Day one of plants! Sorry for the fuzzy pictures. (If only I spent a fraction of what I've spent on this tank on a new phone lol)
 

Attachments

aniroc

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,246
Reaction score
441
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nice, very nice....Sera Flore is a reactor, right?

Any reason why you have both a pH controller and drop checker?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Drew Hawker

Drew Hawker

Active Member
Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
36
Location
Florida
Experience
3 years
aniroc said:
Nice, very nice....Sera Flore is a reactor, right?

Yes the Sera Flore 1000

Any reason why you have both a pH controller and drop checker?
pH Controller for automation and the drop checker for a second reference. Luckily using the kh/ph chart I was able to dial in my controller on the first attempt.

From what I've read you have to re-calibrate the probes over time.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4
OP
Drew Hawker

Drew Hawker

Active Member
Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
36
Location
Florida
Experience
3 years
aniroc said:
Nice, very nice....Sera Flore is a reactor, right?

Any reason why you have both a pH controller and drop checker?
Yes it is a reactor, my bad.
 

pRoy33

Active Member
Member
Messages
238
Reaction score
45
Experience
1 year
Looks awesome. What type of wood is that?
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,000
Reaction score
3,377
Location
NC
Experience
3 years
Looks great! I love the sloping sand.
If you add some large rocks around the bases of the pieces wood, you can add on to the natural look and plant in the spaces created.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
Drew Hawker

Drew Hawker

Active Member
Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
36
Location
Florida
Experience
3 years
pRoy33 said:
Looks awesome. What type of wood is that?
The wood is Manzanita Drift wood. You can find it online at several places but I actually found it at a weird place. I was at Repticon in Tampa and a guy with a stand had a huge pile of it and I bought 75% of what he had. Buying in person is nice as you can physically see what your buying and know what will fit/work. There are numerous sites that sell it.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
Drew Hawker

Drew Hawker

Active Member
Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
36
Location
Florida
Experience
3 years
SwI'm Shady said:
Wow, looks really great so far. The differing heights of sand looks nice!
Thank you! I started with just the "hill" on the right then after it sitting completely empty aside from the wood and reading up on aspect ratios for good presentation I decided on a more subtle hill slightly off centered. Its seems to have worked as the feedback so for has been great. Thank you so much everyone!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
Drew Hawker

Drew Hawker

Active Member
Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
36
Location
Florida
Experience
3 years
AmazonPassion said:
Looks good. Can't wait until the plants grow out.

Where did you get the driftwood?
Locally at a pet keeping convention, Repticon in Tampa is where the wood came from; Manzanita drift wood.

Root tabs are in place and also start the PPS fertilizing method. Co2 is keeping up at 30ppm easily so lets keep our fingers crossed that it will grow in quickly. Currently just need to buy a syringe for more accurate dosing. Any idea where I can buy a syringe locally? I don't want to seem like a junky but it'd be nice to not have to order it online.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
Drew Hawker

Drew Hawker

Active Member
Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
36
Location
Florida
Experience
3 years
-Mak- said:
Looks great! I love the sloping sand.
If you add some large rocks around the bases of the pieces wood, you can add on to the natural look and plant in the spaces created.
I agree about needing to break up the wood from the substrate for a more natural effect. I think by doing this it can take the tank to the next level. Only thing is I'm concerned about the rock color with the bright white sand and what would look right.

My original plan was for Trident java and possibly mix a few crypts around the base of the wood. I feel this will achieve the blended affect that we both agree the tank needs. I originally ordered this plant with my large plant order unfortunately they where out of stock and I'm just going to wait until I plan to place another plant order.

I'm open to suggestions on the type/color of rock to use. Maybe a reference of other rocks you've seen that look well with the pool filter sand. Also open to suggestions with plant ideas that would help blend the wood into the substrate.
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
Drew Hawker

Drew Hawker

Active Member
Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
36
Location
Florida
Experience
3 years
It's funny Mak. When I try to find any pictures of something similar to what I'm trying to achieve with the drift wood I've noticed they mostly have dark grey rocks under/around the wood. You're awesome. Now just where to find some rocks similar to the pic.
 

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
5,000
Reaction score
3,377
Location
NC
Experience
3 years
Drew Hawker said:
It's funny Mak. When I try to find any pictures of something similar to what I'm trying to achieve with the drift wood I've noticed they mostly have dark grey rocks under/around the wood. You're awesome. Now just where to find some rocks similar to the pic.
Haha I agree, rocks help a lot! If you have a good LFS nearby they should carry rocks, though I know some people don't always have the best fish stores around. A lot of aquascaping that you'll see online is created in Europe, their LFS's more commonly sell aquascaping material than here in the US.

The rocks in my tank were collected from a stream outside. This can be problematic for your tank though, if you can't find a bunch of large rocks in your area.

I think that leaves online as the only other place.
buceplant.com sells hardscape material and what they call readyscapes, where they basically send you a collection of stones they have already pre-selected to go well with each other.
aquariumplants.com also sells rocks.
You could probably find some stuff on amazon and eBay as well.

The one rock I'd be wary of is seiryu stone. No doubt it is one of the most beautiful types of rocks, commonly used in iwagumI tanks, but it will increase your hardness and ph over time. I've even read about "fake" seiryu starting to be sold that was collected in China, not Japan (where it originates) that leaches even more than the "real" type.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #16
OP
Drew Hawker

Drew Hawker

Active Member
Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
36
Location
Florida
Experience
3 years
apoorlydrawnape said:
What fishes are you planning on putting in there?
Just added 22 rummynose tetras and two tiny clown plecos. Very healthy fish from a LFS. I cannot get a good picture with my terrible phone camera but here it is anyways.

Plan on having 30-40 rummynose
2 Clown Plecos
12-15 Congo tetras

From here I'm not sure what fish I will add. Possibly 12-15 Kuhlis. 1 African brown Knife. 5 german blue rams. Tell me what you guys think or would suggest.
 

Attachments

RedLoredAmazon

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,504
Reaction score
1,527
Experience
4 years
Drew Hawker said:
Currently just need to buy a syringe for more accurate dosing. Any idea where I can buy a syringe locally? I don't want to seem like a junky but it'd be nice to not have to order it online.
Just go to your local pharmacy and ask for one! Just tell them that you need one to help dose meds for your fish. You may get weird looks as the strange fish guy, but nothing too bad. Or if you don't want to say that and you are old enough, just say you need a medicine dosing syringe for your kid.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #18
OP
Drew Hawker

Drew Hawker

Active Member
Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
36
Location
Florida
Experience
3 years
-Mak- said:
Haha I agree, rocks help a lot! If you have a good LFS nearby they should carry rocks, though I know some people don't always have the best fish stores around. A lot of aquascaping that you'll see online is created in Europe, their LFS's more commonly sell aquascaping material than here in the US.

The rocks in my tank were collected from a stream outside. This can be problematic for your tank though, if you can't find a bunch of large rocks in your area.

I think that leaves online as the only other place.
buceplant.com sells hardscape material and what they call readyscapes, where they basically send you a collection of stones they have already pre-selected to go well with each other.
aquariumplants.com also sells rocks.
You could probably find some stuff on amazon and eBay as well.

The one rock I'd be wary of is seiryu stone. No doubt it is one of the most beautiful types of rocks commonly used in iwagumI tanks, but it will increase your hardness and ph over time. I've even read about "fake" seiryu starting to be sold that was collected in China, not Japan (where it originates) that leaches even more than the "real" type.

I will have to start looking for rocks locally. Not any stones I can find near streams or anything nearby. All the streams/rivers locally are all sand. I've never personally wanted to add the rocks as most I've seen (though I haven't looked hard) are bright colored and or unsightly.

Not at the top of my list but I will end up with some eventually. When I do go looking I will avoid the seiryu stone. Thank you for the advice. Rocks would also give additional planting space for all the ferns exactly where I want them. Hmmm.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
Drew Hawker

Drew Hawker

Active Member
Member
Messages
56
Reaction score
36
Location
Florida
Experience
3 years
RedLoredAmazon said:
Just go to your local pharmacy and ask for one! Just tell them that you need one to help dose meds for your fish. You may get weird looks as the strange fish guy, but nothing too bad. Or if you don't want to say that and you are old enough, just say you need a medicine dosing syringe for your kid.
I was weighing out all my dry ferts exactly as described in the directions from GLA for their PPS fert package. I mixed into the 500ml bottles provided. At this point I thought I was home free only to find out I've concocted such a potent mixture even my huge tank only requires less than 2ml of solution a day. For this I would like something more accurate to dose with rather than the bottle provided with the 5ml, 10ml, 15ml measuring increments. So the syringe I figured would be the easy way to go.

Eventually I will turn to the EI dosing method when I have a water changing setup that's a bit more practical than a five gallon bucket. Tell me if I'm wrong but from what I understood the EI method requires more water changes due to having a larger load of fertilizers. The PPS dosing still requires the water changes just not as often. I'm new to planted tanks and would love to hear your advice.
 

aniroc

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,246
Reaction score
441
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am personally not in favor of rocks in planted tanks, especially when you inject CO2 and don't know for sure what the increased acidity might dissolve out of the rock. You can try chunks of MopanI wood as planting support.
Expect Manzanita to develop a slimy fungus in a few days (mine did and had to take it out of the water for proper cleaning).
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
100
Guests online
2,038
Total visitors
2,138

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom