125 Gallon Oscar Tankmates

Newb21

Hi all. I'm learning more and more about Oscars but I still don't think I know enough just yet to pull the trigger so I could use some help!

I'm working on clearing up space in my home for a 125 gallon aquarium. Considering how messy Oscars can be, I was thinking of adding three Raphael Striped/Talking catfish (or maybe Pictus catfish if I wanted to avoid the nocturnal nature of the Raphael) to the tank. Would the tank be large enough for all 4 fish (1 Oscar and 3 catfish)? If not, is it large enough for 2 Oscars or would conflict between the two be inevitable?

Please don't judge. I'm learning and no decision has been made and nothing is set in stone.

A201

One adult Male Oscar will fill a 125 gal. Maybe add a Feather Fin Catfish for a bottom feeder.
Tinfoil Barbs (Altus Variety) grow to seven or eight inches, might make good tankmates as well.

Upvote 0

Newb21

One adult Male Oscar will fill a 125 gal. Maybe add a Feather Fin Catfish for a bottom feeder.
Tinfoil Barbs (Altus Variety) grow to seven or eight inches, might make good tankmates as well.
Thank you for your response! Since tinfoil barbs are a schooling fish, I figured 6 of them would be too much in a 125 with an Oscar. I had considered a featherfin. Can only one be in the tank?

Upvote 0

A201

I have two seven inch Tinfoil-Altus in my 120 gal. They have been together for two years & do fine.
One Fether Fin would be fine. They grow pretty big, 7-8 inches. Too big for the Oscar to eat.
Be a good idea to start all your fish together as juveniles.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Lucy
  • Question
Replies
Views
90indmaj
Replies
Views