125 gallon Oscar tank

Flyfrod

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm setting my 125 gallon tank up for oscars. I'm thinking of 2 oscars, EBJD, and my Red Forest jewel that is in my 65 gallon tank. Would this be okay?

Treefork

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds good to me. I love Oscars. Some will probably tell you that is not big enough, but with good water changes I think it will be good. (Just don't go putting a pleco or something in there.) What's a red forest jewel? How big do they get?

Akari_32

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
sounds good! have you seen those Albino Long Finned Oscars? i saw one at my PetSmart and it was the neatest little thing! it even followed my finger around the front of the tank (probly thinking it was something good to eat o.o)! <3

Flyfrod

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Red forest jewel gets around 4in. Here's one of the Oscars I want.

Attachments

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Flyfrod, those fish will be fine in a 125 gallon with good filtration and regular waterchanges.

oscar freak

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Howsit,i would'nt suggest you mix the 2 jewel cichlids are territorial fish and are surprisingly vicious for their small size.a breeding pair killed off my much larger oscar.

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oscar, he only has one Jewel, that picture is just for reference.

I think those fish would be fine and make for a wonderful tank

Amanda

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
With a good sump or canister filter it will be fine. Best of luck!
But also on a side note, EBJD's are VERY susceptible to ich - they do best in tanks that have UV Sterilizers in them. You may want to invest in one if you're serious about raising a healthy EBJD.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree with Amanda the EBJD may be a bit of a problem, but not because of ich.
I would have a bit of concern only because the oscar should grow about twice as fast as the EBJD.
And like everyone else said, clean water is a must. The jewels have some nice teeth and enjoy using them, clean water will help not getting any secondary infections to any bites it may dish out.

Brian

Chicklette

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That set up should work. BUT I Agree ^^, and they are very sensitive. You will have a pretty tank and I like the oscar you want. I saw one like that once, I really wanted it.

oscar freak

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
ok if you do plan on keeping only one jewel u will be missing the truly magnificent site of a couple in their breeding colours,their simply the most beautiful things i have ever seen

Chicklette

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, yes, it will work. I love that jewel. Good Luck, I hope it works out for you.

Bent72

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Best of luck with that setup i really hope you can make it work.... only because your chances having your oscars pair up is probably scarce so you may have some aggression to deal with between those two... now your oscars should happen to pair off i feel really sorry for that dempsy cause its gonna get thumped and your jewel in a year or so has the potential to become a snack... by no means am i saying this is going to happen but with cichlids being cichlids nothing is a guarantee again best of luck and keep us posted!!

Flyfrod

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just an update. I have my tank up and running. It consists or 2 tiger oscars, Firemouth, Redforest Jewel and a JD. I have had the tank stocked for about 6 weeks now with no issues. I keep a close eye on them and have a 55 gallon tank setup just in case.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads