125 gallon: Journal

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I got a used 125 gallon with stand & hood for $250 about 2 months ago. Actually got if from my only LFS. Gave us a great deal. I’m one of his best customers. lol Anyways, it’s been sitting out in my storage unit because we are moving into a new house just up the hill. The tank was finally moved into the new house last Friday! The house has been totally redone, everything brand new, he put extra support posts under the house where the tank will be sitting. That will give me a peace of mind. The house is not finished , the kitchen is still not done, so I have no sink to hookup to, to fill it right now. He was thinking we can still move in if the kitchen is not done and I just realized how am I suppose to fill the tank up!! I can use the hose outside with cold water and let the 2 heaters do their job & canister to filter water for a few days to make sure things are running properly and no leaks.

I thought about doing a fishless cycle with raw shrimp but it didn’t workout that way. I don’t think I’d have enough time to do it. So it’s going to be up to the established gravel, ornaments and take the AC110 filter off the 55 gallon & run on the new tank, take the extra biomax pack out of the AC70 and stick in the new canister.

Filtration: FX5
Heaters: 2 300w
Dual battery backup air pump

Current fish in 55 gallon moving into 125 gallon:
3 Silver Dollars
3 Angelfish
RTS
Albino Bristlenose
5 Giant Danios

Additional stock to 125 gallon:
4 more Silver Dollars
1 Gold Severum
3-4 Pictus Cats
Other Bristlenose from my 20 gallon ??

Note: All other fish from 20 gallon & hex tank will be going into 55 gallon. 20 gallon will be used as quarantine. Hex tank will not be setup.

lorabell

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well Congrats on the new one!!!!!!...(house and tank)

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've read that some BN pleco's can get aggressive towards other BN plecos in the same tank, but then again they probably weren't being housed in an 125 gallon tank. You might just keep an eye out for it.

Anyways, I can't wait to see some pics when this is all done!!!

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's all exciting! Best of luck, and it goes without saying that we will wait for pics!!

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
this sounds great so far to me

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Congrats! I too will be waiting for pictures Good luck!

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OK it's been like 2 days... where is the pictures? lol
We must have Pictures

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
I never did make it up to the house to clean it out, it wasn't a saltwater tank and it should be easy to wipe out. We may be moving in this weekend, I don't know if I am ready for this fish move!

I will get some pics, just be patient. lol

Thanks for the warning on the BN. If issues do happen I can put the other back in the 55 gallon. It's just that I already have 5 KhassI Red Tail algae eaters that will be moving into the 55 gallon. Didn't think I need the BN to be in there, and the tank may be a little overstocked. That's what I was thinking of.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
got the tank wipped out, rinsed the two bags of new gravel and spread it out and filled it up with the outside hose!!!! lol Apparently there are no leaks. attached the two heaters but didn't turn them on yet since there's no circulation yet. The canister we will finish setting up tonight. I took some pics and will load them tonight.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Got the FX5 setup and running lastnight! That was pretty cool watching the outtake bubbling, then it perge (looked like hot tub jet goin for a min), shutoff for 2 min and then restarted. There's still some air in there, I could hear slight bubbling going on, it will shutoff in 24hrs and blow air out, so that should hopefully take care of it. Also turned the heaters on. Things are going well.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
OMG! Going to be moving all of my fish this weekend! Everything is going to be just fine right?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
AlyeskaGirl said:
OMG! Going to be moving all of my fish this weekend! Everything is going to be just fine right?
I'm sure it'll all go smoothly We're here if you need us, though and best wishes for a successful move;D

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
bolivianbaby said:
I'm sure it'll all go smoothly We're here if you need us, though and best wishes for a successful move;D
Thank you!

Well, i've decided that I am moving the fish from the 55 into the 125 after work today.

I swear I have pics of new tank, just haven't gottin around to post them.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Finally got around to post a few pics. So, yes the tank is real, lol!

I'm waiting until I get the established gravel in before I put in decor. Right now that is 2 25lb bags of new gravel in there with a few decor for kicks because it looked so empty. lol

I am liking this filter! It's the FX5.

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking good

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's looking really nice!

Is that sand as substrate or black/white gravel mixed? It looks great!

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
BB it's gravel. Thanks for the compliment.

Just an update. Moved everything from 55 into the new tank on the 24th. Everything seems to be fine so far. My readings are zero which is not fine. So I really hope that I get some nitrAte readings soon just to give me a peace of mind. I am assuming since it's a bigger tank may take a few more days to get readings? I have a hose to hookup to sink if need emergency water changes with Prime. I am running the established aquaclears from the 55.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Update: Readings are all still zero. Not sure if I should get worried, it's been 5-days. Fish are really enjoying that big tank! Just wish I would get a nitrAte reading or something.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
My readings are 0, 0 and 5. I am really happy about it!

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Figured out how to use a hose that attaches to the faucet. boy that was a chore to get it goin.....getting all that air out first. lol Talk about nice, just sittin on the couch here watchin if fill back up slowly, but I am not complaining....NO MORE BUCKETS!!! Of course there was NO WAY I was doin the bucket thing with such a big tank! lol It's almost done fillin back up, did about 20% change.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads